Super 60 by Andy Green

• 2 weeks later...

Everything covered, in the process of rigging and aligning. Somehow the fuselage has developed a small warp towards the tail, not sure if its in the covering or damp in the wood.

It improved with the tailplane fitted. Done as best as I can, but if it flies wonky, I can always use a couple of mixes.

Andy

Double Maiden, Hmmm.!!

The AH is complete, but I said I'd take it to our next club night in its un covered state.

BTW. Both the Super 60 & Astro Hog are having the same scheme, ie antique profilm & blue paint trim.

The stand is a Great Mate - it was a chrimbo pressent a few years ago. I dont take it to the patch much, but its great in the workshop.

Andy

Very, very nice. Lovely to see one being built.

S60 is the first "proper" model aeroplane I can recall seeing as a child. I have built many and I still think it is "the" iconic model aeroplane.

Interestingly, until we discovered the Hobby Zone / park Zone Super Cub I felt it was the best initial trainer bar none.

I look forward to seeing the conclusion of this build.

David

• 2 weeks later...

The model is covered now, just deciding on where to put the paint, before final fitting out.

I'm going to paint this and my Astro Hog in similar schemes, and only want to mix one lot of paint, so I'll be bringing the AH up to the same place as this S60.

In the meantime I'm able to get soe stuff done that wont be affected by paining.

I just love the Ashlok connectors, It makes assembly at the patch just that bit quicker.

The middle picture shows the final aileron linkage. I like to use these turned aluminium horns. Not cheap (about £1 each) but do make a neat job.

Undercarriage bent up and soldered. The joint is secured with some tinned copper wire, fluxed well, and soft soldered with a 110W iron.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 26/03/2012 10:06:12

• 5 weeks later...

Its been a while since an update: As with the Astro Hog the reason being I messed up the painting stage. What I do when I mess up is I put it aside to calm down and start again. This cool down period can take a whle depending on how hard I am on myself.
I thought it was too much trouble to get the spray equipment out so attmpted to paint it. Ended up with brush marks in the finish. Now this was nothing to do with the Klass Kote paint and more to do with me rushing things & not mixing the paint to the right consistancy. Ended up sanding it back as far as I could and spraying. Happy with it now, and the paint is so easy to use and forgiving when you do it properly. There are still some bleeding visible, but I've tried to hide the most visible with white trim tape.
Business end - the PAW 29.
Tail end showing elevator servo.
Couldn't resist putting it altogether
Andy

• 1 month later...

Pictures from the maiden outing.

3 flights, all lovely. Flew straight as a die. I was a bit worried as the fiin is a bit off, (moved slightly on gluing and I didn't notice.

Thanks to my partner Maria, who not only came to the patch with me, took the flying shots.

The romance of the gentle purr of the diesel soon ended when I had to clean it down.

Andy