Black Magic Plan Build

Tim C

Looking good, Timthumbs up

I'd do it in four pieces - bottom, both sides (including stab) and then top. This way all the seams face downwards. As you've already covered the forward part of the fus, unless you lift the covering at the rear, your joins will have the potential to 'lift in the wind', IYSWIM. Ideally, any overlap should go with the airflow, not against it.

However, the BM is such a pussycat, I don't think airspeed should be too much of an issue.....wink 2

Pete

Pete,

The coverings a Polyester Shrink, Profilm like in its cababilities, and I think I might stuggle to do the top in one bit with lower stab as well, just too many compound curves, might do a smaller section each side first around the stab, what do you think?

Your correct of couse I should have done the rear first!!, there a little step bettwen the sheeting and the stringers, but I suspect I may be able to 'lift' the front covering enoght to get a neat overlap

Unfortunately mine is about 500 miles south of me at present, but from memory the sequence I used took account of the trickiness of that lower stab. Bottom, both sides (when I said including the stab above I forgot to add that I'd covered the lower stab with a separate piece, the long side section first, then each side of the stab down to the top corner longeron).

The smaller section on the stab ran just forward of the front of the fin, overlapping at the leading edge, then the final top sheet ran back to cover those smaller sections.

It wasn't easy to get a good shrink on the concave part of the stab but heating and rubbing down with a cloth made a passable job.

Clear as mud, eh?smile

Pete

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A real blast from the past !!. I flew one of these with diesel engine a single channel radio back in the late 60s. Complete with a rubber band powered escapement which operated the rudder. I can still remember the sequence on the single button on the transmitter press once and wait what seemed forever for something to happen and maybe it would turn right. Two presses and it turned it left. MY mate flew a mercury matador converted from free flight to radio. Ah Good old days.

• 1 month later...

Black magic was finally had its maiden on Saturday

Massively overpowered on 260+ Watts, A touch of the Dutch roll if your heavy on the rudder, but dialling lots of expo seems to have tamed the sensitivity, glides for ever, but a great plane. The all Black finish does make orientation a tad difficult at times