Matador

Here we go
Does this count as a start ?

I have this ready .

I have been playing a lot with this. I can start it every time, but sometimes it takes longer than others...

More importantly, here's my start
Shown along with my new 80 grit aluminium oxide slot cutters

A long way to go, don't hold your breath, this may come in fits and starts..

Chris,
That looks like the single channel radio i started with. I still have the receiver, but the transmitter was among other modelling items which were stolen.

Is yours superhet or regen?

Mine was the latter so I could only fly when no one else was araound, but it taught me a lot about controlling with bang bang redio on rudder only.
Malcolm,

Hi Malcolm mine was a superhet but the receiver is long gone.

I have installed a magic widget in the transmitter bought form someone who understands these things. It converts button presses into a modern buddy box signal.

So the idea is to fly the Matador with my Spektrum gear, but to have the option of plugging this in to have a play at single channel. All the time having the safety pilot able to take back control.

I think that's a wise decision Lee, the leading edge does look very flimsy now. I'm going to be considering whether to swap mine for something a little more substantial while I build the rest.
The tail is shown rubber banded on but if this moves at all, trims will change. So I'm wondering what to do there too.

Don't know whether you considered increasing the size of the rudder and elevator but I increased the rudder size from the word go on my mini-super then had to remove the elevator and increase the size a bit to get a more comfortable flair on landing.
I also made the tailplane bolt on.

This has just whetted my appetite. I have an original 1960s Mercury Matador kit in the loft that I bought new but never gor round to building. I guess now is a good time to bring it to life. However, now that I am all electric, I guess that I will have to do some modifications.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum, an original Matador kit is worth quite a lot of dosh these days, a Veron Cardinal went for £106 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. may be better to flog it to a collector and build one from the BB kit at £50. An original new Super 60 kit went for well over £200 a few months back Looking forward to your build blog which ever way you decide to go.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, I've built one of these , still got it, got a paw 09 r/c in mine standard 3 channel servos. Found I had to put alot of down thrust on the motor.also prop uo the t/e of the wing,& l/e of the tailplane to kill the climb.Flies a treat thou on a calm summers eveing up the local field. Would advise you glue on 2x 1/16 ply plates where the wing bands will cross the trailng edge,so as too stop them cutting in.Covered mine with solatex wing, & fuz, tailplane assy covered with tissue doped, and pinned down whilst drying. the only way I could stop it bowing.Yes mine is banded on tail assembly, works for me little pencil mark where the tip of the rudder meets the fuz, got a 2oz tank fitted which gives me around 6/7 minutes of engine run,nice to stooge around, think they call it R/C assist.
cheers Graham

Edited By gillyg1 on 01/12/2011 20:22:12

Thanks for all the info Graham.

The plan does indeed give two rigging angles for the wing, one for R/c and one for free flight.
I've soaked some thin cyano into the wing T/E to harden it up for wing bands. It may still benefit from a bit of ply as you say.
How do you think it will go with a 1.5 cc engine then? Hopefully it won't be too much.
I have a 1cc tank for it but now you have me wondering about a bigger one...

Thanks again.
Chris

A friend of mine used to fly a Matador carrying about 18 oz of radio gear, it flew nicely powered by an old type OS15. At the same time I flew a Veron Skyskooter using a Frog 149 Vibromatic with about 14 oz of gear. The performance of the Skooter was marginal with the Frog but transformed when I changed it for an Enya 09.
I think your matador will be just about right with the ED Hornet considering the much reduced weight of modern gear.