Matador

Excellent news Chris.....very pleased to hear it. I did have some reservations about your overhang & if it would vibrate excessively (oo-er Vicar...smile o)

I assume you went for the upright engine installation to ensure the maximum about of diesel residue was flung onto the model....thumbs up

Did the Frog behave nicely for you? I find that leaving them in a dark drawer & threatening them from time to time really can make the engine run better next time out.....

• 1 month later...

Another great diesel session this evening. Flew Matty alongside Danny Fenton's Mamselle.

Here's a few great pics that he took. Thanks Danny.

deadstick (1280x680).jpg

dsc_1008 (1280x850).jpg

dsc_1023 (1280x850).jpg

Remind me, why do we like electric so much? :-

dsc_1025 (1280x850).jpg

I'm sure Big Bandit would have been proud, we thought of him a few times as we flew. Thanks for the Decals Chris. RIP.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 10/08/2012 14:29:44

Fantastic Chris and Danny,

Stil waiting to maiden my Matty

Had to remove a servo from it today for my PSS Mirage but will get it maidened soon!

Chris, did you "pack up " the T.E. of the wing to sam e incidence as the tailplane ?

I havn't, but if needed/ best, I will before maiden!

Cheers

wink

No leave the incidence as shown on the plan. Mine is set up as shown for a free flight model.

She needs a little down elevator under full diesel power but glides perfectly.

I think you have a throttle don't you? If so then you can can make her climb and descend with the throttle stick and should hardly ever need to use elevator.
Rudder can be used for anything from gentle nudges as if you're guiding a free flighter around the sky, right up to full deflection, adding full down as soon as the wings are vertical and completing a nice rudder roll

I'm sure you'll find she'll pretty much fly herself, especially when flown nice and slow.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Chris

Hello Chris

I have not been following this build, but after seeing the piccie in the mag I thought I would wonder in.

After having read it all, it is a very nice build log, the electric-IC pods are great! But of course the IC pod is superior... (you need more IC planes mate, your missing out!!!)

I have never been interested in vintage models, I must confess. Only look at sports models, warbirds, and Concorde. But now I am changed, this is my vintage plane!

Falcon

I must confess, I didn't build it! I was given it by a kind man, it's a Keil Kraft Falcon, 96" span so a tad bigger than your Matty! OS 70 Surpass up front, that will certainly fly it!

This build log has inspired me to get this great big thing flying, I've run the engine and got the servos all working, next step I suppose is the skies when I get a calm evening.

Your Matador is fantastic, glad that you had some nice flight time as well. Have many happy flying hours, glad Danny Fenton's Mamselle is good as well.

Big Bandit would be proud, such a shame he can not see the photos. Very sad indeed, you've got a bit of him flying with those decals.

CS

CSB that looks a lovely model, I saw it on your thread when you first got it.

I think you'll really enjoy it. Vintage is very different to more modern planes, easier to fly in many respects. The Matador is better when the speed is kept low and it's allowed almost to fly it's self. I suspect the Falcon will be much the same.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Steve, I suppose Concorde is a vintage plane since the youngest one is 33 years old, and she is a 43 year old design! Falcon may get a flight tonight, been preparing it today.

Chris, I think I'll enjoy it, nice and different from my usual Funfly flying. As I have just said, I may get her up tonight, I'll tell you how it goes if I do.

CS

Chris,

It looks like your Matador performs better than mine so well done. I think it's all down to modelling accuracy and the need to keep the old vintage models as light as possible. The trim issue is is interesting and I can only attribute the changes on my model were made necessary by my alterations to the tail-plane, and the relatively bad flying characteristics are due to slight warps on the flying surfaces and the tail-plane being slightly out of true.

I was glad to read also about Danny's success with the Mamselle.

As for CS's Falcon it should fly perfectly well in a breeze as mine does----a super plane.

I was going flying today at Barton's Point for the first time since March but I gather the wind speed will become excessive as it was yesterday. Oh well I can always mow the grass!

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 11/08/2012 12:56:29

I think it's probably down to the weight difference Mike, although any warps won't help.

As you've obviously seen, heavier means flying faster. When my Matty flies fast the nose pitches up so would need the incidences changing. But I much prefer it pottering around nice and gently, as the low weight thankfully allows.

Yep, I was looking at going out later today but the wind has really picked up, ah well, more chores can be polished off..

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested, we flew the Falcon tonight! I let Dad take off, it was a new journey for us! Massively overpowered on the 70, took off on 1/4 throttle with no up elevator! Rest of flight was on low idle, and she still climbed! Needed a load of down trim as well! Flew beautifully, I had a nice long go, very relaxing, slow and nice! Dad did some great low passes, looked fantastic! Landing was left to Dad, with cross wind and the fact that she was very tricky to get down! Dad did it beautifully, we've hit a winner with this! We reckon a Saito 45 would easily fly it nicely.

Flew the Funfly afterwards, and was wandering why I needed so much up elevator and then she dropped a wing, and I realised the poor thing was stalling! I was so used to flying the Falcon at walking pace that I sub-consciously tried the same with the Funfly! The plane responded brilliantly as usual and I got my groove back!

CS

Excellent new CS well done

These vintage models are so different aren't they?
Surprising how little power they will fly on too.

But yes they are so different you need to convert flying style between models. Well done for working that out while the Funfly was still in one piece.

Sounds like you had a great session.