Vic Smeed Coquette Build.

Hi Everyone,
Welcome to my Coquette build blog. For the vintage mass build I have decided to tackle the Vic Smeed Coquette, a pretty little biplane of 30" span. I haven't decided on a power train yet, although it will be electric.
Originally a free flight ic model, the Coquette has an appealing shape and lines that promise a stable flier for calm weather and, thanks to its diminutive size, should tuck easily into a corner of my overcrowded workshop as well as my car.
I ordered a semi kit from the Old School Model Aeroplane Factory and the box arrived within a couple of days. The kit contains all the cut parts of balsa - all laser cut very cleanly from excellent quality balsa wood, saving me many hours of tracing and cutting out, not to mention being cut far more accurately than I could manage!
Now, my job requires me to spend a lot of time away from home in hotels around the world and so for this build I decided to put otherwise wasted time to good use and cobbled together a transportable building kit consisting of a small building board and basic tools to fit into a suitcase and take away with me. There are, however limits to the amount of building I will be able to do on a hotel room desk and while small components such as the tail can be built, I am going to run into problems when it comes to building the wings and fuselage, even for such a small model, so these larger parts will have to be made at home.
Well the build started this morning, the rudder parts having been stuck together on my portable board in the hotel here in Chennai, southern India.

I'll upload some pictures shortly, as soon as I have figured out how to do it...

There it is - the first bit!
Incidentally, I should have mentioned from the outset that for the "charity" element of the mass build I am supporting Dreamflight - an organisation that provides seriously ill and disabled children with a much needed holiday of a lifetime to Disneyland, Florida. Please take a moment to check out some of the videos at www.dreamflight.org

Edited By Jim Newberry on 17/12/2011 11:15:23

Tail feathers complete, tailplane and elevator awaiting final sanding, fin and rudder ready to cover. The covering will be translucent blue Profilm - mainly because I had plenty left over from a previous build but I always think it's a shame to cover open structure with opaque film. I had been thinking of using natural Solarfilm - my favourite covering - but was concerned about the weight gain (story of my life!)
So far I am very impressed with the fit of the laser cut parts and the quality of the wood from the OMAF kit - anyone looking to build this or a similar model would do well to check out their range.
Well that's all for today as it's 3am here in India but I'll be back tomorrow.

Hi Chris,
You could try emailling them at [email protected] I know Derek hasn't been well lately so the eBay shop was taken down for a little while. I also know that at the time I bought my Coquette kit it was the last one, so there may be a little wait until they have some more cut.
Meanwhile I'm just warming up the ol' covering iron and about to get busy with the Profilm.
Incidentally if you want to see a Coquette flying there is one on youtube - just put "Vic Smeed Coquette" into the search box and it will pop right up.
Jim

Much appreciated Jim,

I'll do that although I have 3 models to build for the vintage mass build and a garage / workshop to re-roof so there's no hurry . The model looks good and the video shows it off at it's best, good choice. As I said I'm a great fan of Vic Smeed designs and I'll need something for the May fly at Old Warden for 2012. It's different.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 18/12/2011 18:23:16

Jim,
Excellent choice

Mine is powered with an Indian Mills .75, it is marginal and needs all the power from the motor to climb.
But its great fun on those calm summer evenings (well was!..in need of a little repair).

Here is one of its flights.

Watching with great interest.

Rich

Rich, I have watched that video a few times, nice to "meet" the owner, albeit in a cyberspace way! Looks like a fine model, I noted the comments on youtube and will try to make sure mine has plenty of grunt.
Big Bandit, you know you can never have too many kits! When I ordered my Coquette I asked them to make sure the wrapping had nothing on the outside to alert SWMBO to the fact that it's another model - and it worked! "This? Oh it's a christmas present, nothing for you to worry about!" Order one before Xmas and stash it in a quiet corner of the shed!

Not much progress to report today - I've covered the tail feathers with Profilm which is one of my least favourite jobs, especially as I have a rubbish covering iron! Flying back to the UK tonight so I should be able to get some of the bigger bits put together over the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for adding the video David, looks a good flyer and I'm looking forward to getting my Coquette in the air. Oh hang on, that didn't come out how I meant it to!
There has been a bit of a hiatus on the building front due to Christmas, but I hope to get going again in the next few days.
Jim

Well everyone I've just been chewing over servo choice and as this size of model is significantly smaller than anything I'm used to I thought I would canvas opinion. Do you reckon a pair of 2.5g servos from 4-Max would do the job or should I be looking at something a bit beefier? Surely a tiddler like the Coquette would only need the very smallest servos?
Let me know what you think please.
Jim

I would agree with Chris on this. Its a small model with "radio guidance" I know, but 2.5g is really pushing your luck I feel.

Remember the only real penality for over-speccing servos is weight, and 9g isn't much of a penality for a model this size and gives you that little bit of extra security.

BEB