Wittman D-12 Bonzo

cymaz

I really look forward to seeing this, I built a Wittman Buster formula one racer years back. It flew well, but was oh so hard to land due to the uc being way far forward of the leading edge. I more or less tamed it by having lots of toe out on the u.c. and by landing as slow as possible, tailwheel first. The original is in the Smithsonian. Steve Wittman was evidently quite a remarkable character.

• 8 years later...

Slow progress. I've had the plans increased to 1/3 scale. 88" long fuselage, I will probably split the fuse behind the cockpit.

The wing panels are 30" wide. This is to scale though I expect to slightly increase the span by a little.....not by much.This will lessen the wing loading.

bonzo 88 2.jpg

bonzo wing.jpg

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 30/05/2020 23:58:57:

You will have the ribs cut out by 2029 then .......devil

D.D.

All the ribs are identical, thank goodness. I’ve asked Tina at Slec.

There was also a kind gent from the LMA who has drawn the wing in CAD and has done me proud.

Posted by cymaz on 31/05/2020 08:47:14:

No, Steve ( real name Sylvester) Wittman named most of his planes after cartoon characters in the 30’s and 40’s.

Bonzo

Edited By cymaz on 31/05/2020 08:48:47

Ha ha! I was being a tad facetious, since your original link from 2011 is dead, so I had no idea what the Bonzo was. By luck, I was not that far out from Bonzo the dog smiley. Anyway, I hope you make some progress.

It’s my retirement project. And there’s at least 5 years before I, hopefully, go semi at 60.

The young lad , Brian,(only in his 80’s who’s building a 100” DB Giant Mannock ) and I have discussed how to build it. He suggests building the formers with square spruce with diagonal members and gluing brace plates either side of all the joint. It should keep it light and strong. Then, lay down the upper most fuselage side stringer and build it up side down, slotting the formers over the plan....sounds good to me. Split the fuselage just behind the cockpit.

7fd55533-1994-4db8-8d6d-e4fcf173c679.jpeg

0ba731a1-0f05-45ba-a38a-879760892fd2.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 31/05/2020 11:04:00

Edited By cymaz on 31/05/2020 11:09:24

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I have new drawings from the son of Bob Sonnleitner. Bob drew up the drawings when the plane had a full renovation in 1986.

The plans are subject to copyright and I have Paul Sonnleitners’ permission to use them.I don’t want to upset Paul as he let me have the plans and didn’t want any money to post them from the US. The only thing he wanted was for me to build the plane in the future. 

It maybe best to contact him directly. If you manage to contact him, he may let you have a copy. He’s a nice guy and would like to keep his Dad’s work alive

• 8 months later...

I’ve been helped no end by Tim. He’s a wizard on CAD. 

I need some advice on general design parameters. If any of the RCME plan contributors comment, that would be great.

• Is there a guide on how far apart to place wing ribs? Granted, it’s based on a lot of criteria. The plane wouldn’t be doing high G loops and rolls. 
  • What the best way to build a light but strong tail surface? 

Ive included a couple of the CAD pictures to show what we’ve done already. The wing panel is about 3’ the ribs are now at 1”. There are wing tubes front and rear and a main spar 

04F8A2E4-61FA-428F-8CBB-9C907CD022E6.jpeg

4168AEB7-04C0-47EE-9D6B-FA275E19637D.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Robert, It is great that you are building Bonzo.  Steve W built Bonzo after he built  Chief OshKosh.    It is very easy to see the tail, rear fuse and wing similarities.  When you fly Bonzo, consider flying it a full throttle.   It took me two years to realize that is how Chief OshKosh needs to be flown….it’s a pylon racer after all.   Assuming it flies the same - you will really enjoy flying Bonzo!   The pics are all of Chief OshKosh for comparison with Bonzo.  If I built the wing again, I would use half the number of ribs compared to scale to reduce weight.    Good luck with the build!

Jon

010C6F33-1DC7-4EEB-BB8A-84403B508FD0.jpeg

0BAF3AC2-9751-444D-9C01-C6D84AB05A83.jpeg

0ADB76BD-3A1D-4DBE-91E2-B7817271DB06.jpeg

A821EEBF-0EE6-4999-8A2A-B2ECF755DF9F.jpeg

70130750-F046-429A-8F80-24E81EB23B56.jpeg

Edited by Jon Harper