Sharkface build, Big bandit

Big Bandit

Hi Lee,

I've been "pinging contra pistons for years", save turning up new ones. I think it dates back to when quality control hadn't been heard of and some of the stuff coming out of the DC factory wasn't that good. I worked in a model shop back in the early seventies for a short time.

When customers brought a motor back, you could tell when the contra piston was leaking by the bubbles passing the comp screw. Just pinged it and ran it up so they could hear it running in the back room (leave the door open), tell em not to adjust the settings till they were familiar with starting the thing and give em a free can of nitrated diesel as a sweetener .

Some of the older motors have a tread tapped into the open end to facilitate drifting the piston back into the bore.

The fibre washer you mention are a problem if the barrel has been over tightened into the crankcase. Old fashioned hardware shops some times stock them as sealing washes for older kitchen sink taps in a range of sizes, I always buy a few when I'm shopping for plumbing supplies, just in case.

If you haven't already thrown it away, the card board rolls that Christmas wrapping paper is sold on, these days they've gone for a stiff but thin card rather than a tube, save it it's brilliant for gaskets on small engines. Just soak it in after run oil after cutting, it'll out last the original.

I'm enjoying this mucking about with old motors malarkey again too much, and will have to get a grip and pull some finger with the Super 60 .

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Lee it's me again,

As for the PAW 149, their not too expensive these days, so I might invest in a new one with throttle and silencer, I'm not too keen on running motors without a silencer these days, even diesels.

With the older Bees and ED variants along with the Mills motors, I've used a cork bung on the end of a length of piano wire, slapped into the air intake as a crude form of throttle. Just whittle away a bit of cork so when it's rammed into the air intake the motor just keeps running. Some motors had an air bleed so they could be used to stop the motor at will, two of my Mills are good examples.

For the Matador I'll use a bung as a throttle stop rather than a fuel cut off or buy a new motor.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 06/01/2012 18:41:31

Hey Gonzo,

I've looked at the site, in fact Chris Bott has already gone down the S/C on 2.4 gig route with his Matador. It's very tempting and the lads from Phil and Shaun's Single channel and Vintage R/C page were at the Nats. For me I need more work space ie the garage when it has a new roof ( been in there today and the floors wet from yesterdays rain), but will give it a try sometime soon, particularly if I can get hold of an authentic S/C TX case just for the job. I'm quite happy building my own RC gear so it'd be a dodle, but it would have to be safe.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hey Steve,

It would be great if there was a flyin for Vintage including S/C , any road up I've done a bit in the shed today, first off I've sorted out my tissue boxes, just to see what I have.

Enough for a bit of arty stuff with a scalpel.

The end result. well I did say I was doing it for fun .

I've test run the motor, but was not impressed with the contra piston leaking,

A Teflon washer sorted it, but that blew on the second tank full.

So rather than waste time I fitted the glow head back on.

A right little screamer, with the silencer fitted it started to choke up very quickly. This one has a piston / barrel set that uses sub piston induction and the silencer creates back pressure that dilutes the incoming charge. I have a QZ in the shed that I'll fit tomorrow when the fuel proffers dry. It will add a few grams to the the AUW, but it's at the front where it needs to be, it will aslo give a power progression in fitting ever more potent motors (Golden Bee and Black Widow) without any trim change (they all weigh the same).

I've sourced a couple of new old stock props (cost 1-8) originaly, that nearly 2 bob or 10p these days.

Time for a snack then it's back to the Super 60. (these chutney jars are great for mixing and keeping dope in)

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Lee, they were a snip on Ebay, I have a 5 x3 KK prop and some 6 x 4 Cox props, just need to try em to see what gives the best results. I found this on the site that you mentioned.

Brilliant site, there's also a link to a cox site that's a fantastic source of information if you have a collection of the things.

Cheers,

Chris.

Forget throttle on an engine with a SPI liner - no good at all. As a matter of interest I have a genuine NIB Cox TD 051 RC. Came from the factory with silencer and RC carb but they didn't fit the TD SPI liner. Sorry, taking the thread to far off topic

Hi Gonzo, great sites I have them bookmarked already, and just won another 020 on Ebay, that'll be four now. The Cox Box. There's a couple more in the garage or mounted on one of my neezers for the Mayfly at Old Warden.

The odds Box. A few more Cox bit's along with others.

The one I'll be using in the Sharkface is a QRC that I picked up for a fiver at the Nats one or two years ago. It looked right manky, but half an hour had it sorted.

Before.

During the clean up.

After.

You do need the proper Cox spanners to dismantle and reassemble these motors.

The next motors lined up for the same treatment.

Cheers,

Chris.

Back to the Sharky, my mate rang this afternoon to see if I wanted to go flying, but I've got nothing charged up so I did a bit to the Super 60 and mounted the new motor on the Sharky.

Looking very happy with this one.

And I've sorted a proper Cox glow clip for it, on a 1.2 Nim.

There's the full starting kit but I think the fuel will have gone off now, the battery will definitely be flat.

Sharky's going to have to lurk in the shed for now, while I finish the Super 60.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...
You did amazing job Chris!!

Did You thing about any undercarriage? I do, cause wouldn't like to damage prop/fuse... I have an idea to bend some thin wire, put foamy wheels on it and cut from 1/16 or 1/32 fin-like shapes to cover wire... What do You think about that??

Regards
Tom

Hi Tom,

I feel that an undercarriage would not look right on the model, and I fly my T28 and F4U Corsair without an undercarriage and have only suffered a bent motor shaft when the under carriage was fitted.

I'm just back from a 4 1/2 hour drive to and from Wolverhampton in the snow and I need to relax in front of the telly.

Cheers,

Chris

• 3 years later...

I did one when it first came out but increased the span about 5 " I think it was. Shoved an Allbon Javelin on the nose and enjoyed ,if that is the word some hairy moments. I am not sure which radio I had then but it might have been O,S. Pixie with maybe an Elmic escapement Or the old G.G.Still got the Javelin although the crankcase nose broke off after a bellcrank pulled out of my super tough own design combat job.Fuel seepage was the root cause. You my be interested in What it was covered with Terrylene from an old overall jacket. Boy was it tough. The Javelin was fixed using those alloy repair kits then coated with Araldite to seal any leaks there may be it still runs but I can't remember if I had to replace the c/shaft though .Sorry to go so far off topic but I am easily side tracked. LOL Sharkface survived acouple of house moves but got crushed on the third. Always intended to make a 4 ch one but still not done. I am presently house bound by very bad hips so am just an armchair warrior til i get sorted. Extremely frustrated. Thanks for putting up with me peeps. John