Mercury Matador Build

Well here I am at last peeps,

I have bought me a Ben Buckle Mercury Matador today and and Nice new Enya 15-5 2 stroke to gently pull it through the sky!!

Might not actually get around to starting the build for a week or 2 so just to temp you all, here are a few pics of what I bought!!!

Hope you will all join me on here during the build to give me encouragement and advice!
(Im not fitting lights to this one like I did the WebBit!!!!)

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 05/01/2012 17:54:26

Hi David,

Good choice. Now the Sharkface is about done and dusted, then it's back on the Super 60. I've already got the Matador kit in the shed (had it about 3 years) so that's next, it'll be interesting to compare the builds as I'm sticking to the period motor group (ED Bee or PAW 1.49) without a throttle. Following with interest.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 05/01/2012 21:24:17

Edited By Big Bandit on 05/01/2012 21:24:41

Posted by Chris Bott on 05/01/2012 21:21:55:
Keep up at the back Mr Gilder, have a search in the search box for Matador and you'll see what Lee and I are doing. (not that I've got that far!)
Yes Sir Mr Bott Sir.....

Fine...... I have started!!!!

Thats it for today though!!!!

Welcome to the Matador club Dave. Seems we have our own mini mass build.

You've done more to your fus than I have, but then I do have a completed wing.
My aim is to produce one as similar as possible to my first ever RC model. So to that end it's kind of coming out with the "built by a 14 year old" look about it.

I'm going for the 1.5cc diesel too, and the option to fly single channel push button. However I do have some reservations about not being able to stop the engine in an emergency at a busy fly in.

Keep up the good work

Thanks for the welcome Chris.

I have at last made a start on a fuselage side!!!
I have been off work sick today but got VERY BORED...
Daytime t.v. is [insert own negative type word!]!!!

So this is where I am upto... Not a fast build but I will get there!!
This is the 1st time I have build an open framework model!!

I only seem to build stick fuselages! The question is, what glue do you use? I like to dry build so everything is square and lined up, then apply thin cyano. I do use thicker stuff for sticks though. Once removed from the board, all joints are reinforced with Ambroid, (the best balsa cement in the world) which forms a lovely fillet around the join and is both waterproof and resilient so will not crack. Done it this way for years and never have joint failures. Strange thing is I use Titebond 11 (aliphatic) for my cabinet making but rarely on models........

Edited By Andy Brough on 12/01/2012 10:17:08

Right,

Done a little bit more yesterday due to being off work ill.
I found it quite theraputic, cutting wood and glueing it together!!

So I have cracked on with the 2nd fuselage side, fitted F6+7 to the completed side, and started work on the Tail plane!! Not a lot really but as a well known supermarket would tell us, "Every Little Helps!"

So heres how it is looking now!!

Dave

Just a thought on stick fuse building, I always sand the first side completely flat which then forms the outside left hand side. The next side is buit on top of the other so any mistakes are replicated on the other but they are identical. The inner side then is the outer right hand panel. I then make all the formers to fit the actual space in the sides. I never cut the formers first. The trouble with a kit is the formers are already made so I guess one has to space to the formers using them as a gauge. Vintage plans are often a mile out, no CAD in those days........

• 1 month later...

Well I have not had much time recently to work on the Matador due to my other project!!! But had a little time today so done a little more!!

I have fitted the undercart holders onto the fuselage sides and done some more work on the tailplane!!

Not much but little and often will soon see results!!!

Unfortunately, I am going away on holiday next week for 10 nights, but I will try to crack on when I return.

Posted by David Gilder on 09/03/2012 17:11:32:

Well I have not had much time recently to work on the Matador due to my other project!!! But had a little time today so done a little more!!

Unfortunately, I am going away on holiday next week for 10 nights, but I will try to crack on when I return.

Never mind Dave, you'll have 10 days to do a bit wink 2wink 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Dave,

well don't worry mate - you're not far behind me! I was late starting and work has been really demanding the last 2-3 weeks so I've not had as much time as I would like.

But I'm taking the view that if I do a little every day - even if its only 10mins - eventually an aeroplane must emerge from the balsa dust! smile

BEB

Cheers BEB

I have to be honest, I think your Elf if coming along very quickly !! But I guess it really helps when you dont have to keep clearing it away after each bit of the build so you can use the Dining table for its secondary purpose of eating off!!

Well today is the last day I have been able to do anything on my build before going away on holiday!

So I've nearly finished the Tailplane and sarted on the Right Wing!!

So there we have it...

I will give you all an update when I have returned from holiday and done some more!!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Okay peeps, I'm back and hard on the Matador case!!

Holiday was fantastic and I got engaged whilst away!! Anyway, enough of that, back to the serious stuff!!!! hee hee

I took a trip over to Leeds today to see relatives and the Leeds model shop is only 300mtrs from where they live, so managed to get some servos, glue, fuel tank and Solartex ready for the Matador!!

I have managed to do quite a bit on the Matador for the last 2 hours so I wont keep wittering on and instead will just show you a few pics!!

So there we have it upto now..

Will be doing more on it tomorrow afternoon so will post an update again then!

Dave

Dave,

First of all Congratulations on the engagement and I hope you had a good holiday. Back to the Matty, like Chris said it's only the first two bays iether side of the centre rib and only on the top side. Not the way I would normally build wings, so I may do an alternative pair later, but should be OK for now. I'm about to upload the work for today as I've just joined the wings.

Cheers,

Chris.