Mercury Matador Build

Thanks for the congratulations guys.

Not got that much done on it today unfortunately.... I have put the engine bearers in and wanted to do the L.E. but alas, it appears there is a distinct lack of 3/16 balsa strip in the box???!!!sad

So I have ordered plenty of 3/16th and 1/8th balsa strip so I have plenty in if I want to have a go at making another or repairing this one!! (bound to happen at some point hey!!)

So very little progress can be made now until this wood arrives!

I have however been looking at how to install the fuel tank! Obviously, as a free flight model, it inly had a tiny tank (1/2 oz or smaller) so a 4oz tank is quite a size bigger!!

My plan is to mount the tank in the cockpit area (above the servo mounting area). This is across the C of G so should help keep the model balanced as the fuel is used up. Also it should help because the original engine and fuel tank would have been smaller and lighter then the Enya 15-V that I have for it!! So it should help offset the extra weight!!

I decided on Black and Antique for the colour scheme..... Black Fuselage and Fin and Antique Wings/Horizontal Stab!

So there we have it... Will update as and when I can.

Dave

smiley

• 2 weeks later...

Well the wood arrived and the wings have been finished off now.

So today (having borrowed a vice!) I set to bending the 12SWG u/c wire. I manged to bend it all to shape but when trimming the excess off, the section of the last bend snapped off leaving an u/c where only 1 wheel could be fitted!!! Damn and Blast!!!angry

So it was off to Wickes to see if they had any replacement and guess what..... They didnt!! crying

What they did have though was 4mm Anodised Aluminium which seemed perfect!! So a swift purchase made and back to the vice!! This stuff was bent cleanly and sucessfully and although thicker than the 12SWG wire supplied, it feels alittle lighter and in my opinion, looks alot better!!

Unfortunately I wasnt able to take any pics but will do so as soon as I can and pop some on here for you!!

Sadly, thats all I could do today as I then had to get ready to come to work!!frown

Cheers

Dave

Very true Chris!!

Its almost ready for covering! I have noticed a very slight warp in the fuselage but have corrected the tailplane level so that it will be in line with the main wing!! its only a very small twist and shouldnt cause any major issues!! (probably due to my building methods!! 1st time I have built a frame work model!). Never mind. Practice will make perfect (and more models!)

smiley

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the covering on now Danny, Still got to get the engine run in and maiden... Fingers crossed!!

Can you see any issues mounting the fuel tank higher than the engine? Not as iff its going to be doing aerobatics!! and if it does, there is something VERY wrong!!!

wink

Hi David, You are asking the wrong person there mate, I know the square root of nothing when it comes to IC. I know you can mount the battery cells above or below the esc on leccy, them thar lectrons don't mind a bit of a climb up the wire......

I am sure somebody will pipe up though wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Hi David,

The ideal position for the tank is with the outlet from the tank slightly lower than the spaybar or fuel inlet on the carb, between 5mm / 10mm. The reason is with a higher tank flooding of the motor is always a problem, its better for the motor to suck the fuel as it requires rather then using gravity to feed the motor regardless of demand, with the tank higher it also makes adjustment of the fuel needle more critical.

Modern motors need far less running in than in the bad old days, maybe half a dozen rich runs for about 5 minutes at a time with the motor four stroking then leaning out the needle so the last run is a rich two stroking and a decent cooling period between runs.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited By Big Bandit on 06/06/2012 06:42:41

MMmmm David, sorry mate but I learned from some very early mistakes especially with diesels, glows are much better but not exempt, look at em with a leccy starter and bent conrods are something I have very bad dreams about especially when an inverted motor is involved. I've even had a bent rod with a fuel surge from a high mounted tank and inverted motor ie a bit of mucky fuel clearing in a spray bar.

One possible solution is to wedge a smaller tank between the bearers and closer to the motor ie face up to F1. An old CL stunt tank would suit. Any problems give us a shout or PM me and I'll see what I have hanging around or can knock up.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks for the advice Chris,

Last thing I want is a Bent rod!!!! Oh err!!

Well the panic is now over. I have mounted the tank level with the carb and have moved the servos further back! One thing I overlooked was that obviously the engine is heavier than the original engine the model was designed for, so Moving the Servos further back will assist in C of G!

Managed to get some more covering work done today so all looking good for a maiden in about a week! (just in time for Greenacres!!!)

So here it is at the close of play today....

Dave cheeky

Hi Dave,

That looks the monkeys, I do Like the colour scheme thumbs up, well done. Hope I can get the Matty, Super 60, and Sharkface, maidened in time, but it ain't looking promising at the mo.

To make matters worst I've just volunteered to do a promo day with the same models, for the club a couple of weeks after Greenacres, what am I like thinking.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 06/06/2012 19:11:50

Its the 1st time I have ever used Solartex... A bit more expensive than Solarfilm but by god, damn easy to use and a gorgeous "period" finish!!

Thanks all for the comments... Wanted it to have a look about it that the "oldies" had, hence the curved black covering over the wing centre!

I think it looks better in the flesh aswel!!

wink

Hi Airworthy and welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question I'd advise a novice builder to buy a kit for the Matador.

The kit comes complete with the plan, all the correctly sized and graded balsa and much of the tricky cutting out has been done accurately for you.

Try Ben Buckle Kits

There's certainly plenty of help on this forum if you find you need it.

It`s been very nostalgic following this thread. My first ever plane build was the Matador - i think it was made by `Keil Kraft`

I flew it for a couple of weeks then unfortunately one Saturday i lost radio contact and the bugger flew off. Luckily it started turning in wide circles. I chased after it for about 2 miles and i saw it come down in a light wooded area in the distance.

When i got there i saw two B......s running off with itsad I never saw it again!

Nice job Davethumbs up Mine was black and yellow almost identical to yours.

Edited By eddie stroud on 16/06/2012 10:06:59

Hey Airworthy, Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Chris entirely. Buy the kit! Its what I did as I have never build a framework model before.

Next time I would be happier to just go and buy the wood etc myself!

Thanks all for the comments.

Sorry to hear about those scoundrels running off with yours Eddie! frown