Astro Hog by Andy Green

Complete fuselage ready for final sanding. I'll be making some lightening holes prior to covering

Wing ready to have the glass cloth applied. I dont like the 2" cloth that comes with the kit, I have some 4" so I'll be using that for the centre section, and use the 2" to tie in to the undercarriage blocks.

When all the bits are ready for final covering, I'll weigh them so you can compare to your builds.

Andy

Posted by Andy Green on 01/03/2012 10:48:20:

I've said before that the wood selection in the kit is quite poor, but none so bad as the elevators, these are so hard and heavy as to be almost spruce-like. I have tried to lighten with holes, but still not sure whether to use or not.

Andy

My thoughts - if in doubt - don't. That may be a lot of ballast at the front to make up for this. My A-H balanced on the main spar and I kept my tail very light.

Martyn

Posted by Andy Green on 01/03/2012 10:49:57:

Complete fuselage ready for final sanding. I'll be making some lightening holes prior to covering

Wing ready to have the glass cloth applied. I dont like the 2" cloth that comes with the kit, I have some 4" so I'll be using that for the centre section, and use the 2" to tie in to the undercarriage blocks.

When all the bits are ready for final covering, I'll weigh them so you can compare to your builds.

Andy

Is there a fuel tank hatch in there? Impossible to see if there is.

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Wings now ready for covering, Should have fitted the flaps and ailerons for the picture.

Covering will have to wait until after next club night, where I'll be displaying the open airframe. The second pic shows the extent of the glass cloth, not just around the centre section but also along the undercarriage mounts.

The tailplane is complete, and the fuselage is in the process of sanding & filling.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates. Model is ready for covering, then I can start looking at painting.

I'm going to paint this and my Super 60 in similar schemes, and only want to mix one lot of paint, so I'll be bringing the AH up to the same place as this S60.

In the meantime I'm able to get soe stuff done that wont be affected by paining.

The kit is supplied with pre bent undercarriage for the trike version. As I'm building the tail dragger I need to remake the undercarrage. A simple job with the right tools. Here you can see my 30 year old wire bender.

A pattern is shown on the plan, but its not important to exactly match the drawing, rather making 2 the same is important. I set the stops on the bender and made 2 at the same time, by starting the bending at each end of the wire.

Andy

The build is now finished - and I'm ready for covering. I have thaken this opportunity to weigh the bare bits:

• Fuselage: - 1lb 4oz
  • Wing / ailerons / flaps (with 2 aileron servos in place): - 1lb 14oz
  • Tailpalne & elevator: - 4.2oz
  • Fin & rudder: - 1.2oz

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 26/03/2012 15:16:25

I've covered the wings and quite pleased with them, the trouble is the antique protex does show any blemished through the covering, but still OK.

The fuselage on the other hand I'm not pleased with, or rather wasn't. I've just ripped it all off, to start again. Thats how unhappy I was with it.

Ah well on on.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while since an update: The reason being I messed up the painting stage. What I do when I mess up is I put it aside to calm down and start again. This cool down period can take a whle depending on how hard I am on myself.

I thought it was too much trouble to get the spray equipment out so attmpted to paint it. Ended up with brush marks in the finish. Now this was nothing to do with the Klass Kote paint and more to do with me rushing things & not mixing the paint to the right consistancy. Ended up sanding it back as far as I could and spraying. Happy with it now, and the paint is so easy to use and forgiving when you do it properly.

Cockpit detail. the edging is neoprene fule tubing split down its length

Tail end showing elevator servo & connection and tailwheel, dont worry I wont forget the servo screw

I Couldn't resist putting it altogether.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Andy,

That looks fantastic, such a clean tidy build. It's spurring me on now to get on with the workshop and get mine started and theres no way it'll be done for Greenacres, but I'll do a blog in the kit builders section when I get going. Well done thumbs up.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 19/05/2012 10:18:32

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well its been a few weeks since completion, but I've finally maidened the Astro Hog today. Lovely flyer, Had 5 tanks and still can't get the roll stright. Up to 50% differential now.

Has anyone else had this problem. I was begining to thing it was a warp, but it checks out ok.

No photos, I left the camera at home.

Andy

• 1 year later...