Sharkface EP

Major

Hello Major

I see you have a following .. already and you have some of the best people helping you out.. with the information .. like what i see so far will keep watching to see how you get one

good luck

Adrian

Adrian

I think it's pretty obvious that without people from here this plane would not appear, even if it would, for sure not like it is now.

And once again apologize for my English, but it's not my fault - my keyboard is dyslexic. Hope You can understand me anyway

Cheers
Tom

well its looking good Tom cant find a fault with it..
sometimes its good having that extra help even if they are not doing the hands on work.. they tell you how it is and then you know your doing it right or wrong and you can asking things that would cost you money in most model shops.. you also get more advice than someone who is selling the goods as your not buying from them. there is no judgement passed we all start somewhere ..

keep up the good work and nothing wrong with your English
Adrian

Hi Tom,

Your welcome, the planes looking really good, I'll keep looking in to see how your getting on, but from what I can see so far you've got it sorted out. I just love the "dyslexic keyboard". I'll try that one on my boss when I give him one of my policies and procedures documents .

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

As I said, I'm trying to do my best... I would like to see it flying.... And would like to see Your boss reaction

Adrian's Pix-E looks very nice. Will give it a try someday.

And getting back to my Sharkie - started to work on it few minutes ago. Right now I'm making control surfaces, elevator is cut, but had a little problem with it. My method of copying 't the best, and will need to buy some "magical paper" or start to print plans and iron them onto the wood.

Now it looks like that

Cheers
Tom

You're right Chris. I just did,'t strip Piper completely down yet, but will do soon. Unfortunately last night my son caught a fever so I needed to leave Sharkie for a while, but before I've gone to bedroom, glued fuse and placed nose former cut from 3/32 balsa, then placed onto the nose with opposit grain direction to former F1. So nothing really changed.

And my tail looks ok now. Checked with plan and ruler, sanded a bit and I'd say it looks quite stragiht.

Regards
Tom

A bit more has been done.

Fuselage is nearly covered with 1/16 balsa sheets, linkages are in glued plastic tubes. Whole fus was sanded wet and dry with 150 grade paper and now it's as smooth as little baby's skin.

I did another mistakes. First one - used shrinking dope to cover tail. Effect is so simple to predict - elevator gained banana shape and I had to cut it once more. I did it cause saw info, that even shrinking dope will work fine on it, but just need to give a mist to the tissue, allow it to dry and of course, use thinner. Well, thanks again to Chris for explaining everything.

And another mistake - hole for linkage was drilled too far, I mean to close to rear edge of fus... Did another one, in better place, but now the question is - how to cover that hole??

I also covered wings with heavy weight tissue. First a coat of 50/50 thinned dope has been given and allowed to dry, then I've placed tissue on airframe and just soaked it with thinned dope and once again, left it to dry. After about 5 minutes misted whole surface of wings with hairdresser sprayer and dried it again. The last step was to give a final coat of mix.

Pic shows wings after water spraying.

And finished wings. Following Chris's blog - I've added gussets as well. Them are not cover as best as possible, one square between ribs is a bit deeper than others, but it was my first proper covering and I am quite happy with it.

Cheers
Tom

Thanks gents for nice words!

@Chris
I doped that place twice more and actually it looks a bit better. Wil try non thinned dope on it yet.

@Steve
It doesn't look like You have a choice, does it?

@Eck
Thanks. And again - it doesn't go as quick as it could go. I think, if I could have all materials (wood, dope, tissue) before I started and if I'd work properly on it, without listening music and looking bilions of times on every single part, it could be finished in 3 or 4 days.

But I did more with my Sharkie.
Fuselage is already covered with proper non shrinking dope, fin is glued and connected to pushrod (however there is not much movement of the rudder, but should last for that small model I hope), dowels are placed in the fus... Only thing which still needs to be done is elevator and its control horn and ESC hatch - don't want to close it permanently as it could burn at any time.

And I still think about undercarriage - I'm affraid that I will need at least a bucket of props. From other side, I'd consider folding prop - what do You think about it? UC could seriously affect look of the model and as Chris says, won't look right...

Cheers
Tom

I don't think it needs an undercarriage - as long as the motor's stopped when you land the prop should survive! I've been flying my GWS foamies for 3 years with no u/c or folding prop, and have only broken them due to uplanned nose-first arrivals and tree interventions!

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 09/02/2012 14:48:40:
We will need the music from Jaws before a mass launch.......

Anyone play the Cello??
ay up Steve, aint bad on a drum kit (although I do say so myeself), comb and paper, jaws harp, spoons. Whats a Cello? is it some sOrt of insulation. Me spall chockers gone US or me keee bords Dyslectic .
Cheers,

Chris.

Gentlemen, just would like to show progress... I'd say photos can explain much more than words, have a look please...

This is my elevator. Works quite ok, everything is loose and smooth. I've used rotary tool to hide wire a bit in the elevators.

Here just after gluing, tail is still wet, but there is no more any kind of pins. And I got the right angles!!

And here my Sharkie being held by the woman I love the most - my daughter Julia

As You can see, just finishing touches left to be done - small pieces of 1/16 sheet have to be glued, electronics to be inserted and whole construction sanded. I am so happy that I've reached that point!

I've learnt a lot about traditional building, thanks to You gents! Special thanks to Chris, Eck, Steve and everybody else who helped me anyhow. I will of course post more photos when it's finished and from maiden flight as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Edited By Major on 10/02/2012 00:19:28

Edited By Major on 10/02/2012 00:24:42

Looks very pretty Tom......(& Sharkface isn't bad either...)

Are you going to paint/trim it or leave it au naturel..... Or you could rub it down with a used tea bag like Chris is going to do with his Super 60 to get that authentic vintage appearance.....

By the way you do know that you have to have a sharks mouth on the front don't you? Its the law.....anyone who doesn't gets beaten senseless by Vintage Aeromodellers weilding rolled up copies of the Kei Kraft Handbook......truly, it is a brutal thing to behold....

By the way I'd use some thicker wingbands when you fly the model too......I'd hate to see your square loops go a bit wonky because the wing lifted off the fuselage.....