Sharkface EP

Major

Thank You for info once moresmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. And I replied to your message as well.

I hope I will get better soon, as Sharky is too nervous yet, but I'll be honest - I just can't fly and that's it. Wouldn't say that plane was flying me, however I felt strange... stressed.

Ok, with Cox plane flies on full power... But what hapens if Mother Earth claims the wood back??

Next one which I want is the one described in PM - twice bigger 4CH Sharkysmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. I'm affraid that I just will damage the engine, and it would be scarry to use in local park. But someday, when I gain some more experience, of course will build one with Cox on the front. Now even my present Sharky is mentalsmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page....

Cheers

Thanks for the inspiration guys, I have a suitable motor/ESC and battery looking for a home. I was tempted by a Diamond Demon, but I think the Sharkace will be a quicker build and more fun to fly.

There is a danger the DD will end up being very similar to my mini tyro to fly, wihle that is lovely I dont think I need two similar models right now. The Sharkface looks like a lot of fun!

Looking through what I have in stock, I think I have everything I need already at home, thats a done deal then. Sharkface it is then!

r.

Hi Steve, Glasshopper, Tom,

Been skipping through the old 1964 mags and the Bazz bomb looks awesome and designed to be indestructible. To fly these things on single channel in the manner the article describes you would need to be bonkers or very brave. I think we need one each, great for urban guerilla flying with a ten or fifteen on the front wink 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Tom,

Theres a link on page 8 to Ebay to a guy who is selling the mag with a 1/6 scale drawing. I have the same mag which I'm going to try to have it printed full size, we'll see if it works. Full size it's 37" and it shows a Cox TD 09 for power.

Cheers,

Chris.

Sorry Chris, just missed that bit somehowembarrassed ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page....

Construction seems to be quite easy and pleasure to build... I'll need to calm down a bit, as after Sharky now I want this one as well as Tauriwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Cheers

Edited By Major on 23/05/2012 10:19:08

I don't think You could miss anything... It is just the plane I'd like to build and that's it.... But now situation dramatically changed, and I need to buy receiver and all stuff to get Sharky ariborne, and of cousr build another one...

Ok, time to complete setup for new Sharky... What I've chosen is

Black Mantis 20amp esc speedcontroller

Gens Ace 1800mah 3S 20C Lipo Battery

Towerpro SG90 9G Micro Servo x2

Motor... I'd stick to CF2812, but I'm not sure if these will be availible... What could I put instead?? Possibly small, light and fast as EMax was...

What do You think about it??

I'm not gonna order RX for now... It's nothing sure, but maybe the brain of my Sharky will look like Optima 7....

Did I miss anything??

Cheers

Tom

I'd be tempted to say that the battery is too big.....1000mAh should be plenty...

You could get away with a smaller esc too....I would aim for around 100 - 120 watts & this equates to around 12A max....

You need to keep it as light as possible Tom....its a small model after all...& you might struggle getting it all in there.....

You may be right (again) Steve....

I have checked the battery weight and it's only 40gms heavier than 1300MAh I used before... And it gave me more than 15 minutes in the air, so I'd aim to gain simmilar flight time...

About the ESC - my previous one was 18A and it was ok to me, so wanted to buy simillar as well... But this one is just about 2GBP more expensive than Pentium, but I've read that is much better...

Would You suggest any motor as substitute of 2812?? It'd be nice if motor could pull about 800-900gm...

And the question about the charger - I've two ballance-chargers, both plug and play... Will it be ok or should I buy something like G.T. Power A606 charger??

Cheers

Edited By Major on 26/05/2012 20:36:11

Hi Tom, I maidened a clubmate's Sharkface today, using a tiny Hyperion motor. The numbers 1750/14 come to mind, but I may be wrong, I'll ask him tomorrow. The motor was so small, and had a max. current of about 9 A, I thought it would be underpowered - but it went away like a rocket! Not ballistic like my 2212/06 GiantCod cheapie, but more controllable at full throttle! An equivalent may be just what you need.

Hi Alex!

I think of E-Power GF2210 1534Kv 44.3g Brushless Motor, but I'm not sure if 12A ESC will do with it. If not, I'll order bigger. And first, I'll see if on Monday will succeed to recover my first Sharky, in that case will take motor, ESC, servos and receiver and everything else what might be useful. I keep checking day by day, even twice, but even in strong winds it just doesn't fall off.... I've got one crazy idea and want to give it a trysmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

If this motor from link would be too big/powerfull, maybe I should go for 2S LiPo and order CF2805 1600KV Brushless Outrunner Motor??

Cheers

Hi Tom, as the 2210 has max. current handling of 14A, I'd suggest a 20A ESC at least. We'd already tried this one with a 2204 motor and 2S LiPo, but it was a pretty gutless affair! The other one was built for a lad who had an indoor event organised for today ( in this weather? crazy - but he has to book the hall months in advance!) I'll let you know if there's any progress (has been given the fuselage and wing for covering).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I don't want to Hijack the thread, but seeing as this thread was the cause of me building a SharkFace I thought I'd post a pic of her after her maiden flight last night.
The motor is a BRC hobbies A2208-17T 1100Kv running from a Wasp 20A ESC and powered by a 850mah Turnigy 3s LiPo. I've ended up moving the CoG slightly forward from shown on the plan - probably just to suit my flying, other than a couple of formers omitted and a little bit of extra reinforcement where I wasn't comfortable with 1/16" butt joins it is as per the original plan.
Lively little things arn't they!
AUW without the battery was 206g (7.2oz in english), I've yet to weight the battery.
Now she has proven she can fly I will cover her fuselage smiley
Sharkface Electric

Looks very good Rob! And I'm happy that this thread pulled You to build!

What is flight duration on that battery?

As I say, this is too good plane to forget/not to build, so I just finish my second one. It is gonna be covered with tissue, powered by wonderful Cox 0.49 Golden Bee with 6x3 nylon prop, so I expect it to be very lively, especially launches will be excitingsmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. I already did elevaror, but still not sure if servo will be connected to receiver - I wanna feel "vintage spirit"smiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..... If weather will allow me, maiden is planned on next Friday.

Cheers

Tom

Tom, I've not run a full battery through it yet, the wind was getting up over at the flats, I had it nicely hovering for a while though And on my last landing a broke the prop, new one en-route though!

I'm not sure as to the health of the two 850s I inherrited them from a friend. Is there any way I can measure the health of them? I've got a charger which can discharge and report capacity, maybe that is a good idea.

Chris, that is Litespan, I've enough blue left to do the fuselage and hopefully a few bits of colour to give it some teeth!

What I've found about the props...

When You land, just before Sharky touches ground, lift nose up a bit - that way I landed on pavament and nothing happened... But please don't take it as an advice - more like my personal experiencessmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page....

Your last prop is gonna brake and doesn't matter, what You did to land safely smiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. With my first Sharky I broken about 6 props... Hope I won't keep up with Cox ones, as for one of them can buy four TGS...

About charger somebody else will need to tell You, as I just use standard ballance charger from RTF (for LIPOs) and Futaba for Tx/RX.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Robin,

Great stuff that's what I used on the Matador, I'll have to build another for leccy this time, I've just had the plan blown up for a 1964 Bazzbomb, another simple and quick build single channel conversion. That should be really hairy with a 1.5 or 2.5 on the front as it's only 37" span. I only had one copy done as the copy shop has just jacked his prices up a fair amount so I'm looking to somewhere else to do them.

Cheers,

Chris.