RCM&E index

Hope folks don't mind me asking - we were debating the merits of commissioning a 2011 issue index. It's something we've done for many years but we're not entirely sure who uses them, if anyone at all. Through the year, we receive virtually no enquiries from those seeking them.  

Thoughts would be appreciated.

If anyone is wondering, the home pics/downloads area (click on the blue mouse icon) has the 2002-2010 indices.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 07/02/2012 09:00:30

David
I for one have used this faciliy on about three occasions since they started to find something and found it to be useful .A 2011 issue would help when looking back in the future as well .My huge collection of mags going back many years taking up a whole three shelf wall cupboard present quite a task when looking something up and the indexs (indices ?) really come into their own even though they are in numerical order'
Myron YO 13 organisational Dept

Hi David....Yes i agree with Myron...I too have a lot of mags and even though they are in order the index is very useful for finding articles and plans.

Andrew

Hi David, I give old RCM&E mags to Claude, my neighbour....We both reckon they're much better than the French counterparts.........The index is a very useful tool, problem is that I for one didn't know about it.....
Maybe a wee bit of reader education would be a good idea

ernie

I use it - a bit! To be honest I think its a potentially very valuable resource that is underused by all of us and I suspect the main reason for that is its extreme "low profile". If they were being entirely honest many would probably respond "What index - I didn't know we had one!"

I think we should keep it - but consider putting a perminant link to it in a prominent place, then promote it a bit! We know from threads on here that lots of folks have extensive collections of back-issues, but without an index frankly they are of limited value.

BEB

David,

I'm sure it's just me, but how do I get into the index page other than through the link you just quoted? I can't find any of the tabs on the home page that will take me into the index or, indeed to the RCM&E digital archive.

Is it possible to have an 'RCM&E' tab on the home page?

I'm sure I would use the index if I could find it.

Posted by Allan Bowker on 07/02/2012 12:22:32:
I have used it a few times, although I did wish that it was all together in one database instead of having to search through each year.
I agree. I have even started to try to combine the index data from the various years into one spreadsheet, but because of the layout this is a non-trivial task. It is easy to remove the 2 columns, to save it as raw text, and I could easily use a clever text manipulation tools to convert it into a form suitable for a spreadsheet, but there are a lot of bits of 'helpful' layout that need tweaking by hand.

Do you, David, have this information in electronic readable form to save all the effort?

Plummet

Posted by Allan Bowker on 07/02/2012 12:22:32:
I have used it a few times, although I did wish that it was all together in one database instead of having to search through each year.

Allan's concept is definitely a must in this age of communication and internet.

it then becomes an ongoing database which should easily be kept bang up to date each month - or is this too much to ask for ?

it will save me time scanning and computer filing the odd items I might need in the future but never seems to cover the actual items I end up needing

so save the money from compiling a yearly index and go for an online database instead, please

john

That was a timely question I just went to the index page to look up a review from a 2011 issue (couldn't remember which one) and noted the 2011 index wasn't available yet.

As others have mentioned, in conjunction with the digital archive for subscribers, it's a great resource, particularly for newbies liked me. Using the index and digital archive together has saved me asking countless questions on the forums and I've learned a great deal. I even me!), although I confess there's so many I've not had time to read most of them.

Also agree that I would find a combined index file useful, as a single free text search could then scour all the archives at once.

@Steve Houghton, the link to the index is contained on the RCM&E Extra page, that you can access from the Home Page (Look for the computer mouse in the blue circle symbol).

I didn't know it existed. It would be even better if it was hyperlinked to the relative article in the Subscribers section.. but I guess that really is a dream due to the mix of technologies in use.

It could be useful, but the online version would suffice, a single index document rather than an index for each year would be better than having to search through 11 or 12 documents if you have no idea whether an article exists.

Regards

Martyn

Oh flip , I'd forgotten all about the index - the number of times I could have used it and haven't .

Worth having I think but needs to be more prominent if it's to be beneficial, in fact I'd forgotten about all those build articles too.

Not everything can go in the most obvious spot on the home page though can it?

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 07/02/2012 14:23:49:
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

We usually get someone to go through the mags each year and produce a word doc, I hadn't thought about one large database. Food for thought.

David,

while you are chewing on the food for thought, a database iseasier to keep up to date month by month rather than leave it to an annual basis when it becomes a substantial task

just my tuppence worth

john

• 2 weeks later...