Astro Hog 25

Martyn K

Here we go with the second of the 4 astro hog derivatives.. smile o

I have scaled the original (and with a lot of credit to the draughtsman who drew the astro hog 2000), and produced a 2 sheet plan.

A 2/3 scale model results in a 48" span model and if built lightly should suit Alex Whittakers Club 25 initiative in this months RCM&E. (I am planning on using a OS25 or ASP25).

This is as far as I have got, I have just started the Delta tonight, but hopefully will build this one in parallel.

Plans are available here:

Sheet 1 Fuselage and Tail (A0 Wide)

Sheet 2 Wing (A1 Wide)

Still very much in draft form and needs some more work setting the location of F1 to suit the engine (which I haven't actually got yet) plus tank location etc, but enough detail I think to generate ideas.

More to come..

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 28/02/2012 23:33:47

Posted by Olly P on 29/02/2012 10:45:19:

Wish I had the time to wok on the delta and another model and the ones i already have!

Just want 1 to be fliable sometime this week!!

Good luck Mrtyn, I know it will do as well as the rest you have designed,

Hi Olly

I try and spend a minimum of 1 hour per night building, it is the best therapy for working for a living. Doing plans and design work takes up the other 4 hours of most evening. I also spend 10 minutes talking to the XYL...

Martyn

Posted by Jim Carss on 29/02/2012 11:19:52:

Martyn,

I see you have 1" dihederal on the wings,the MiniHog has the same,If I remember rightly the original Hog had a lot more and I thought it looked a bit odd,looked like a Wood pigeon on the glide

Hi Jim

I have just completed a full size 'Hog and went for 1.5" under each tip (the original had 4.5" - mine looked OK and seems (early days yet) to fly OK so I simply scaled it down by .667.

Regards

Martyn

Posted by Big Bandit on 01/03/2012 07:40:42:

Fantastic Martyn, which package are you using for the cad.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris

SolidEdge - its a freebie from Siemens and (I think) much easier to use that AutoCad and its derivatives.. I actually imported the DXF file from the Astro-Hog 2000 plan that I have, but some of the layers didn't import correctly. It was fairly simple then to scale downwards. I have added a lot more detail plus the other half wing.

Regards

Martyn

Posted by Andy Green on 01/03/2012 10:43:35:

Watching with interest Martyn. I considered going large and doing a Giant Astro Hog. Even bought this plan, but it was going to be too expensive in the end.

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes, I saw that, linearly, it's 25% bigger or therabouts. 56% increase in wing area, 144% increase in drag. It will need a big engine

Too big (and as you say, too expensive) for my modest budget.

Martyn

I have the original Ken Gillers Mini Hog in the workshop, bagged her at an auction some time ago complete with OS15Fp... after reading article I looked the plan I got from Radio Modeller in the 90's. This is with build article, it shows Ken with the model.. I thought, she looks familiar.. on checking .. shock horror.. its the same model.. Bazzin..

So now being fettled for the impending lighter nights.

Enjoyed a second fly of the week this afternoon, 14degs in a little late sunshine, almost calm too so most pleasent... Get the Mini hog built..

Would welcome plans info for the .25/.40 motor version.. think she is a timeless looking model, especially with tricycle u/c... thumbs up

Thanks Martyn,

I'll Google it just to give it a go, but TBH I'm a bit of an Autocad fan, I grew up with it since version 10.2 in Dos 5. I stopped buying it after version 14 which I still have. Just couldn't be bothered after that as it will only run in XP and not Windows 7. I just like the idea of printing off the plan to any size that suits any spare motor I have hanging around doing nothing. Or doing a few mods.

After doing some clearing of the garage I found some odd motors that I'd forgoten I had or won on Ebay, so it could be game on for some odd size hogs.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris

If you have acad then its' probably not worth considering anything else, but I have found that SolidEdge is easier to use with the added benefit that it is a professional level product and it is free. It would be nice if there was a common standard for drawings that could be easily shared. One other plus is that SolidEdge can save drawings in DXF format so should be easily importable or transferable. The downside is that the free version is 2D only.

I picked up an SC25 from Barnstormers at Winsford this evening and had it bench running within 15 minutesof getting it home. Apart from that, progress has been pretty slow on this and the delta this week, hampered by my inability to print the plans (incompetence again), although I have now also bought most of the wood as well.

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 03/03/2012 00:08:13

Thanks all,

I managed to get the plans printed at the correct size today - I tile printed across about 40 sheets of A4. The problem I had had was that in the process of printing to PDF, I set the paper orientation incorrectly, the result was I was printing a landscape document to fit in a portrait layout. Not a huge problem, I simply scaled up the original (at the print phase) by a factor of 141.4% a relationship which became obvious because as any mathematician will tell you that the SQRT (2) = 1.414. nerd

This evening, I taped up the plans for this and the Delta-A which I am building concurrently. I actually hope that I will start gluing this week.

Already made a couple of changes. The fus in front of F1 has been extended by 20mm to get the prop driver in the right place, plus I have spotted a couple of minor errors in the drawing. I'll get these corrected and reprint shortly.

If anyone wants a copy of the solidedge drawing,please let me know.

Regards

Martyn

Martyn