Astro Hog 25

Martyn K

Here are a few photos from todays flying session. The light was pretty poor despite the fact that it had stpped raining when Ian took these photos for me.

Lean Check... (it was too lean)

It fair old leaps from the ground. this was taking off on just over 1/2 throttle. Now that I have moved the CoG back, the elevator response is fine, however, the ailerons need taming a bit now. If you look closely, you can see a 2nd 8mmx50mm coachbolt ballast at the rear fuselage

On full bore the aircraft was airborne in about 5m of strip and climbing stoopidly fast.

It needed a bit of right aileron trim to neautralise it's left rolling tendency.

Not horrendous though.

Approach after the 2nd flight. Note just how dark and dreary that sky is..

And touchdown..

The tickover is a bit fast and it had a tendency not to want to stop.

The engine is still very new - had barely an hours running. I'll get that sorted (hopefully) before Greenacres.

I'll also get another driver.. definitely needs something in there.

Martyn

Hi all and greeting from a very wet Barmouth...

Never mind, I have managed to complete the revised plans for the AstroHog 25 with a couple of minor changes to the original.

These are:

1. Engine moved back 12mm

2. A 1/8" square longeron backbone. to attach the upper decking

3. The tailplane spars are now full length.

I have uploaded them as PDF documents (A1 for the wing and A0 for the fuselage - along with the original SolidEdge plan (.dft filetype)) to my FTP site.

There is also a lot more detail on the revised plans, if you build one or would like some clarification or guidance, please let me know/feel free to ask..

At the moment, I am having a problem converting to AutoCad 2000 DXF format (unless you want to build one with a 42ft fuselage and 55ft wing span). If I get it sorted, I'll add them to the repository.

Good luck

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 07/06/2012 16:16:58

Fantastic Martyn,

I'm having no joy either converting the downloaded file to DWG or DXF, when I did manage to convert them they would not load into AutoCad 14.

At the copy shop they can print the PDF's on A3 then blow the drawing to any size I want, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris

I got to the root of the problem. During the drawing phase, I changed units from imperial to metric (to accomodate the tank and engine mount dimensions from the manufacturers website). When I then did the translation to ACAD, the drawing got scaled up by a factor of 25.4 smile o..

This time, I reset the units back to imperial and have successfully (I think) managed a conversion to ACAD14. I would be interested to know if you can upload it OK.

(AstroHog25.dwg)

Best wishes

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

No joy it just came up with incompatible version. I've been to the copy shop this morning and had the PDF's printed on A3, then had the wings blown to 48" (200%) same with the fus and that came out at a different scale, the drawings good just a different scaling factor. I think the guy at the copy shop may have adjusted the print scale differently on the A3 fus. Quite easy to adjust though and I'll do it next week as the daughter is over tonight for the weekend so It'll be Monday before I can do anything.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris

I don't have AautoCad, but this afternoon, I downloaded and installed (free) AutoDesk DWG TrueView from here. (Its a big download - c. 300MB - and you need to download and run the installer first)

I managed to open the file off the FTP site, there was a warning saying that it wasn't a 'proper' AutCad file, but once I accepted the warnings, it opened OK (both pages).

I am not sure what to suggest, but perhaps there are settings on your AutoCad installation that prevent you opening files not generated by AutoCad?

Regards

Martyn