Astro Hog 25

Martyn K

Posted by Andy Green on 06/03/2012 14:46:35:

This article I did a while ago may help with plan printing.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the link - very interesting. I must admit that I have had some issues tile printing from Adobe (Professional), so I will look at your suggestions. One of the problems I have experienced was that an A0 drawing will not print to Adobe on a nominal A0 sheet because it expects a margin... the latest drawings have been redone on 36x24 paper then printed to A0.. no problems

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 06/03/2012 16:44:45

Well, I have managed to get the tiled up plan together

and

and it looks OK. I mentioned that I had the SC25 running last week. It is a very sweet looking engine, my test bench is hardly what you would call exotic though..

Note the tank held on by elastic bands.

Finally, I started gluing last night. To make sure that Sparks can sleep easily at night, I started on the tailplane and it is built up. The small sub spars and ifill sheeting will get done in the next day or so, then I'll start on the wing.

Despite being 33% smaller than the original, it seems a lot smaller. The tail is 3/16" thick and at this size, no attempt has been made to thicken up the section to make it more streamlined, its effectively a flat plate with rounded LE and elevator joint. The Elevators will be tapered though.

Comments etc - more than welcome...

More to come,

Martyn

Andy, thanks for the link, it's most interesting.

Martyn,

I downloaded the Solid Edge software, it looks quite useful. I found an Astrohog plan from this link, and saved it as a DWG file then posted it to myself.

I then opened it on the PC in my study with Autocad and did a quick re-arrange of the sheet to make it more usable and mirrored the wing. It is the 72" version so it's just a matter of scalling now and plotting it as a usable plan.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 14/04/2012 22:37:21

Hi Martyn,

It just has to be done, until the garage has been re-roofed I haven't the room to build any larger. I'll have to go through my engine collection, there should be something suitable.

I've just spent a good time trying to paste a screen shot of the AutoCad drawing but no luck so far, I'll have a mess about later as I'm expecting a mate round, we are planning to get to a model shop in Northampton that he knows. My LMS just doesn't stock what we want these days.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi all

sorry for the unsceduled absence, I have been away and even worse having to do some decorating..

I managed to get in the shed tonight for an hour, but no progress on the hog although the tail and elevator is now finished. Photos shortly.

Chris - the hog 2000 fin looks a bit smaller than mine, I'll measure mine up if you want. I actually scaled the AH 25 from the AH2000 drawings that you are using and then resized all the structural parts so that it was sized correctly for the airframe but my fin looks bigger. The rudder is much bigger that the 1958 original.

BEB - building (and flying) until you are 153 sounds OK to me, just remind me how you do it...smile

I can't sell soul to the devil, I sold it to Rock and Roll many years ago..

More to come,

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

That's interesting,as I've not managed to do anymore to it yet I'd be interested in the changes you've made. This weekends going to be a bit of a damp squid as far as modelling progress goes, but I may get some done. Yesterday I picked up the PAW 09 for the KK Bandit, I swapped a standard one for a fully refurbed one with silencer and throttle.

Cheers,

Chris.

A bit of progress. Not a lot though.

As indicated above, the tailplane and elevators have been completed. As you can see, the (trimmed) 6mm dowel joiner is glued into place before the elevators are cut. It makes sure that they maintain the correct relationship with each other.

The mini spar is 1/16" balsa top and bottom and 1/16" infill sheet. as the bearing surface.

I have cut a set of wing ribs tonight. Not having the luxury of a personal laser cutter, I am back to the tried and tested methof of a 3/32" ply template with drawing pins locating it into the 1/16" quarter grain rib stock material (medium hard). The wood I am using for ribs is Solarbo and I bought it over 20 years ago. Only about 6 sheets left now..crying 2

Just look at that gorgeous grain pattern..

Finally, the lower front spar was pinned down and the ribs glued in for one half wing. The upper 2 spars are there (unglued) just to hold the ribs straight while the glue dries. On reflection, I have reduced the length of the ailerons by 1 bay (2", so they are now 10" long each side.

I almost forgot the slots to get the servo cables through.. they were chain drilled on the pillar drill, 3 x 4mm drill and then filed into (more or less) an even slot,

More to come..

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

I have just noticed that it is 2 weeks since I did the last update - oh the shame of it all... embarrassed

Progress has been slow due to family activities and numerous outdoor chores that have materialised with all this nice weather.

The other wing half has been glued up and the two halves joined together and wing braces added. TE sheeting needs to be fitted along with the ailerons and servos which is what will happen (hopefully) in the next few days.

A couple of snaps..

and

Hardly exciting stuff..

The good news is that the undercarriage from my very defunct 1991 Gangster 52 (year of demise) fits perfectly so that is one less thing to buy

Take care and more to come (eventually)

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is still slow and I have been rather lax in updating the build blog - apologies. However, the wing is noow very bearly completed.

Upper leading edge sheeting has been added. I was rather concerned about my ability to get 1/16" sheet balsa around the very tight compund curve at the wingtip and after due consideration, cut the LE sheet flush as the last rib.

The u/c beech blocks were then cut in and webbing added up to the 8th Bay. There is no point going to the wingtip, the loads here are minimal compared with the load at the root - even in a crash! The u/c blocks are simply glued to the 1/16" ply dihederal brace - I am hoping that as the wing loading will be very light, the landing loads will also be light and then no additional reinforcement (apart from the lower sheeting) will be required.

Another shot...

This shot shows the upper sheeting trimmed and the 1/4x1/16 cap strips added. I learnt a lot from the main astro hog build and have added a few refinements into this build to help keep things a bit neater.

The ailerons are built up but fully sheeted. The aileron hinge is along the upper surface and simple glue-in hinges have been used (I can't remember the brand). Soft balsa blocks clamp the hinges into place. I am hoping for a totally enclosed linkage similar to that used by Sparks. I am quite pleased with this so far, they are very light and easy moving. I'll finish off the ailerons when I get the servos and linkage in place.

Another aileron shot, the superglue at the edge was needed when the wood cracked slightly trying to bend it round the steep curve to blend in with the tip.

The centre sheeting has been completed (after I wired in the 'Y' lead) for the two micro aileron servos.

More to come, but not much next week as I am away watching the rain and howling gales in mid wales..

Martyn

Posted by Jim Carss on 29/02/2012 11:48:27:

Pat,I cant find the plan at the moment but i think it was around 40".

If Steve Hargreaves see this thread he will tell you,I sent him the plan to copy a few years ago,

Only just spotted this thread but Jimbo is right...he was kind enough to send the plan & the RM article......I'm sure I sent 'em back Jim but if you can't find 'em let me know & I'll send you a copy of my copy of your copy....erm I think thats right...smile p

The Mini Hog suits 15 sized motors so Martyns 48" version should be perfect for a 25.....Actually this is quite timely...I'd forgotten what fun you can have with small 25-32 sized models.....I maidened my TN Midget Mustang a week or two ago & it was great fun & all on a few oz of fuel.....thumbs up

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 14/04/2012 22:48:43:

Is it just me or is this model crying out for a 30 4 stroke.....thumbs up

I think a 30 FS would be superb for it. There are a few minor changes to the original plan, but I am just making it up as I am going along now. Just keeping the outline and the basics in place. The interesting bit will be getting the CG correct. I suspect that the nose may be a little on the long side.

I have got the ailerons all fastened up and totally hidden linkages in place. Photos to follow, but it will be a few days as I am off to Wet and windy Wales for a week and a bit...

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

It's a while since I last did an update, but I have been away for just over a week in the last 3. Mainly lax with the PC though.

At the last update, I was fitting servos into the wing. One bay in from the inner end of the aileron, I have added a 3/32 lite ply doubler and slotted a 9g aileron servo in.

The reason why it is here is that the cable length is just long enough to reach the 'Y' lead I have used at the wing root...

Another shot, the servo is a nice easy fit..

A simple horn crafted from 12mm square ali sngle was carefully hacked and filed until it was a snug fit inside the aileron itself. A single 1mm diameter hole and piano wire linkage connect the aileron to the servo arm. Note that the pushrod goes from the TOP of the wing to the bottom of the aileron. This means that I have a much smaller slot in the cap strip between the wing and the aileron.

Here is a shot of the general arrangement before I epoxied the horn into place. The glued edges of the horn are roughened up with a triangular file (think gouges) to ensure a good contact area free of grease.

And finally glued in place with the correct linkage arrangement. Note the use of a big bulldog clip to keep the aileron at the correct angle while the glue dries..

Time to start the Fuselage. Cut from 1/16 straight grained balsa.

1/32 ply doublers added plus 3/16 square longerons (and spacers)

The front bulkhead was added and checked that there will be sufficient space for the 5oz tank. It's a tight fit...

The remaining upper formers and spacers are added and everything clamped up so it is STRAIGHT.. (hopefully)

This photo is a bit out of sequence. I saw that someone was using a homemade tool to make sure that the blind nuts are pulled through correctly. I use a 1/4 drive 5mm socket at the spacer and a long M4 bolt.

I got it all glued up and then I changed my mind. I decided to side mount the engine which meant surgically removing the front formed and making a new one.. A bit of surgery in the side of the fuselage was also required to get the silencer to fit. Note that 1/4" balsa doublers have been added between F1 and F2 to provide support for the engine mount and also will cushion the tank very nicely.

Another shot.. The fuel tank bay and the Firewall (F1) have been fuel proofed. I want to get the radio installation completed next.

Which means that the tailplane and rudder need to be added. Although not obvious from this photo, the fuselage below the tailplane has been built up with 1/16 sheet sides and the lower sheeting to the Fuselage has been added.

Only 6 weeks to Greenacres in case you have forgotten...

Take care, more to come.

Martyn

A couple of things that I forgot to add.

The fuel tank sits on a 3/32 liteply base with foam strips at the bottom and sides.

The piano wire linkages to the ailerons are 20g wire and are a bit springy. I think I will brace them up a bit. I am not intending to put hatches in place so the fitting will be fairly permanent.

I have replaced the lower TE sheeting with liteply and balsa for a single wing mounting bolt. I'll be using 2 dowels to locate the LE in the 1/8 ply former F2.

Edited By Martyn K on 03/05/2012 17:01:27

Martyn I hope you don't mind my commenting on your servo choice but I wonder if those 9g jobbies will be up to it. Not from a torque point of view but from a robustness point of view......they have very small nylon teeth & while these are OK in vibration free electric models they might take a bit of a hammering in an IC powered model.....

Might these or these be worth considering for the control surfaces.....pretty much the same size as the 9g servos but metal gears....