Mini Super Build

Nev

HI. When BEB suggested a vintage build I wasn’t to enthusiastic but when I read his reasoning, that it may get a bit of nostalgia going for models you once may have built I was in and this is the reason why.

My first attempt

My first ever RC plane a Kiel Kraft Mini Super, 37 years ago! A lucky lad to get a second hand SIMPROP 2+1 radio control and a couple of servos for Christmas. My pocket money and the money for my 15th birthday bought the kit and the OS MAX 15 was robbed out of a control line KK Spectre. No throttle control but it would have to do, no more money for engines.

You will notice my original is covered in solarfilm and this one will be too, I’m doing this purely for my own enjoyment so I’m not going to get hung up about vintage stuff. It’s going to be electric too, it’s all I fly nowadays.

The original flew (set off) very well, although didn’t stay up too long as I had no idea of how to control it in the turns, which usually resulted in the model continuing to bank further and further over until it spiralled in. The nose wheel took a lot of punishment, so repairs were usually not too bad but I never did get the hang of flying it. One year later and GCE’s over, work beckoned and that was the end of modelling for 30 odd years.

So now I think its time to try it again, now I know what I’m doing! To be honest I’m still a bit apprehensive about building it with without ailerons.

We had a Mini Super in our club during most of the 70s, it got passed around whenever anyone needed a model, it was just about indestructible. I flew it through a barbed wire fence and other than a damaged u/c and a couple of tears in the nylon covering it was fine.

Top stuff Nev.....I'm a big fan of the Mini Super too it was the first RC model I ever saw fly......this is mine...built a couple of years ago....electric powered too.....wink 2

I built it in homage to that very first model I saw so it has the same colour scheme.....for fun I fitted ailerons & flaps & it carries an underwing camera....I must post some of the footage one day......sad

Are you going to build the KK version or the David Boddington "orginal"?

Theres a chap called Jim Carss visits the forum too & despite the rumours he's a great bloke...wink 2....he's a big fan on the Mini Super too....his has an OS15 up front I believe....

Hi Steve. I’ve seen your model before on a much earlier Mini Super build and I’m shamelessly going to steal your idea of fitting an extra forma up front to mount the motor on and thin ply doublers on the fuselage side to replace the engine bearers. I’ve been planning this for a while and that seems like the way to go if your going electric.

I’ve seem Jim’s Mini too (he does like them sparkly doesn’t he). Jim has helped me before on my last project so I know I’m in good company.

I got the plan from Ben Buckle and very good service if I may say. It looks like a KK plan, although the rudder is definitely bigger. It has a trike undercarriage, which is the one I wanted to build anyway, although a tail dragger would probably suit our local strip better. I’m committed now so we’ll see how I get on.

Edited By Nev on 02/03/2012 11:13:49

It's confusing...my plan shows a taildragger & I built a trike....Jim has the KK plan with a trike undercart & he built his as a tail dragger.....teeth 2 We aeromodellers are a strange breed are we not?

Yes if I built another I would change the front end.....my version works but...well its not the best solution!! Ply doublers & an extra motor mounting former to reverse mount the motor would be a better solution I think!!!

Watching with interest.....just FYI mine has the LiPo (2200 3S I use) mounted sort of half in & half out of the tank bay to balance correctly.....I would advise you keep the battery in mind & try & establish the best place to mount it to achieve the correct balance as soon as you can....thumbs up

Oh & just to underline a point made by Mr Bott...it won't need ailerons. I fitted them because I could but foolishly left the dihedral as per the plan....it definitely turns better with rudder & I have CAR mixed in. Jimbo of the North flattened his wings to about 1/2" under each tip I think & he reports that it turns very well on ailerons.....thumbs up

For this one I’ll stick with the plan, rudder, elevator and this time throttle. After all I have a point to prove. When I’ve had some fun with it I’m thinking of building a second set of wings with ailerons and flaps but we’ll see.

Well hello there chaps,My Mini Super is still going strong and as stated by Sir Steve it turns very well on aileron alone,deploy the flaps and it will hover in a slight breeze.

The only problem i have with it is ground handling,it has a mind of its own when you open the throttle , I now have increased the rudder area to see if i can get some more authority .

Here she is again.....

Edit, just trying something so the photo can be clicked on. (Chris)

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 02/03/2012 12:32:51

Show off, like I said Sparkly but very nice.

I have actually done a bit of work on mine, I’ll post some photos when I get back home. I’ll try and post regularly as I go along but it may not be fast.

Here’s some wood at last.

The formers are slightly re modelled, as I’m not using the original engine bearers. The one on the left is an extra one to the plan, mounted further forward to mount the motor to. The big bits are 1/32 ply doublers for the fuselage sides in place of the original bearers and extending forward for the new motor mount. All will become clear Honest.

I’ve also set my self a challenge, not to spend money on this. Its more of a game really as I have already bought the undercarriage. But all the wood comes out of the scrap box, the motors and ESC are from models sadly no longer with us. For this type of model though its easy, all you need is a balsa stripper as you can see.

Maybe you can see now where everything fits.

Great start Nev and interesting to hear of the mods for electric too, My Mini Super wil be a trike underarriage, like my first one, but will also be electric, rather than powered by PAW diesel. I ummed and aaahed about that, but the thought of fuel proofig finally made the decision fall on the side of an electric.

I'l be watching your thread with interest - best of luck. smiley

Got a bit more done. These are the thin ply doublers for the fuselage sides in place of the engine bearers.

Now with the formers in place.

First is the engine mount, then the nose leg mount, then the cabin former, with a big square hole for a battery box. Lots of holes for air, wires etc. especially the front former. I’m hoping I can fit the nose wheel leg after it’s completed.