Mini Super Build

Nev

Thanks, I'm happy with it. Just needs some Big Bandit style home made decals to finish it off. I'll try and pick a quiet day at the field so as not to cause a nuisance with any loutish behavior.

Well, no wind or rain tonight so I thought I’d have a go. First flight was a bit on the short side. This being as a result of the mini being a bit out of trim and me trying to correct it with my right thumb. Result broken prop.

The second flight was much better however. Concentrating very hard on turning and levelling the wings with the RUDDER not the none existent ailerons. Its surprised me how many times I found myself trying to use my right thumb and then quickly telling myself to use the rudder.

New battery and the third flight was equally as good. I’m very pleased with how it flies. Having broken the 10x7 on the first attempt the next flights were on a 10x5 but it still easily took off from long grass and buzzed around on half throttle, albeit silently.

And as Jim predicted the ground handling is none existent but it didn’t realy matter as I just took off in the direction it was pointing, it tracked straight enough for the short take off run needed. So anybody who’s interested I can recommend you have a go, its great fun. Go to it Alex.

Ok, I'm starting to get a bit confused. Is this the norm when flying 3 channel on mode 2 ? As I said I can see how I could easily adopt it myself but didn't want to get into "bad habits" no offence meant. I just assumed things were a bit more cast in stone for want of a better expression

Good stuff Nev....she's a sweet little model isn't she.....

As the guys have said for a 3 Channel model on Mode 2 I would put the rudder on the right hand stick......to me the primary turning control goes on the right no matter if its ailerons or rudder.....after all to turn left you add a bit of left bank & a bit of up elevator....it really doesn't matter if its ailerons or rudder that create the bank.....

I would suggest you are mode likely to get into funny Mode 1 type ways by keeping the rudder on the left......dont know

Ok. I’ll give it a go. It just never dawned on me to try it.

I’ve never flown rudder only before, or seen anybody else. I had a play on a simulator but the rudder only model had the control on the left stick. The lads in my club mostly fly helie’s, the couple who do fly fixed wing are bank and yank on the aileron and don’t bother with rudder at all. There are a couple of fixed wing examiners I could have asked, but never thought to, although I don’t see them very often as I don’t get down very much.

Now you have pointed it out I can see it will be more instinctive.

Rudder on the right thumb, definitely the way to go, thanks all for the advice.

While I was swapping the cannels I also added a little down and side thrust. The down thrust helps to stop it zooming when I open the throttle, but I didn’t notice much effect with the side trust. But I have it trimmed reasonable straight now and it flies very nicely. Well worth the build.

One slight drawback with having the rudder on the right. You immediately think you flying some sort of aerobatic type. 2 minuets into the flight and I’m wanting to try a roll ! A bit hairy, lost a bit of height but not a problem. Although I may not try it again for a while. Loops easily from level.

Good stuff Nev.......thumbs up

Mini Supers are not really meant for aerobatics as you have found out but date from a time when simply completing a radio controlled flight was a major achievement....they look best just trundling around with the odd loop & touch & go thrown in for good measure....they do spin quite nicely too.....teeth 2

Hi. No I wasn't really expecting aerobatics and I'm no expert either. I might have a go at spins though as I've never managed to do this properly. But mostly I would be happy just gently buzzing about

• 2 months later...

Well here she is, my first build for over 40yrs. It has been a steep learning curve, or to be more precise a steep remembering curve. I must have done something right as the model has come out at 950grams and the balance point is as per drawing. It is an electric conversion and Iam indebted to Nev for the inspiration to start. I have fitted ailerons and reduced the dihederal . All I need do now is learn to fly it. Doe's it fly, dunno, but nothing leaves me to suspect it won't.

Motor is an Airtek 2835/1100kv prop 10X5 Battery 2200 3s.Mini Super

Edited By John Miller 4 on 06/09/2012 19:38:46

John. That’s an excellent job mate, well done. I bet your well pleased with that one. She will definitely fly well, half throttle, a bit more for the launch. If it were me I couldn’t wait to get it in the air. I assume when you say “learn to fly it” you just mean the Mini Super, your not a complete beginner. If so then good luck with the maiden.

Not that is wouldn’t make a suitable trainer but I’m self taught and if you go down that road you have to be prepared to make repairs, I think I may have mentioned this in the very first post. So you take your time, get some advice / help if you need to. Don’t want to spoil a lovely build, you’ve obviously taken a lot of care over.

PS. Mine is awaiting a little repair ! The result of flying in quite a high wind. Coped with the wind no problem but the battery went dead quicker that expected and she got flipped over downwind of the strip trying to get back. Back in the air soon though.

Nev.

Sorry to disapoint Nev, but I am greener than the turf at Wembley. I have a 'pipe lagger' with which I am learning the basics with the aid of a Club instructor. Once I have mastered that, I can progress to the Mini super. It will have a test flight in the next few days but not with me on the sticks. Now! what shall I build next?

Is it just me or does a Min-Super look "wrong" with no dihedral...smile o...?

Looks a great build John...I'm sure the ailerons will be more effective with a flat wing.....I look forward to hearing about your first fright....er I mean flight!!!!wink 2

Sorry to hear about the "uncontrolled contact with terra firma" Nev......I'm sure you will have her back in the air in no time.....rudder/elevator models are a bit difficult to fly in a blow.....turning with just rudder seems to take ages when its windy with the model disappearing downwind at a great rate of knots....crook

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone

I do not know if this tread is alive any more but I have had a real pleasure reading it. Just like Nev tells us early in this thread, my first model was a Mini Super. I build it with some help from my father. (He was building RC boats). It was back in ´72 and I was only 14. The model was a Keil Kraft kit with a trike, a .20 Graupner and a 72MHz Futaba. Needless to say the first flight was not a great success. The model hit a building, luckily nobody got hurt. My brother fixed the model and got his turn with even worse result. Sometime early in the eighties I rebuild the model and covered it with modern covering and put in an OS .15. I tried to fly it a couple of times with a little better result and managed to keep the model in one piece. And this summer, more than forty years later I decided to try again to manage the model. This time I got me a simulator. I learned to control the model with tiny rudder and an elevator only and have been flying many times this summer and have enjoyed it very much. After a few hard landings I had to rebuild the bottom and used the opportunity to change to a tail dragger. It works fine. To help manage it on the runway during take-off I made the tail wire about 20 cm and now I can drive it the whole runway. If anyone is interested in pictures you can have a look at **LINK** The text is in Icelandic but can be translated with Google Translate J

Now I want to do jet another rebuild of the model this winter. I aim at building it again with a trike, but now with steerable nose wheel and maybe ailerons. A part from that I intend to be as true to the picture of the box (which I still have) as possible. I see that Jim Carss has built two wings and I think that is a brilliant idea. I‘m not sure where to put the servos or how this should be done so I would appreciate it very much if Jim would be willing to post some photos of where the servos and control horns are placed.

Sorry for how long this post is an forgive me my spelling errors

Regards,

Birgir