Mini Super Build

Nev

Cheers chaps. I’m enjoying this, more than I thought I would.

Hi Steve, no I think I’m going to leave it as it is. It feels very strong as it is and when the top and bottom are sheeted I think its going to be enough. To be honest I didn’t realise the plan called for it to be sheeted anyway. I’ve just had another look and its not obvious, although now you mention it I think I remember the original being sheeted. If you hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t have given it a thought.

I haven’t built a fuselage like this for many a year. It quite suits my building style, grabbing a few minuets here and there, you can just add a few more cross pieces or a fillet and soon you have the complete thing.

This is how I plan to fix the cowl. Small hard wood blocks glued on the inside, drilled and tapped, to accept a M5 nylon screw. I think is should be ok.

This is it for now, starting to look the part and feels very strong. Need to sort out the battery box and servos etc. next. Not my most favourite part of building anything, as it just seems to soak up time, with very little to sow.

Got a little bit done. This is how I have everything laid out. The servoes are probably a bit too far back but it laves a bit of room the get the battery in and out and some adjustment for the CoG. The speed controller is under the battery tray.

I have a couple of options for the motor depending on how it, balances. I’m planning on the smaller one, which will give about 250 – 300 W. That should be plenty but it will need an 11” prop, so the undercarriage legs are a bit longer than the plan.

Good to know your still having fun with yours Jim. Getting on pretty well with mine, I'm pleasantly surprised how quickly its going together.

I'm sure a 10x7 will be fine. I had originally planned on a 9" prop but that was before I had a a look at my motor choice, not the end of the world if i have to get a higher kv one. How much power does yours take Steve, have you ever measured it.

I can see you are a man who keeps records, very commendable. That will be the database then, sorry I could have checked myself. In fact I have at some point in the past, I just forgot.

I should also submit 1 or 2 of my own but I tend to forget once the plane is in the air. I can usually find the bits of paper if I need too but it can take a bit of time, not being the organised type. I’ll do a proper job with this one.

The 1/16th sheeting on the top went on surprisingly easy, around some quite tight rounded corners too. I just wet the outside and around it went, I was half expecting it to crack but no.

Here is a bit more of the cowl idea, fit the sides.

Glue on the front.

Now just glue some thicker pieces on the top, sheet the bottom and start whittling.

Thanks for the comments, although I wouldn’t call it beautiful I’m a bit happy with the glue for that.

The spacers are just that, plastic spacers I found at work. Probably from RS, 10mm long with a M4 hole. 4 bits of wood with a hole drilled in would work equally as well. It make the mounting a lot stronger than just using a threaded bar and if I need to use the larger / longer motor I can just fit it without the spacers and the prop will be in about the same place.

Hiya all. Steve I've just been watching your videa of your mini super overflying your patch. Now going off thread a bit. One of my favourite television programs is Time Team. During this program they sometimes fly over an area and you can clearly see marks in the ground showing the possibility of buildings etc; If you look closely at the green field you fly over you can see definate lines (different colour green) of what appears to be a row of buildings.

Geoff...........Archialogical dept

Great cowl Nev....makes the front end of mine look very amature-ish......embarrassed

Geoff...yes its interesting.....I suspect that these are ancient aeromodelling sheds where our ancestors used to carve models of Pterodactyls using sharpened flint hand-axes....wink 2...in fact a few of the club members are so old they may even remember this period...I'll have to ask 'em....teeth 2.

There are rumours that the perfectly preserved body of an Aeromodeller was dug up from the surrounding boggy drainage pits. He was so well preserved that you could still see the balsa cement residue on his fingers & they were able to carbon date him by the balsa dust found on his clothing. They were even able to discover that his last meal was a Ginsters Meat & Potato Pasty. It is believed that he decided to end it all by jumping into the flooded pit when his Quaker Flash caught a booming thermal & was lost in the direction of the hamlet of Wig Hame (later Wigan)teeth 2

Actually where we fly is known as White Moss & I believe many years ago they used to extract peat from it. SMAC has been there since 1974 & I think there was flying on the site before that....I'm not sure there were ever buildings there apart from those connected with the peat digging perhaps....the ground beneath is pretty boggy.....the grass practically "floats". Our "patch" is known affectionately as "The Trampoline" by members because if you jump up & down at one corner you can see the other corner rising & falling too.....smile p