Mini Super Build

Nev

I have been a bit stalled with this lately, other things that need doing. I have a couple more pics though.

I’m sure you have all seen this type of thing before.

I have decided to glues the tail on permanently rather than use bands.

It needs a bit of sheeting, the snakes running and some other fussy little bits like windscreens fitting but essentially that’s about it really. It’s on with the rib cutting next.

I know, I can see what you mean about the legs. They’re not actually as bad as it looks but I am using a commercial undercarriage and although it is not that high off the ground they have quite a wide track so the legs “look” long. I’ll see what there like when I've finished and if it still looks out of place I’ll bend my own. Just trying to avoid the extra work.

Same for the battery hatch, it’s not having one. Battery goes in through the wing opening, kept in place with velcro. With a banded on wing and no wires to connect, it's not such a chore. The plan is to keep is simple, the build short and make sure I get it finished quickly (I want to fly this summer). So far it’s working, by my standards anyway.

I will keep the CofG in mind though, I have a habit of making a heavy tail end, then having to add ballast at the front. Hopefully not this time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a nice set of ribs cut. I wasn’t looking forward to this bit but pleasantly surprised how easy and accurate they are were with only minimal sanding.

The white one in front is a hard plastic blank I cut first, with a bit of fine sand paper stuck to the bottom to stop it slipping. Then holding it firmly in place on the 1/6th sheet, trace around with a sharp scalpel. I haven’t tried this method before and I expected them to come out in varying sizes. But with patience, a sharp scalpel and a couple of hours work I am very pleased. I will be doing this again.

Then because I hade some time and not done any for a while I did a bit of building. Just the centre section thankfully as I think I made every mistake in the book. Grain going the wrong way, ribs not square, ribs in the wrong order, sheeting too wide so it had to be trimmed back. Even glued the whole thing to the cutting mat ! In other words I was rushing it.

The only reason it looks sort of ok in the picture is because the photo is blurred as well ! but was so disgruntled with myself at this point I refused to take another one. I will try and remember this lesson. If its not going well stop. I was just too impatient to get something done, so every time I made a mistake I carried on and did something else silly.

The plan doesn’t show the centre section completely sheeted like that but as it’s going to be banded on I thought the extra bit of sheeting would be better. I have also changed the LE section too, using a bit of 3/16 x ½ sheet instead of the 3/16 square shown on the plan set diamond fashion in the front of the rib.

Nice job Nev,

Theres something very satisfying about cutting a bunch of ribs, for me anyway and I try to cut a blank from 1/16" ply for every wing I build then glue a piece of sand paper on one side. It's not only useful if and when another wing is needed but for OD's theres normally something in the box that will suit.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again and thanks for the encouragement. Just a little bit further.

No ailerons on this one (still not sure about that but told it will be fine) so a simple wing build. I only have a small board so one panel at a time.

The plan says 2” at the tip, I assume that is the actual tip and not the last rib. You wouldn’t think so but it makes about 1/2 “ difference. I’m itching to join the two bits together but waiting until I have the other panel build so I can sand it to fit the centre section without the other panel getting in the way.

Nev,

When I built mine I made it 3 channel with the wing as per plan,2" under each tip and it flies very well, I still have the original wing in the garage.

I built the aileron / flap wing just to see how it would work and it works ok, I have increased the rudder area just give better ground handling.

Keep at it

JIm

I'm sure it will be fine on Rudder only Nev.....as Jimbo says increasing the rudder area might be an idea but I guess you're beyond that now.....I fitted ailerons to my MS but foolishly left the dihedral as standard & it turns better on rudder than ailerons...I use a CAR mix & that sorts it quite nicely....

If I built another aileron wing I'd drop the dihedral to about 1/2" under each tip as the Great Jimbo has done....thumbs up

Only joking about the ailerons and the rudders built too so we will just have to see.

I know for a fact the size of this rudder is at least double the one on my original Kiel Kraft kit. The original was more like a trim tab, not full length like this. Not too worried about the ground handling either as our patch is a bit rough anyway, so I may be hand launching.

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly getting there.

Wing panels made and joined together.

Just a bit of sheeting to finish on the top of the wings and its all done bar the sanding and covering.

I think I need to put a bit of a spurt on and get it finished before the enthusiasm goes altogether. There at too many other things to do now the days are lighter and longer.

Nice job Nev. She's looking great.

Not going to get a chance to even start mine this summer I'm afraid, due to working away almost every week at the moment.

I'll look forward to seeing your Mini Super take to the skies, via the pictures in this thread, though.

Shame your not going to get yours started yet leccy but I think we all understand the work thing, you got to do it while its there.

A nice easy build though I would recommend it to anybody wanting to try their hand at plan or kit building.

I also kept thinking all the way through that with a bit of tweaking I could easily have made this into a passable, cartoon scale Auster or similar spotter type. Maybe I’ll have a go at that next.

Edited By Nev on 19/05/2012 20:02:56

Nev

Have been looking at various models to build. Having seen this thread I am now climbing aboard. I have seen what you have done regarding the design and if it's O.K. with you I am going to copy you. I have got most of the materials, just need to clear the bench of my current project and a start will be made. Thanks for the inspiration. Like what you have done so far.

Thanks for the comments gents.

Feel free to build yours however you like John, I think that the point of building your own. I got the idea from Steve anyway but if my build helped in any way then that’s great, although you might find you want to tweak things your way as you go along. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have and please post some pics when you get started.

My plan came from Ben Buckle and I think its available from others but not sure about a download.

• 3 weeks later...

Well all you die hard, tissue and dope traditional vintage types better look away now.

A nice bit of heat shrink film and all done by the flying. Don’t know when I’ll get that in, what with all this weather and other stuff to do.

980g including the 35g of lead in the tail to get the balance right. The motor turns a comfortable 230 W with a 10x7 prop, on a less than fully charger battery so easily over 100W/lb, should be more than ample.

Edited By Nev on 06/06/2012 20:58:12