Matador build by Big Bandit

Thanks Chris,

no plans to buy one at the moment, but I suspect that the contents of your shed is weighting the international distribution.

This has been a great build blog, entertaining and informative. When are you planning to maiden it ?(don't say Greenacres)..

Martyn

Hi All,

Just a bit done today in the shed, the only problem was I had the Rugby on the radio which was a distraction, Tigers beat Saracens so their of to Twickenham teeth 2.

Anyroadup, having already built the wings it was just a matter of sanding and fettling before joining. I did add braces to the LE and rear spars as well as the main spars and TE. Otherwise I've made no changes from the plan. Sanded and joined ready for covering tomorrow.

Matador 164

One thing I do on wings is ensure they are balanced properly, and as I have no lead shot now on this one I've just used some medium hard glued to the penultimate rib. On a model that's covered in Nylon or silk a heavier coat of dope will work.

matador 165

I've looked at my stock of cream litespan and I'm down to my last two packs, but that should be enough for this one, so If alls well it should be finished tomorrow. The weight of the wings in this state is 3 1/2 oz's so I'm well within my target  for less than 2lb AUW.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 12/05/2012 22:01:30

Hi Dave,

I've used 3/16" strip glued into the V on the LE of the ribs then sanded to shape, the centre section sheeting is just on the top of the centre section to the first set of ribs beyond the centre rib.I must admit it's not the way I would normally build wings.

My preferred method is to use a false LE glued to the a flat cut to the LE of the ribs then add vertical webbing to the main spars and sheet the LE top and bottom over the spars and webbing. To maintain the rib profile I then use cap strips top and bottom. Finishing off with a true LE again shaped to the rib profile.

As I only intend to use the Matty as a guided free flight, the method on the plan should suffice providing the model is built lightly.

I do remember that I once had a Cambria Navion which used a similar wing construction, and was powered by an OS pet with an RC throttle. It was great until I learned to do rudder elevator barrel rolls. After a number of flights the wood worm stopped holding hands !. If the intention is to use the Matty as a three channel trainer style model, the wing construction and dihedral bracing need to be improved.

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

The Tigers---Leicester I assume,I remember reading a book or two by Michael Green,one of them was 'The art of Coarse Rugby' bought by my twin brother Pete. Michael Green played for Leicester as I am sure you know? My twin brother played briefly for Bristol at scrum half in 1970 and was reserve for the South West of England against the Springbox that year. He also played for Cheltenham RFC and Gloucestershire. He was no good at aeromodelling though!

Soldered the Deans connectors on to the batteries and speed controller today so the Matador is now ready for another test,but I could only buy a 9x6 prop at Avicraft and have ordered a 9x4 which could arrive by Tuesday next.

The plane's weight is now down to 2lb 2oz and I have relocated the speed controller within the front cowling where it wedges nicely and will recieve plenty of air flow.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/05/2012 00:02:26

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/05/2012 00:06:14

Hi Mike,

The Tigers are not the side they once were, but still very good, the best Years were the best years were the 90's. That's good news on the Matty especially the weight loss, that should be a sweet flier. It's very satisfying to me when I can get a model sorted out down to a decent weight because I know they usually fly better.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 13/05/2012 10:13:33

Chris,

As I have just reported on the other blog my 9.6 volt batteries all failed after short tests this morning after receiving 0.5 amp 'fast charges'. I suspect my charger is at fault as last year I had similar problems with the Twin Star batteries which would not always accept fast charges but were OK after long trickle charges. I had hoped to test fly the Matador again this morning. I seem to be spending a lot of time on the Matador project such that I am missing out on flying anything else.

Regards,

Mike

Hi All,

Only a bit today, but it ain't far off now,

Wings covered, and I must admit it's not me best effort but I'll have to live with it.

Matador 166

The tips on the upper surface were a right pain with Litespan.

Matador 167

And the other one.

Matador 168

But they'll have to do, I've done the graphics and sprayed them.

Matador 169

They need three coats so while they dried, I needed a charger for a 130 mA/H rx pack, so I've knocked one up on a bit of Vero board

matador 170

Stuck it in a box.

Matador 171

Test it.

Matador 172

That'll do me, so charge a pack to see how it holds up.

Matador 173

Anyroadup the transfers are dry enough to check out now and I think you can see where I'm going.

Matador 174

Work tomorrow so I'll get the thick end of nowt done as I'm supposed to be indoor flying in the evening, so I'd like to finish it on Tuesday evening then get back on with the Super 60.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Mike,

Yes the super 60 is now well overdue so I need to get on with it now the Matty's finished and now the footy posts are coming down at the patch, it's just waiting for favourable weather. We've had hail stones to day here.

The transfers are so easy to do, it's just another option for all of my models to me.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 15/05/2012 17:58:20

Edited By Big Bandit on 15/05/2012 17:59:07

Hi Chris, just got back from the caravan and been catching up with the posts. Don't worry about the wing tips they'd show mine up I'm just glad someone else thinks litespan is a real pain. Like the decals must have a go myself, I'm just waiting for a decent day to maiden matty.

Regards

Lee

Hi BB,

Re your exhaust extension. I have used longer lengths of silicone tube on diesels and taken the tube down and fasten to an u/c leg - helps keep the crud off the tail plane. If you PM your address, I can send you a bit of 6mm bore tube which should be OK with your PAW. I'd need to know how long a piece you would need if you'd like to give it a go.

Re transfers, I hadn't heard of Crafty Paper until now, but used to produce water slide transfers from ordinary "lick and stick" paper. A coat of clear dope on the sticky side followed by the design usually painted with Humbrol enamels and left to dry - no printers in those days. After applying transfer to model and allowing to dry thoroughly, a coat of polyurethane varnish finished the job.

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 17/05/2012 20:57:22

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the offer but I already have some, the thing I used had been loitering in the shed for some time and has ridges on the silencer end to get tiewraps on so I used that. I cant remember where it came from and I've thrown the packaging away now.

Someone else mentioned the brown lick and stick stuff, I'd heard of it in the dim and distant past but never tried it, mainly due to me being absolute rubbish at anything arty even painting by numbers. I'm going to try some Polyurethane varnish on these but I'll try the old cowl I did before spraying the Matty.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi All,

I've been a bit busy this week, mainly trying to get the roof trusses for the garage finished, the sanding was the worst trying to get some done between showers, in the end I gave up and finished them in the garage. Made loads of dust.

Matador 175

Then Cuprinol them outside cover and allow to dry. 7 done just two to router out for the end cladding.

Matador 176

So the transfers are complete on the Matty, and it don't look half bad.

Matador 180

The wing transfers would be difficult to do any other way other than Vinyl.

Matador 181

The elevator does look small though.

Matador 182

Matador 183

And the AUW including wing bands. 1lb 13 oz's which I hoped for something under 2lb.

Matador 184

I can get on with the Super 60 now and try to finish the last two roof trusses. I think from then on for a couple of months I'll be committed to finish the new workshop when it has a new roof on. Hope you liked the Matty build.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 18/05/2012 19:33:19

Really excellent Chris and 5 oz lighter than my model at present.

Best of luck with your roofing works, I can't think where you get the time for aeromodelling and DIY?

Depending on the weather I might try to do some flying on Sunday at Bartons Point now that a trip to Southampton has been cancelled. I will take the Weston Cougar,Twinstar and Easy Rider and leave the 3 channel models at home I think.

Best Wishes,

mike

• 2 weeks later...