The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**

ross blackwell

Eric,

Sorry I wasn't completely clear and yes, you're right, I meant that no subscription prevents you from accessing the back issue library.

Julian,

As per my PM's, I have asked someone from the subs bureau to contact you, I've asked for an update again and will get back to you when I hear something from them.

Thanks

Beth

Edited By Beth Ashby Moderator on 03/05/2019 11:30:57

My paper RCME came through the letterbox this morning wrapped in its plastic cover. It doesn't actually say but my wife ( a keen recycler/gardener etc) wondered if it was compostable or at least biodegradable or capable of recycling? There's nothing to give any indication. Just wondered as many of us are becoming more aware of unnecessary single-use plastic use.

Geoff

Hi Beth

I'm a digital only subscriber and normally use a Chromebook (an Android device) for reading the digital issues. I have noticed that all RCME editions from March 19 onwards load automatically on the Chromebook, but all issues from February and earlier require me to click on a link to Adobe Flash Player before the issue loads. Presumably the difference is related to the change in the magazine viewer.

However, this morning I tried to read the Jan 18 issue on my Android mobile phone and all that came up was a plain black page with a note in the middle about scrolling. All the issues from March 19 onwards did load alright, and further investigation proved that all the rest of the issues prior to February 19 came up with the same blank page as the Feb issue.

Please can you advise me what I need to do to get these older issues to load onto my phone.

Kind regards

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 07/05/2019 11:38:24

PS. Adobe Flash player is well known for having security issues so I am wary of it. In the process of googling how to get Adobe Flash on my phone, I found an article on CNN Business that said Adobe stopped developing the application in 2011 for mobile devices. It also said that from 2020 Adobe will stop supporting Flash Player altogether. Apparently websites now use HTML5 in preference to Adobe Flash. Is that what the new magazine reader uses?

Whilst other flash players are available, I don't know if they're trustworthy.

Finally, what will happen to the online availability of the back-issue library when Adobe Flash Player is abandoned by Adobe next year? Will we still have access?

The back catalogue has been of great value to me and no doubt many others over the years, and far better than a Pocketmags library which only lets you read issues forward from the first one you bought. I'm wondering now if it's planned that the availability of Modelflying's huge RCME magazine back catalogue even to a newcomer (I've been signed up for only a few years) should be regarded as privilege at present, and access prior to March 19 may die with Flash player.

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 07/05/2019 12:32:32

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 04/05/2019 15:33:45:

I have just downloaded the latest digital RCM&E and, as sometimes happens, one if the pages failed to load properly, it appears as a page of random colours with a 0 in a black box.

Is there any way to get the viewer to delete the edition and re-upload it

HI Shaun,

Would you mind taking a look and letting me know if the issue has been resolved for you now? I've had a message from the lady who uploads to say its all showing clear her end. If not, could you let me know which page is missing. Feel free to PM if easier.

Thanks

Beth

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 04/05/2019 17:36:45:

My paper RCME came through the letterbox this morning wrapped in its plastic cover. It doesn't actually say but my wife ( a keen recycler/gardener etc) wondered if it was compostable or at least biodegradable or capable of recycling? There's nothing to give any indication. Just wondered as many of us are becoming more aware of unnecessary single-use plastic use.

Geoff

I've asked the question... will come back to you when I have an answer!

Hi Gordon,

I've taken all your questions back to the IT chap and will reply as soon as I have something solid for you. I can confirm that the difference you're seeing from the March 19 issue is due to the change in magazine viewer but need some clarity on your other questions before I can answer them.

Thanks for your patience,

Beth

Missing free subscription gift?

My eyes may be deteriorating but can someone please point out where in the subscription offer pages in RCM&E the gift solely relates to a DD subscription?

I sent in a £47 cheque annual subscription and received my acknowledgement 18th March with a notice please wait 28 days after offer closes for gift if one is applicable. May's and June's mags arrived but still no gift,

Two calls to Time Media and I think they just kept repeating that one was not applicable with a annual cheque for print subscription and that a supervisor would get back to me. Now I won't share my email or phone no so will have to wait for a letter - we will see. Then to top it off they said the Aluminum Allen screwdrivers I particularly wanted were not available. The current Etronix Analyser is of no use.

Can someone please point out where in the subscription offer pages the gift solely applies to a DD or Print + Digital? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

"Missing free subscription gift"

Again called Time Media UK customer services and this time spoke to a very helpful chap in South Africa. (I asked)

Outcome were some very nice Allen screwdrivers arrived a few days later - result.