Super 60 Build. This is my poor effort!

I have been impressed by the workmanship and camera skills on both Big Bandit and Andy Green's Super 60 build logs. My own workmanship is not as good as their's and if anyone wants to know how to build a Super 60 they could do worse than to look at their threads.

My own version is a bit of a hybrid; the fuselage has been built off an early single channel plan while the tailplane is the flat-plate Ben Buckle version. I said in an earlier post that I would use balsa for the wing spars but when I checked I found that none of my balsa that I had in stock was hard enough so I used some spruce which I had to hand.

Some of the joints were not as tight as those of Big Bandit or Andy Green's but I have made them good with scrap balsa cyanoed into place. Furthermore I cut out the wing ribs from the plan but did not get the taper at the rear at all right so the trailing edge is a bit thick.

I have made three minor modifications.

1.I've let in some sheet balsa between the longerons at the exreme rear of the fuselage to provide a bigger glueing surface for the tailplane to adhere to.

2. I have added some balsa block to the leading edge of the centre section of the wing to match the cabin top in the style of a Junior 60.

3. I have positioned the undercarriage slightly more rearwards than indicated on the plan as I'm told that these models sometimes ground loop with the undercarriage in the stock position.

I enjoyed carving all of that 1/2" block in the nose and have arranged to mount the engine on a paxolin plate. I shall probably use my Irvine 30 instead of the Merco 35 simply because the carburetter sits a fair bit higher on the Irvine and it's not necessary to file a groove in the nose to accomodate the main needle which would be the case with the Merco.

Finally I don't intend to cover my model in silk or nylon as it's far too time consuming and I have a fair bit of Solartex in stock. The pictures show th tailplane under construction; the starboard wing on the building board, note the spruce spars; the starboard wing being attached to the wing centre section, note the tidy workshop (!) and the completed basic construction of the model minus elevator, undercarriage and rudder.

I've found that I have 2.5" under each wing tip rather than the 2" or 4" measurements shown on the BB and original plan respectively.

Still, I expect it'll fly alright.

Edited By David Davis on 20/05/2012 20:20:50

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 22/05/2012 09:56:33

Hi David,

It looks a very tidy build from here thumbs up and with the wing area I would think as FF has said Solartex will make an ideal covering for the model. As for the Irvine it should be the perfect power source for the S60. I'm looking forward to following this one.

Cheers,

Chris.

My first successful r/c model was a Junior 60 which is a similar sized model. I covered the fuselage in nylon and the wings and tail in Solartex. It flew well enough on an Irvine 20 though it required 1.5 lbs of lead in its very short nose! The main reason for this was that I'd made the tail out of very heavy balsawood. I haven't made the same mistake with the Super 60.smiley

The Super 60 has a much longer nose and the Irvine 30 is physically the same size as the 40 so I'm not anticipating having to add lead.

I believe at least half a dozen of us promised to build Super 60s for Greenacres. How are the other builds coming on.

A Mod has plodded DG.....smile p...does it look OK now....?

The problem is caused by not pressing carriage return between each pic (ie inserting a blank line)...the software interprets it as one very wide picture & posts it under the ads....

Using Compatability View in IE will often sort it but much better to have a free line between each pic....

Looks great to me David....Super 60s always fly well....I think that Solartex will be a perfect covering...yes its a bit heavier than ordinary plastic film but not that much...plus it looks the part too being very similar to nylon. Very easy to use as a bonus too....thumbs up

I covered my Mini Super in Solartex......flies great.....

It won't be ready for this weekend Chris as I have too many family and work committments, besides, I still have to cover it, fuel-proof the covering, connect up the servos and fit the radio, undercarriage and engine.

I have tried three times to add a picture of the tank installation without success. I.e, I cannot upload the photograph to the "My Photos" section because there is a fault with the site.

Mods please investigate.

Having renamed the photo "tank," the system seems to have worked. Having said that, it is far more complicated to upload a picture to this site than it is to upload one to RC Groups or RC Universe. Very unuser friendly.

The picture shows the tank installation. It is held in place by silicone sealant as well as the cable tie.

I have subsequently covered the tank bay with 1/64" ply. I've made a bit of a horlicks of it as I found it difficult top glue the edges to the fuselage structure. However, I once worked as a decorator and given enough sandpaper and filler I can get most things to look right!

Perhaps Andy but is there as much as this? smile

The picture below shows the filler before final sanding, the other two are pictures of the forward fuselage ready for covering.

Edited By David Davis on 24/05/2012 08:56:43

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/05/2012 09:16:11

BTW, I note that ten of us opted to build Super 60's for Greenacres but so far only three, Big Bandit's, Andy Green's and mine have featured on the website.

I deliberately started a new thread because I felt that Chris and Andy's models were so well built that they might intimidate lesser mortals and weaker bretheren! I'm confident that my less than perfect example will fly well. I'm very impressed by the strength of the model, especially the wing.

So come on you other seven! How are you all getting on?

Or do I have to start naming names? face 1.

Posted by David Davis on 24/05/2012 08:56:05:

Or do I have to start naming names? face 1.

Go on David....you know you want to.......teeth 2

Don't worry about the filler.......this can be attributed to "irregularities in the grain"......I use this excuse all the time.....embarrassed

I'm very impressed by the pictures...you seem to have got black diesel smuts onto the model already....this will surely gain you extra marks with the die hard vintage fraternity....thumbs up

Or could it be that your camera lens needs cleaning....wink 2

That's interesting. My DSLR (Canon EOS350) has a dark blob like that on all photos using various lenses and despite cleaning the sensor a few times it remains. If anyone knows how to remove it I'd be very grateful? Sorry, straying from topic here....

This is as far as I've got.

The model is built and covered in Solartex, mostly Vintage Red. The white wing and tail tips and rudder are to assist orientation as I can see me using this model as an ab initio trainer with elderly novices. I still have to; glue and pin the hinges; connect the control surfaces and throttle control; fit the cabin glazing; the spray the model with Clearcoat and apply the decals.

The close ups show the tail wheel retained by a small nut soldered to a piece of wire and the wire attached to the model with small screws and brass strip.

I hope to maiden the model next weekend weather permitting.