How many flyable models do you have?

There are 29 flyable models in my loft and garage. Its daft really because a flying season can go by and a good majority of the planes do not see the light of day. However they all represent fun for the future like my golf clubs,fishing rods,and table tennis bats. I have 5 planes that need finishing also.

Somehow I need to get rid of my squash rackets,Korfball boots,Badminton rackets as my age has now reached 65. How long can you fly model planes for,up to what age--anyone know?

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/05/2012 23:22:00

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/05/2012 23:23:39

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/05/2012 23:27:12

Ooops, clicked on 4-7 but then started counting...

I have 8 fixed wing and 3 helis:

Firebird STII V-tail

Kyosho Calmato 40 Trainer c/w Kyosho .46 IC

Thunder Tiger Cessna 182 lektrik park flyer

Max Thrust J3 Cub lektrik

Dynham Sbach 342 lektrik

WOT4 Foam-E lektrik

Art-Tech Mig 15 EDF lektrik

WOT4 Mk2 c/w SC.46 IC

Raptor 30 V2

Century GL450

Century Spirit CX

So that makes 11

With the exception of the IC WOT4, they are all ready and capable of flight.  I, however, am not! teeth 2

Edited By Baron Baz on 22/05/2012 00:19:06

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/05/2012 23:20:54:

Somehow I need to get rid of my squash rackets,Korfball boots,Badminton rackets as my age has now reached 65. How long can you fly model planes for,up to what age--anyone know?

I'd guess it would be until the eyes or the brain go...and once the vision and reactions start to dull, with the right models you should be able to go on longer.

We've got members flying well into their late 70s and even longer in some cases. The only problem seems to be when people won't accept that they need to modify their aspirations due to the above but experience can go a long way in countering some of the shortcomings.

It`s good to know that we are all supporting our part of the model trade, and that we are buying models and materials instead of new trainers & trackies. On the other hand it does become compulsive to acquire more models and radios and lots of stuff,and as a result, sometimes the purpose gets overlooked. Building is a pleasure, flying is a pleasure, acquisition for it`s own sake is dubious.

I`m as bad as the next bloke, with 9 gliders, 3 aeroplanes and a heli all ready to go next time the wind drops below gale force, if the rain goes off, oops just looked out of the window, there`s a big bright light in the sky, must get ready.

I have a friend at the club, probably the best pilot I`ve ever met, and he has a Super Chipmunk and a Graupner Taxi, both around 18 years old,and that`s all. They fly nearly every week in any reasonable weather, and he`s never damaged either of them, is this a record?

I have a spektrum dx7 , a dx6i , 2 hitech optic 6, and three other single model radios all full of planes , receivers, batteries ,motors to match .

You do the maths ,

its quite a few , question

You didnt ask about the helis or gliders yetwink 2

only have a dx6i so 10 models ready to fly. Got another 10 that could be flown if I get another tx lol.

Just bough a second hand blaster 2 after getting a hlg bug a while ago and getting the bug for hlg gliders so really looking forward to the blaster.

Rest of planes are mixture of warbirds, 3d and powered gliders.

Really need to sell some planes though cant fly em all, mist of the time cant fly any cos of crappy weather lmfao.

My count is 17.

Pilot balsa kit Pitts S2a (unflown but all ready to go).

Stryker F27Q

Stryker F27B (extensively modded to above F27C spec)

Fly Party EPP Eagle

Art-tech Coota

Dynam PBY Catalina (repaint to RAF coastal command)

GWS P-40

Richmodel Yak 54 (balsa artf)

PT 19 depron aerobat scale (not profile)

1 micro park fighter twin

Plus have one unassembled rtf (sherbert)+ a balsa kit to build (Gentle Lady 2m glider).

Then the heli`s:

1 E-Smart 600

2 Esky Belt CP 450`s

1 HK 450

2 Esky Co-commanche`s (1 in airwolf body) co-axial.

1 Century Airwolf 2.4ghz co-axial

Plus (don`t tell the missus!!!) have a hobbyking falcon flying wing & fpv kit on backorder).

Storage is a bit of a snag, 1 over pc downstairs, 3 in spare room & rest in bedroom (on wardrobe, window sill, chest of drawers).

Did I mention the 2 R/C tanks?.

Out of all that lot, the EPP Eagle gets the most airtime as will fly from nextdoors overgrown field.

I counted before scribing here and I'm a few short, my vintage fleet ready to go is a BB falcon laser 70, plan built Southerner major (my favourite vintage) os 52 fs, BB super scorpion, OS 40 FS, Windy aint it, os 26 fs, a junior 60 with os 25 FP, My more contemporary stuff include a kyosho calmato 60 with sc 61, a black horse ultimate with a saito 125, an Xtra Wot with OS 160 Fx I haven't flown the last two yet, btw, an ugly stick with an irvine 36, a thunder tiger V-Bat with os 10 FP, ARC cessna with 91 fx and floats waiting for maiden, arc jupiter with sc 46, a black horse midget mustang with a YS 110 FZ, a hangar 9 F 22 with a ys 45 2 stroke (both the latter as yet unflown), a multiplex merlin, a kyosho 2 channel glider, can't remember the name(radian???),a wingbat electric delta, an indoors electric thing can't remember the name, I originally admitted to 13 but now see I've 18.

I have the usual pile of junk filling the garage, loft and caravan "awaiting repair" flair DV11, H9 pulse 60, WM 1/5 scale cub, Precedent T180, 2 acrowots, one 30 yr old wot 4 (which will be repaired) another arc cessna and arc jupiter(I like em) and an artf slopoke 40 and a chris foss middle phase mk 1 which is 30 + years old and has 30 year old servos installed!).

Awaiting completion is a 3 D model, I can't remember it's name, another flair DV11, another multiplex merlin, a BT hurricane awaiting my decision on coverall or solartex, a semiscale seabee, a CG cub and CG Ultimate, an almost completed flair black magic plus another black magic that has some severe hangar rash, I have engines and servos for these but not rxs.

I have also several kits to keep me busy, including a Veron FW 190 A-3 control liner when I burn this lot that's awaing repair!!!

All the flyable ones have all r/c gear installed, except the nicads which I keep in the airing cupboard and they are all ready to either to fly or for sale.

I honestly thought I was normal, but now I'm not that sure.

Edited By John Gibbs on 23/05/2012 00:20:56

Edited By John Gibbs on 23/05/2012 00:26:53

Let's have a look.

Sebby Angel 50

Sebby Sukhoi 29- 30

Seagull Extra 300

Eflight Extra 300-32E

Flitework Edge 540 (Red Bull)

Seagull Edge 540 EP

E flight Extra UMX

Reichart Mephisto

CMP Discus

A Webbit

The number is frequently changing embarrassed

but a few models made it into their 3rd year (Sukoi, Mephisto, Discus...)

VA

All my models are flyable and almost all (60 models) are equiped with servos and engines. But complete with Rx, battery and switch are 16 which include all the Wot 4 fleet.

Wot Trainer

Wot 4 Mk 1

Wot 4 MK 2

Wot 4 Mk 3

Wot 4 Mk 2 XL

Wot 4 Mk 2 FoameE

Manxman

Kyosho Spitfire 90

Seagull Yak 54 90

Weston UK Cougar 2000

Galaxy models Mystic 95

Lark 70

GP Ultra Sport 40

Indoor micro bi-plane

ST Models Mx2

Indoor Helicopter

Ticked the 4 - 7 box because I had 5 ready to go:

Flair SE5A

Maricardo

Unknown 25cc Extra

Sharkface

GWS FW190 (stole the receiver from the other one!)

but have just added another - I've finished building PM's Harlequin from the March free plan! Maiden on Friday!

Posted by Richard Harris on 21/05/2012 23:37:03:
Not counted the 5 ARTF's as I feel ashamed of theseembarrassed

I find that comment quite sad - that a model's origins should be the subject of shame or snobbery.

At the end of the day, our hobby is about flying models. Building is one aspect of R/C aeromodelling but not everyone enjoys that part of the process.

My home situation leaves me very little time to myself. The garage reached a point long ago, where you can barely get a feeler gauge in there, nevermind the elbow room to build model aircraft. The last time I bashed some balsa, was 40+ years ago, with a Keil Kraft Invader and a Veron Cardinal.

All of my current models are all either ARTF, BNF, PNP or in the case of my old Kalt heli, a kit of plastic parts. If it wasnt for these readily available offerings, I would never fly. Partly because I dont have the time or space - and partly because I'm rubbish at building.

Ultramicro's have opened up more possiblilities for me, because they can be flown in comparatively small spaces and chucked in the carboot, for when an opportunity presents itself. T28 Trojan, Sukhoi 26XP, F27Q Stryker, Carbon Cub, UMX Beast, Blade mSR and mCPx - all micro marvels of BNF convenience. (And not a shameful blush in sight - lol).

I get a lot of enjoyment from flying whatever I can get - even if I didnt build it. Many of the modern BNF and ARTF models available, are much better than I'm capable of building myself.

Just for fun, I recently started project-planning a 'micro' Lancaster, at same scale as the new Parkzone UM Spitfire. It would've been 48" span and disappointingly expensive to make from scratch. Then I saw the new HobbyKing Lanc... same size as I planned but a much better model than I could've hoped to build, complete with everything except Rx and battery - for just £114 ! - I wouldn't even contemplate a scratchbuilt, when there's a PNP version, that cheap.

Pete Lowe summed it up perfectly, at the end of his Parkzone MKIV Spitfire review (Feb 2012): "...as a dedicated traditional builder of glow and petrol-powered models, some might be asking what on Earth I was doing at the patch with a small ARTF electric foamie. Quite simply: having a damn good time with a well-sorted model aircraft, for that, surely, is what this hobby is all about"