How many flyable models do you have?

I clicked on 7 because that's how many planes I have that are ready to go and in a Tx memory. The 7 includes 2 micros. I haven't included helis, I only have 3 small indoor ones anyway. I have other planes with receivers, esc's or other bits borrowed and one or two needing repair or fettling. Also I haven't included a big old i/c plane up in the loft that I'd like to sell. (the plane that is, not the loft).

Looking at the graph the mode value appears to be the 4-8 value. I can see from the postings many modellers have many more models, I assume that these have been acquired over some time.

I has made to consider how many models are actually sold in the UK over a 12 month period. Assuming there are 500,000 of us and we all bought one model, the spend would be circa £1m per year Does not seem a lot.

A further thought stemming from this how may specific model type, say Wot 4 constitutes a run.

I also though having seen literally hundreds of kits/artfs reviewed, are some actually less than say 100 per year.

Do you know?

Posted by Erfolg on 25/05/2012 20:48:08:
I has made to consider how many models are actually sold in the UK over a 12 month period. Assuming there are 500,000 of us and we all bought one model, the spend would be circa £1m per year Does not seem a lot.
Now then could some one post a link to these models priced at £2 each wink 2 .
Tom.

Tom

I do agree that scratch building is far to expensive today, if the LMS is used for small items. I believe that is why GC and HK have been so successful. There is an eye watering difference in cost of approximately *10 or more, between LMS and the HK.

I expect that my next model will be an ARTF by Parkzone, partly on the grounds of cost.

Been buying quite a few airframes/engines off ebay. Even though, there is trash, sometimes I get a good value. The last models I got were: Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee, £120, normally £249; Black horse P-36A, £80, inc servos and engine. normally £144 for the plane, Tucano, with servos and OS 40FP, £25.

Just maidened a SAS Star Jet, kit which I built. Got that from a Swopmeet for £25. Ideal for it, being gusty.

This rate, I'll be reaching 1000 by 2020...embarrassed

I have nine. They are: Wot Trainer, DB's Skyrider, my own Merrimog, Big Ship, DH Puss Moth, Webbit, Ronde Loper, Phoenix X and Windy Aint It. So three Artf's. Four have been maidened (not by me). My Webbit 52 should be ready in a few days. I built PM's CAP 21 a year or three back, advised not to try and fly it at that stage in my career (a situation that remains the same), but I plan to convert ailerons to separate servo mechanics. Otherwise, it has all it's gubbins. Have also repaired the Cessna 182 that I rescued from Barry's threat to bin it, but have no hardware for it. My Little Toot still awaits further attention, but all it's hardware and finishing materials are at hand.

I have kits for S 60, Popsie, the Nuijhaus Lysander and a Hornet Moth. Then, my 'must builds' (plans ready) include Fairy Firefly V, Mustang FAI, Miss Lizzie and a scaled up Javelan (sic).I also hope to indulge in a Wot 4 ARTF and either a Travelair or a Pulse 40 when I eventually solo.

I went to RC Hotel Corfu for the third time three weeks ago where I had another twentyfour flights with the beloved 'Ready'. That makes a total of 75 there on the buddy box. As I only had four flights in GB last year, I was rubbish to start with but feeling more confident since coming back. Took the Wot out last Wednesday, it was on my 6EXP 2.4 and Mick and Bill trimmed it out. Then we attached buddy box, a 6EXP 35mgc, which I had been told was kosher, but nothingsad. So I have swapped the 2.4 back to 35 in the model. Works OK on the bench, so ready for tomorrow, weather permitting .Any comments ? Got 54 flights out of my Arising Star when I started four years ago with 6 EXP 35 (brand new from LMS). After rekiitting it (forgot to extend aerial) I was given a Jumper. On flight number four, Tx's range failed with fatal results, positively diagnosed. More comments ? I picked up two used 6EXP 35's at the swapmeet. Both seemed 100%. However, when trying to bond the leccy motor in my Windy, with the one, nothing happened, but the other produced the goods. Then I tried the suspect one with my Simulator on the PC, again no joy. even more comment welcome.

I should say, I was an aeromodeller from a very early age but never flew RC. Took thirty years off but started again when I was 75. Problem is I have severe arthritis in my knees and now have to fly seated. My Club insists I am always on buddy box and there is not always someone prepared to fly with me Finally, I have both the time and the inclination to scratch build for it's own sake. In certain ways I am not as skilful as I used to be especially on finish. I only use film. But I have been creative all my life. Apart from my professional career as a handicraft teacher, my hobbies during my sabbatical from aeromodelling were fine woodworking and furniture restoration and later painting and drawing to exhibition standards.

I pray for a reasonable summer and hope to avail myself of every opportunity to get to the field. Incidentally, I forecast a perfect day for flying on Tuesday. I have a hospital appointment at midday !!!

Cheers. Alan.

I voted 1-3 but actually none of my models is flyable (minor repairs)

I have been so busy in the last ten years that I rarely got the opportunity to fly.

If I ever pick up flying for earnest again I'll have to throw out all my batteries and probably quite a lot of other stuff too.

Pfff!!!

Jo Van Rafelghem

Edited By Jo Van Rafelghem on 01/06/2012 11:01:51

• 2 weeks later...

mmm ... I had to do a head count ... 11 flyable, 2 on the build, and 3 unopened kits

3 with DLE 111ccs petrol

1 with DLE 55cc petrol

1 with Mackay 30cc petrol

1 with a .52 nitro glow

the rest electric gliders and slopers

and yes I still have the hots for more, I just wish it would stop raining so i can actually go out and fly them before they become 'hangar queens' ....

oh ... so thats why my workshop feels like it's getting smaller !!! LOL

• 1 month later...

Ok Lets see.

1- 50 Size Heli

2- Micro Size Helis

1- 30cc being built

1- 30cc built but no hardware.. Not happy flying

1- 40 warbrird

1- Funtan 125

2- Biplanes

1- Crabon Z Yak

so all in all around 10 and counting .. LOL

My wife will kill me.. I keep on telling her i only have 3 and the rest is spare parts..

Fleet has been thinned (in retrospect I wish I hadn't) and ASP 61 powered H9 Pulse XT40, ASP 91 powered 75 sized Decathlon,electric GP Neuiport 11 and ST75 powered Revolver 70, and a few others, have all gone prior to mve back from USA.

Just just leaves me the following flying:

EFlite Advance 25 - Electric (hack)

1/6 scale Balsa USA Bristol M1c - Saito FA65

Hangar 9 Corsair 50 - ASP 91 FS (gets most of the flying time)

Pilot RC Yak 54 50E - Electric

Seagull Edge 540 V2 60 - RCGF 15cc Petrol

HK Eurofighter Typhoon EDF Foamie - Electric 64mm EDF

Just finishing my:

1/4 scale Balsa USA Nieuport 11 - RCGF 26cc Petrol (90% done)

HET Super Sniper 90mm EDF - electric (50% done, but may put to one side and start a Jepe Fast Foam jet instead)

Repairs or retrims:

Galaxy Magician - Electric - recovering and possible convert back to IC (FS)

TN Hurricane - only fuse built, lost remainder of CNC parts

GP DLG Glider - broken C/F tail boom.

TN Mosquito 46" - Not started.

• 1 year later...

When I voted on here I had just one flyable. I'm back to one again now, the same old modified Bixler foamie. But in between, I actually had 4 flyable at one time. A Veron Impala glider that I crashed several times before breaking the wing quite badly. A DIY aileron glider with a foam wing and carbon fuselage that went the same way. And my Easy Pigeon with DIY foam 2.5mtr wings which needs work to stop the tail slopping about. (actually, it needs so much weight in the nose that I'm thinking of putting the original 550 series motor back in it)

So, one then.laugh