2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Hi Ian.

My Dad scaled down the Wot 4 as well, he built 3. Called the 'Wot 3', they flew quite well apparently. We don't have them now, but we do have the plans Dad drew.

As for a Wot 4 mass build, it would be good to see people building variants, like bigger (Wot 5s!) and smaller (Wot 3s!) versions, and other variants. I think it would be great, and also teach people about drawing up plans as well as building.

Wot 4 mass build- commemorating an RC legend.

How's that for a title?!

CS

My second WOT 4 ended up in tree! The wing was shortened and made into a flying wing, I still have the 'WOTS LEFT' flying.

I don't think the WOT 4 idea would get much following, we all have one!

What we need is something that will be user friendly in most weather conditionssmile p, I can't think of anything off the top of my headwink 2

Rich

Hi,

wow you're all keen aren't you! Talking about next year already smile

Well in a couple of chats today at Greenacres we did float a few ideas and thoughts:

one idea we discussed revolved around the concept that while the mass build is about encouraging building it does push other projects out the way a bit. So the thought was it would be good if, for one year, would allow those that wanted to take a quicker route to take part whilst keeping the mass build aspect for those that wanted to go down that path. Really we'd like do something that had the following properties:

1. it could be participated in at every level from a full plan-based build to an ARTF.

2. it would be realatively "weather proof" simple and robust!

3. Was something different from a Webbit or Vintage.

4. Had a big "fun element"

5. Was cheap!

One possibility we talked about is to make "fun fighters" the theme. You could build from a plan, or a kit (Cambrian Fun Fighters, GWS etc). Or you could use one of the new Multiplex fun fighters off the self. So, a lot of people could take part at different levels and through different routes. We could even organise a "combat event" for those that felt brave enough!

What do folks think?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/06/2012 00:18:36

I like the Fun Fighter idea BEB, but perhaps we can keep the Vintage builds from this year to try again next year as well. We didn't really get the weather for them this time around? And the few that did fly were really nostalgic.

I have a Cambrian Spitfire Fun Fighter stil in the box. Do I have permission to leave off the rivet detailing please sir?

Cheers

Danny

Well my 2p for what its worth.

I've never involved myself in a mass build [though I seriously thought about the Webbit - and watched from the sidelines.] but clicked on the link thinking to myself: "Interesting... mass build... I might go for that."

However... I may own a few ARTF's and enjoy flying them, but I don't really reguard putting them together as 'building.' Lets face it, its assembling, and I'd struggle to see the point of a mass assemble. [Would sticking the stickers on a foamy acrowot count?]

It strikes me that here is an opportunity to encourage folks who have only ever assembled ARTF's to attempt the 'dark art' of actually building, which can only be good for the hobby in the long run. I do think the 'fun fighters' idea is a good one, but think it needs to be fairly well defined, in order to create a sense of it actually being a 'mass build.'

So... what about Cambrian funfighters? Looks like there is a sensible range available. [P51, Spit, Hurri and Me109] They are relatively cheap and seem accessable for new builders. Maybe a deal could be arranged.... Or maybe the folks at Cambrian might be persuaded to donate to charity for each kit sold? in respect of the build? I think that added something to the Webbit build, and creates a sense of doing something together.

hmm, what engines do I have spare? ST G90, ST G61, SC52, SC40, SC65FS, or a Cox PeeWee.

So could an SC40 be crowbar'd into a FunFighter? I think it would be Fun, but for how long?

How about biplanes? There are lots of kits, plans and ARTFs about. Anything from MiniPanics, Pitts, Stearmans, WW1 Scouts, Parkzone bind'n'flys - anything with lots of wings!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 25/06/2012 10:31:21

Re the Wot 4. Surely a mini Wot4 is a Webbit.

Yes there are or were plans for the Wot 4 with built up wings available on the Web, but I agree that it is a pretty poor tribute to Mr Foss to build his design without paying him!

Something different? How about a mass ebenezer, or "inspired by an ebenezer" build? **LINK**

Plummet

Looks like the Wot 4 mass build idea has gone down badly. sad

What if it was just the kit from Mr Foss (Mk 3 or Classic)?

The Funfighter idea is very good, but also on the Biplanes idea, what about this

This plane seems unheard of on this forum. It is utterly brilliant. My Dad had one for years, it was a brilliant flyer. It is quite a simple build, and at 38 inch span it is convenient. And pretty cheap!

I'm still hooked on a Wot 4 mass build though.

But a Jester one would also be fantastic! What do you think?

CS

Posted by Plummet on 25/06/2012 12:03:55:

Re the Wot 4. Surely a mini Wot4 is a Webbit.

Yes there are or were plans for the Wot 4 with built up wings available on the Web, but I agree that it is a pretty poor tribute to Mr Foss to build his design without paying him!

Something different? How about a mass ebenezer, or "inspired by an ebenezer" build? **LINK**

Plummet

Hi Plummet,

How about a motheneezer, hunterneezer, or sportzaneezer, (nearest the end of the row)

Oddments 25

My collection from a couple of years ago.

Neezer Collection

Or blend the idea's of the FF neezers with RC and the fun fighter idea; ie Spitzaneezer, Hurrineezer, Fockerneezer, Messerneezer, Mustaneezer.

The Westwings rubber powered kits do a useful range, just take the plan to the local copy shop and give the plan a blowup too something approaching 1 metre wing span.

Like my Hunterneezer, instead of using 1/4" sheet, I used a 1/8" sq spine sheeted with 1/16" sheet for a lightweight construction, with 3/16" sheet wings, carved and sanded.

We could just up the balsa section to about 3/8" to 1/2" Sq strip for the spine and sheet with 3/32" or 1/8" sheet. Just for the profile shape, either solid carved wings or built up it doesn't really matter, 3/16" tailplane and fin/rudder, 3 or 4 channel RC and a 20/25 ( or leccy equivalent) up front on suitable beech bearers. Jobs a good un. Simple, cheap and bags of fun.

I can feel an RC Spitzaneezer coming on teeth 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 25/06/2012 19:07:37

Edited By Big Bandit on 25/06/2012 19:09:03

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 25/06/2012 10:31:08:

hmm, what engines do I have spare? ST G90, ST G61, SC52, SC40, SC65FS, or a Cox PeeWee.

So could an SC40 be crowbar'd into a FunFighter? I think it would be Fun, but for how long?

Hi Bob, great to meet up and chat at the weekend, your King Altair is awsome, in fact all of your models are thumbs up. I think a G90 in a 1 metre fun fighter would be a bit too quick teeth 2, maybe chase Andy's hotliners around wink 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Alright, forget about the Wot 4 mass buildcrying Shame, I was thinking of doing a Danny Fenton and trying to build one and cover it in a day. No point if no-one else is building them.

But something has got to be done for the plane's 30th anniversary. Perhaps next year at Greenacres everyone who has one should bring it, and have them fly (not necessarily at the same time- bad idea!). Or maybe a magazine article next year at some point.

But what about the Jester? Here's the link if you missed it. How this plane has gone by with so little people knowing about it I don't know.

CS (no.1 shocked and sad dept)

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 25/06/2012 19:49:00

Posted by Anthony Billings on 25/06/2012 19:53:25:

If we are on about something that is quick and easy to build so as to encourage others to take the first step into building, then what about something that is nearly all slab and sheet balsa ie solid wings and tail, sheet fuse and such, they must be pretty quick and easy to put together.

Tony

Wot 4? NO I must stop myself!

Finally! My Dad had so much fun with his Jester. It was our best model alongside the Wot 4, and that's saying something! The only reason we don't have it now is because it got so much use.

It is also a pretty simple build. Someone on this forum has the kit, so go to the thread 'Pegasus Models Jester - Hints/Tips? or just type Jester in the search box and click on that thread. I'm sure he'll answer questions as will I. 

Who else is interested in a Jester mass build?

CS

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 25/06/2012 21:07:00

I quite like the funfighter idea for a mass participation event, building for the builders, assembling for those who just can't afford the time and get together for those that can make it.

I also really liked the idea of anything from an RCM&E free plan. I think that would really encourage first time builders, especially with such a range, from the simple to build Nigel Hawes Tucano, Hawk, Fizza and Whizza etc. Through Tim Hoopers lovely looking Courier, Clean Sweep, Speedtwin etc. To Peter Miller's bigger designs and the excellent Nijuis range. Of course there are many many more to choose from too, with parts available for many of them.

I squadron of RCM&E designs would be perfect at an RCM&E event too.

CS Views on the Jester - yep I really like the look of it, and it sounds a great model to own.

Personally though, I think we should come up with something that gives everyone some choice, which will depend on their own preference, funds, skill level and time available.

One big asset that we have here is the help available, so I think folk should choose something that will challenge them a little too. (Yep the Jester will do that for some people)

Others may not agree though, the debate has certainly started with plenty of time in hand for discussion to continue.

Hmmm. Tough choice. The Funfighters look tempting. I like the Jester. There is a lot of scope. I better stop and get started on my Domino Bipe! Need to get the Extra done and out of the way, then start on my Domino, otherwise the Saito 62a will never get off the ground! Galaxy Domino build log coming soon...

CS (no 1 need to forget about mass build and build what I already have and then worry about mass build dept!)