2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Posted by GrahamC on 25/06/2012 22:47:57:

Speaking of the Domino which has been mentioned a few times here... A very odd special offer at present - you save a whopping £-67 [yes it says minus sixty seven pounds off] on the normal price of £0 making it £67 at present. I think I might wait until the price returns to normal!

Ha ha! The website has gone a bit funny there. It is actually a saving from £75 so that is £8 saving, not £-67! I got mine from the store earlier this year for £75. Knew I should have waited!

CS

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 26/06/2012 08:01:01:
Posted by GrahamC on 25/06/2012 22:47:57:

Speaking of the Domino which has been mentioned a few times here... A very odd special offer at present - you save a whopping £-67 [yes it says minus sixty seven pounds off] on the normal price of £0 making it £67 at present. I think I might wait until the price returns to normal!

Ha ha! The website has gone a bit funny there. It is actually a saving from £75 so that is £8 saving, not £-67! I got mine from the store earlier this year for £75. Knew I should have waited!

CS

I quite fancy that - even at the special inflated price...I have a spare 46 that willprobably fit quite nicely...

Martyn

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/06/2012 09:39:27:
Posted by Martyn K on 26/06/2012 09:11:42:just recognise the spirit of the theme (wingspan less than say 50" (1300mm))?

Martyn

so does that mean I can't just slap some paint on my MPX Dogfighter and call it a Spiteful then?

TBH, I don't think it really matters. Those that want to build will build (whether from scratch, plan, kit or whatever) and those that assemble will do so. At then end of the day, it would be simply amazing to see a mass (just what is the collecctive name for a congregation of model aircraft?) of models of a common theme all converging at the same and at the same place.

Martyn

Posted by Martyn K on 26/06/2012 09:11:42:

A Fun fighter theme is OK with me, providing I can design my own....

Does that mean thet there needs to be some boundaries defining or just recognise the spirit of the theme (wingspan less than say 50" (1300mm))?

Martyn

Hi Martin,

Great to meet up at the weekend, and the little Hog 25 is brilliant just has to be built. Ian's vampire does well, what a great weekend.

I agree there needs to be boundaries or a loose formula, Since a brief discussion with BEB, I was thinking along the lines of up to 48" span fun fighter, IC 20 / 25 or Electric equivalent (to keep costs down), can be plan, kit built, OD or ARTF for anyone who hasn't the time to build. Basically so as many people who want to be included irrespective of time to build, building ability, design ability, can do. If we can keep the cost down as well that's more of an incentive to take part.

Like BEB has said GWS, PZ, for the foamies, Cambrian Fun fighter kits (£69) at the mo. Or even as I have suggested earlier blow a rubber powered plan up and do your own thing with construction, (only cause I have a Spit 5 and an FW from Flair along with a few West wings, KK, Veron kits) wink 2. We could even include 50's to 80's EDF jets (GWS A4) £69 from Galaxy with fan and motor.

I would most likely go down the OD build route and probably include the PZ T28, F4U and Spit for fun.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted by FunnyFlyer on 26/06/2012 09:50:01:

Love the idea of a loose "Fun Fighter" type theme - maybe opening up to WW1 and WW2 types.

Brings in the Parkzone, Multiplex, FMS ARTF brands as well as kit and plan builders.

Hi FF,

Love the idea of including WW1 types.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 26/06/2012 17:44:44:

Hi Chris

We've got a Balsa craft FW190 which we bought years ago. It was already built, just not covered and no servos installed. It's 48 inch span and has a MDS 17 up front (seems very light- the plane that is). Would it count to just cover that and then make it airworthy?

CS

I dont see wht not, there are 2 aspects to this, there is the buildathon for the die hards but that cumulates with the fly-in where as far as I am conerned, the more the merrier.

Martyn

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 26/06/2012 17:44:44:

Hi Chris

We've got a Balsa craft FW190 which we bought years ago. It was already built, just not covered and no servos installed. It's 48 inch span and has a MDS 17 up front (seems very light- the plane that is). Would it count to just cover that and then make it airworthy?

CS

Hey CS, Cant see why not as long as it's airworthy wink 2 ie reliable motor, airframe, and RC gear. I might just get the Spit 5 blown to 48" and do a bit of combat, but somehow think I'd get well and trully flamed sad.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Big Bandit on 26/06/2012 17:50:59:

Hey CS, Cant see why not as long as it's airworthy wink 2 ie reliable motor, airframe, and RC gear. I might just get the Spit 5 blown to 48" and do a bit of combat, but somehow think I'd get well and trully flamed sad.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris

Only if you oak it in petrol first.... and yes - it was great to meet up on Sunday. I am already looking forward to the next one.

BEB - is it time for a poll? Do we have enough suggestions yet? the nights are getting shorter - lets get building

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 26/06/2012 17:53:18

BEB - is it time for a poll? Do we have enough suggestions yet? the nights are getting shorter - lets get building

Martyn

I think it is. If we want people to build, then newcomers may take a little longer. And flying time will start to reduce come the cold, dark days of Autumn and Winter. I am 80% sure Funfighters will win.

CS

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a chat with BEB about this. we have come to a consenus that we will call a vote in early September. This will give you time to get your vintage models out of the way, get some flying and maintenance done and by September, the evenings will be noticeably shorter (and hopefully drier).

However, don't let me stop you thinking... any other ideas for a poll are welcome.. so far we have

• Club 25 themed models (or electric equivalent)
  • Retro (70's and 80's)
  • RCM&E free plans
  • Fun fighters (any generation)
  • WOT 4 (although there may be some commercial issues with this..)
  • Suggestions for other single kit based designs although sadly, the Galaxy kits are probably discounted now.

Thinking heads on... any more ideas?

Martyn

I might well go for any of the options excpet the WOT4. I've flown a few and enjoyed them but I don't want one myself.

My favourite would be the RCM&E free plans - readily available if you don't have them already, often there's a wood pack etc. if anyone wants one and some of the builds are really easy, some more involved. Short of ARTF which this is not about ther seems to be something for everyone.

I've already pinned my colours to the mast, I'm building a Cuarre. Now if the forum select Retro or RCM&E plans I'm OK, otherwise I'll be building in isolation.

To be honest with a couple of noticable exceptions not many buildt last years mass build, so I'm somewhat dis heartened with the idea at the moment. So am haappy to go my own way this time.

Andy