2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

I have a YT Miss America which is I think 3Lbs. It did have an old AXi motor in it which I pushed too hard until magnets came loose. It went very well.

I've put a new motor in it which is doing about 450W so I'll let you know how it goes. It's not been tested yet.
The big issue with these is getting them away from a handlaunch and missing the ground. Once away they fly really nicely, it's just getting that first bit of speed that's a bit of a problem.

Back to the mass build, I can't help remembering that the whole point originally was to encourage and help those that hadn't built before. For may of us to build something the same or similar so we could help each other out with the build.
Flying together was an added bonus for a few, but not the reason for doing it.

I wonder if we should separate out a building together theme to help those who would like to have their first go, but also have a "lets all get something similar to fly" theme separately. Just a thought.

Back to the mass build, I can't help remembering that the whole point originally was to encourage and help those that hadn't built before. For may of us to build something the same or similar so we could help each other out with the build.

Flying together was an added bonus for a few, but not the reason for doing it.

I wonder if we should separate out a building together theme to help those who would like to have their first go, but also have a "lets all get something similar to fly" theme separately. Just a thought.

That sounds more like it. The newbie builders will need something simple for their first build, and a plane which will satisfy, like Peter Miller's Harlequin.

CS

Think your right Bob, it'll need more than 350 watts to be fun, I've still got the unbuilt Tucano which is about the same size as the Tiffy in the loft . There's a 500Watt inrunner waiting to power that one. For a 4lb ww2 fighter I'd be looking at 600Watts for a starting figure.

I'm toying over the idea of a 25 powered pattern model, think I'll look at the RCM&E plans site again.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/07/2012 17:11:23:

Not sure how "pattern" you'd like Chris? But a Whizza could fit the bill?

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/07/2012 17:15:58

That looks very nice - it looks like the bias is moving to club 25 aerobats

However, that can't be used, it has blue sky and we dont do that any more.

Martyn (at a very wet campsite at Aberystwyth)

For what it's worth, we can set the 'rules' - guidelines may be a better description - as we see fit in a nice democratic manner. Hopefully, the guidelines will change every year.

My thoughts are that for this to be successful it has to attract as many punters as possible. As the RTFers and ARTFes outnumber the builders by a huge amount we really need to make it attractive to them and hopefully as a result, they will see the light and join the (self) righteous

Personally, I would like to be able to scratch design and build - that is why the funfighter and Club 25 ideas appeal to me, I am not restricted to anyone elses design. However, if the choice is RCM&E plans then I will find one - possibly a Miller acrobat sport design but I will worry about it when the vote has been cast.

No matter what, I am looking forward to the next one.

PS - at the moment I am catching up and building my 2011 WeBBit mass build model. As this has been done to death on this forum, I probably wont be creating a build blog on this here but will be doing so on my own website.

Take care all

Martyn

Hi BBC

Well at the moment its on my own website which is a tad experimental at the moment

I'll transfer it over here in the next few days. It wont go in the 2011 Charity build forum as I think that should be locked for prosperity now. Apart from that, it will relegate Steve Webbs excellent summary post.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I have fond memories of Abberystwyth, mainly thrashing a Yamaha RD250 around with the missus on the back teeth 2.

At the moment I'm just toying with ideas, it must be to do with the persistent rain. The Club 25 thing appeals to me as it doesn't have to cost a sizable wedge to get something together. At the same time I'm mind full that we need to encourage people to have a go at building so simple designs are probably best without being too simple so theres a skill development path without going over the top. BBC has raised the question along with Chris Bott that part of the build idea is to help others who want to have a go and to share skills and ideas, which I'm definitely up for (he says thinking about the dodgy covering on the Jumper 25 wings).

So the fun fighter route looks achievable on cost and design simplicity. Kits, Plans, Od's are all valuable.

Club 25 looks like it may have merits, and could include any of the fun fighter designs and open up the debate on options to pattern models and semi scale with familiar designers and forumites.

As for .25 IC power what would we be looking at for electric equivalents. What would a Club 25 be expected to weigh, Bob's already looking at his Tiffy with a view to electric set up. I'm only asking because if the answer is 500 watts I've already got a power train and the Tucano's coming down from the loft, but I'm still up for a build.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 06/07/2012 20:24:37

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 06/07/2012 18:04:29:

@Big bandit, are we looking at sport plus, extreme sport ,sunday sport? what is your genuine opinion for this, i know electric is major but ic should still be there too. 25 size all round would be affordable.

cheers bbc.

Hi BBC,

As we are looking to include as many people as possible who may want to build, Club 25 or Fun fighter looks very attractive to me without excluding those who may just want to fly ARTF's or RTF's at the fly in. IC or electric, fun fighter or Club 25 in the end we are a democratic lot and everyone has the option to have a go or not. I know at the moment I'm up and down like Zeberdy on speed. Later in the year we'll vote, which to me is the way to go. At the moment I'm just flogging idea's around teeth 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Dont lets get carried away lads. One of BeB's criteria was "cheap", perhaps rightly so in this credit crunch time. Looked at some plans mentioned, cost £12.50. canopy £12.50. and with covering about the same price/ roll, we are nearing £40 before we have bought any wood. I quite like the slab sided fus/wings, and tail idea, fits into my budget well, LoL, but then we are all differant. Cheers FB3

Posted by fly boy3 on 06/07/2012 20:28:48:

Dont lets get carried away lads. One of BeB's criteria was "cheap", perhaps rightly so in this credit crunch time. Looked at some plans mentioned, cost £12.50. canopy £12.50. and with covering about the same price/ roll, we are nearing £40 before we have bought any wood. I quite like the slab sided fus/wings, and tail idea, fits into my budget well, LoL, but then we are all differant. Cheers FB3

Hi FB3,

I'm all for the blown pop bottle canopy and cowlings, even add a bit off bling depending on what you drink, saves £12.50 for wood or covering. I'm being careful now I'm nearly a pensioner wink 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Big Bandit on 06/07/2012 19:47:54:

As for .25 IC power what would we be looking at for electric equivalents. What would a Club 25 be expected to weigh, Bob's already looking at his Tiffy with a view to electric set up. I'm only asking because if the answer is 500 watts I've already got a power train and the Tucano's coming down from the loft, but I'm still up for a build.

Edited By Big Bandit on 06/07/2012 20:24:37

Hi Chris

Sun shining now Too windy to fly though

My AstroHog 25 weighs 3lbs give or take a couple of oz. It's a nice round number - alternative would be 1.5kg.

Regards

Martyn