2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Hi Martyn,

I think the two ideas got lost in the ether wink 2. I'm just getting over the week end. Saturday mowing the daughters lawn in Leeds and it has a good slope, 4 times, and she wanted stripes in the finished cut, I had to drive 200 (inclusive) miles to do it, Sunday displaying models at my clubs do in Barrow on Soar with a bit of indoor chucked in. Great fun until the wind got under the gazebo sad, then it tipped it down and all of the models got very wet face 14. The indoor wasn't bad, at least had some flying with the Night Vapor, then I tried the Hobby Zone Spit (which I brought on Saturday after mowing the lawn in Leeds) and is supposed to be for indoor (fancied a bit of indoor hot dogin) teeth 2. We need a sports hall at least a 100' wider and 50' higher. Suppose I could always build an indoor fun fighter and use the 2.4 gear that came with it teeth 2.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting impatient and I want to plan my winter project! So is it a time to maybe do a poll now, with these catergories...

• Club 25- Planes with a 25 two stroke (or 30 four stroke) or electric equivalent
  • Fun fighters- any generation
  • RCM&E free plans- any of these
  • Retro- 70's and 80's type models
  • Now that we can, Galaxy Kits! (My personal favourite)
  • Concordes (Not really, just joking!)

If I have missed any, please say.

And another idea, Big Bandit was very involved and enthusiastic about the mass build, just look at all his posts. After the awful news, could all planes in the Mass build, whatever it is, be enscribed with 'BB' or his initials as a tribute?

CS

CSB, I have helped to organise the last two Mass Build projects - I think it is far too early to start yet - we will not be able to maintain the momentum and the actual building will become too spread over too long a period and it won't have the sort of "atmosphere" of everyone doing something together.

Both previous builds were launched over the period between Christmas and New year, that gives 6 months. You also have to remember that lots of folks have only just finished last years model, if they have to get involved with another build now it will get in the way of their other projects and they may simply decide they don't have time.

I think it would be best to stick with the previous schedule. You'll just have to be a bit patient! wink 2

BEB

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 16/08/2012 16:31:01:

Think I may make a chuck glider Concorde at some point, need something to build while the Domino is setting (as it is at the moment). Still got to do a 4 page essay on animal farm.angryangry 2angryangry 2

CS

Dead simple - it was the pigs what done it, the moral of the story, never trust a pig.

Martyn (in Austria and not flying )

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/08/2012 21:02:57:

All animals are equal - but some are more equal than others!

Four wings good, two wings bad! The bipe fan's version of animal farm!

BEB

Ha ha, fantastic!!! I like Bipes as well, hence the Domino build!

David, a Biplane mass build has been suggested, you can add that to the list, I like it!

CS

'All pilots are equal- but some are more equal than others!'

I'm refraining from making any suggestions about the next mass build as I will not be able to take part! crying

Too much happening already with moving houses, planning a wedding and a honeymoon that will happen over the RCM&E Greenacres Flyin!!

I will however watch with interest from a distance!!

Dave

Posted by David Gilder on 17/08/2012 22:47:10:

I'm refraining from making any suggestions about the next mass build as I will not be able to take part! crying

Too much happening already with moving houses, planning a wedding and a honeymoon that will happen over the RCM&E Greenacres Flyin!!

I will however watch with interest from a distance!!

Dave

That's extraordinarily bad planning that Mr Glider - I'm most surprised at you!

BEB

Last year I was going to build but life just got in the way and although I was disappointed I wasn't too disappointed as, although I haven't built anything from plans/kit I would say I am a reasonable pilot and the models that were simple to build appeared to not challenge my flying.

perhaps whatever category we end up with we could consider guys like myself? Maybe even a list of a couple of models that are easy builds but challenging to fly. Might suck me in a bit more then.

Chris

Posted by Pete B on 17/08/2012 23:28:55:

Anyway, BEB, whilst I've got used to the occasional Erflog, what's with your Mr Glider or was it just a Freudian slip???...........wink 2teeth 2

Pete

LOL! Definitely!

I just do it to keep you on your toes Pete! Actually, as regards spelling, I'm a supporter of the Eric Morecambe school - all the right letters, but not necessarily in the right order!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/08/2012 10:30:40

• 1 month later...

Looks like we have a shiny new Forum - better start using it.

It is exactly 1 year and 2 days since BEB kicked off the 2012 Vintage Forum Mass build "time to sign up" thread, so we are now behind as we haven't even decided on a theme.

So far, we have had a few suggestions:

1. Club 25 - 20 to 25 2Stroke or 30ish 4Stroke or electric equivalent. Weight about 3lbs or 1.5kg in new money. Quite a few options available but this would fit well with Alex Whittakers Club 25 idea.

2. Retro. The Golden age of 27MHz Proportional Radio. 70's and early 80's There are hundreds of options here in the form of plans and kits (many of which are still available) and this also encomasses the Retro Pattern models that are now coming back into vogue.

3. Fun fighter. Simple semi scale fighters of about 45" span. Either kits (eg Cambrian), plans or draw up your own. One bonus from this is that there is some interest from the foamie RTFers who would also like to join in for the Greenacres mass fly in - but of course there is nothing stopping that from happening anyway. (may have to lift the 6 up at once restriction).

4. AutoGyros - can't comment on this as I know nothing about them
5. WOT4 -single type build
6. Kamco Kavalier. - single type build
Not sure if I have missed anything - any further suggestions? Please keep on topic so I dont miss any good ideas.
I'll call a vote in a couple of weeks time if suggestions dry up.
Martyn

Galaxy kits is one Martyn, we can do them now thanks to MHS! My Domino is going so slowly I could use that! And Biplanes and Concordes (sorry!cheeky)

Not sure if BEB wants to leave it till later, so others can finish their vintage ones. The Wot 4 idea was pretty much ruled out earlier because everyone has them anyway (it was my idea though, but nobody liked it, fair enough)

What does BEB think, time for a vote?

CS

Hi Chris

I agree, we need to get a consensus and let everyone "air" (no pun intended), their preferences and probably most importantly their prejudices

I think the usual issues will be cost and complexity, we really should try and set a reasonable budget - especially as we are trying to attract new builders into the fold. The ability to choose something simple is paramount.

Martyn

Posted by Martyn K on 20/09/2012 22:27:46:

Hi Chris

I agree, we need to get a consensus and let everyone "air" (no pun intended), their preferences and probably most importantly their prejudices

I think the usual issues will be cost and complexity, we really should try and set a reasonable budget - especially as we are trying to attract new builders into the fold. The ability to choose something simple is paramount.

Martyn

Galaxy kits?cheeky Certainly cheap! Could also include the Pegasus models kits, they have some of Galaxy's and lots of others.

CS

Before we do anything Martyn I think we need to revisit what the mass build is all about.

Originally the whole overriding point was for us to encourage those that had thought about building to actually take the plunge and have a go.

To do this, in 2011 we all built the same model, the Webbit. This gave a sense of building together. Those less confident could see what others were doing and ask questions.

In 2012, we had a theme, but many people built different models. This was fine, except it seemed to exclude those that just wanted to dip their toe in the water and build, along with lots of others, their very first model.

So, I'm just wondering if we should be going back to the roots of the project and choose something simple, cheap and practical, and all build the same.

Of course those that have joined in for both years will probably want to move on to slightly more challenging models. Here maybe they should build what they want but document it in case anyone wants to follow.

Hi Guys,

sorry not been about much today - its the "day job" getting in the way!

OK, you're all obviously dead keen to get on and as the summer is over (or it seems to be round here anyway!) so lets get going.

Now we need to do this really carefully - I suggest we leave this thread open for general chat and we open a new one for actual proposal of models. That way we keep everything nice and clear! Propose a model on there talk about it here!

I'll open that now!

BEB