2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

As I've probably mentioned earlier I'll have a go at anything which is decided upon. I thought the suggestion of building from a free plan, one that has a woodpack available, is a great idea I'm coming round to the Galaxy Gazelle as my choice. The middle one in the range would fit in nicely with where I am in flying at present.

I'll need to get a motor for it, though. wink

Ian

My first thought is that a single model build will exclude a lot of folk on grounds of differing tastes, for that reason I'd suggest something more like the funfighter theme. The WW2 models would all feature similar construction so general build tips would apply across the board, while for those seeking something different there are lots of options for .20-.30 size WW1 warbirds - Sopwith Swallow, Tripe, 1 1/2 Strutter, Pup, Neiuport 24, Fokker D7 and 8 are all available as plans or kits. Again, structural and finishing techniques will be similar for most of these.

I'd be well up for a Retro theme, I've been holding a Blue Angel kit back just in case, but I think that may have limited appeal. Or a general Warbirds bash as I'm covered by way of a couple of TF 60 size kits and a Galaxy Tiffie funfighter.

Single designer - it would really have to be Pete Miller from plans or Boddo from kits or plans. Foss kits would price some people out of the market as they are not cheap and can't be bought a bit at a time as a plan build can.

Nigel Hawes Tucano

• Easy build with a flat sheet wing
  • Easy to fly
  • Huge range of real life liveries
  • Can be modified by the more experinced builder - even to cross the channel (Dunkirk Spirit Pt.1)
  • Inexpensive in it's basic form - spend as much as you like after that

We could all end up with a record breaking model, perhaps there's a record we could all go for?

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/09/2012 09:57:24

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/09/2012 09:58:49

Difficult choice.....as Mr Bott points out the idea of a mass build is to a) have lots of people building the same model & b) to encourage the non-builders to have a go.

This throws up another issue in that the model needs to have wide appeal so people WANT to build it. It also needs to be easy enough to tempt the non builders to have a go & challenging enough so the more experienced modeller will want to build one. If it could be powered by IC or Electric then this also would be a bonus & widen its appeal still further....thumbs up

As it is an RCM&E "event" then I think would be a nice touch if it could be one of the RCM&E free plans....it kind of fits the whole ethos really...

So...in summary then the model needs to be...

a) Simple enough to tempt beginners

b) Challenging enough (or have enough "modification possibilities" to tempt experienced builders

c) IC or Electric

d) RCM&E Free plan (IMHO)

H'mmmmm.....should be easy enough to find something that meets those criteria.....crook

As one who has found the mass builds very enjoyable and inspiring, although I have not made it Greenacres to meet you all yet, This is my offer.

Two seperate sections. The first, a beginners build section of the same model. I am going to suggest Alex Whittaker's "Bushwacker". Not only is it a RCM&E free plan but a kit is available, so it is in a similar spirit to the Webbit build.

For us others who love to chat on the forum, anything goes as long as we share our experiences and it is scratch built.

Cheers. Alan.

Posted by Ian Jones on 21/09/2012 09:56:10:

Nigel Hawes Tucano

• Easy build with a flat sheet wing
  • Easy to fly
  • Huge range of real life liveries
  • Can be modified by the more experinced builder - even to cross the channel (Dunkirk Spirit Pt.1)
  • Inexpensive in it's basic form - spend as much as you like after that

We could all end up with a record breaking model, perhaps there's a record we could all go for?

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/09/2012 09:57:24

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/09/2012 09:58:49

Posted by Martyn K on 21/09/2012 09:59:11:

mmm

That would also go well with .20 I would imagine.

I wouldn't object to that.

Martyn

Well it seems to tick all the boxes. I've probably still got the May 2003 RCM&E with the plan in!

I would be going I.C. too Martyn, probably a 25 but I'd have to look into the size needed.

I'm finding this idea more and more appealing.

Edited By Ian Jones on 21/09/2012 11:29:58

Being a newbie with an ARTF trainer I have been thinking about a proper build to keep me occupied over the winter months so this mass build sounds very appealing to me. I like the idea of a funfighter, something to build and have ready for when I'm able to fly it in the future. I like the look of the Cambrian kits which would suit me as I don't feel ready to build from a plan yet......just my thoughts

Dale.

Just a note on organisation this year: Two forumites have joined the organising team to help me keep everything on track:

MartynK - at the moment looking after the Proposal thread

ConcordeSpeedBird - Keeping a tally of proposals!

BEB (sipping a G&T with his feet up having put Martin and CSB to work wink 2 - only joking lads!)

Posted by Dale Gibson on 21/09/2012 17:29:32:

Being a newbie with an ARTF trainer I have been thinking about a proper build to keep me occupied over the winter months so this mass build sounds very appealing to me. I like the idea of a funfighter, something to build and have ready for when I'm able to fly it in the future. I like the look of the Cambrian kits which would suit me as I don't feel ready to build from a plan yet......just my thoughts

Dale.

Dale, if you want to vote for Funfighters then please do so here.

CS (Tally dept!)