2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Not in any way speaking "officially", just my personal opinion here! But if we did go with something like the Tucano which is a former RCM&E plan - and it was the selection, so ensuring a reasonable number of sales, I think we could look at asking MyHobbyStore about producing a woodpack. So what I'm saying is I wouldn't let that factor alone necessarily put you off.

Personally I quite like the Tucano and think it could be a good choice. It certainly meets all the criteria. I know its designed for electric, but I suspect an IC conversion wouldn't be a big challenge - we'd have to look at the plan.

BEB

Looks very nice, impressive that it crossed the channel, but an IC conversion may be quite tricky with the narrow fuselage (but I can not fully clarify that because I have not seen the plan). It could be the one though if it comes out on top when we do a vote!

So far there are 17 different suggestions, with a wide range of ideas.smiley Keep them coming!

CS

Yes I think the Whizza is another model that fits the bill well. Easy to build, cheap, flys very well.

Initially I was keen on a funflghter, but I've been thinking about it more. The problem is they're not that easy to build. OK many have veneered foam wings and that's a big plus, but they also often have quite complex compound curves which makes covering a challenge for a beginner. Also colour schemes - while very sexy - can again be complex. The final point against them, for this I think, is many have high wing loadings - so they're very fast, not an easy hand launch and really not the best choice for a flyer with a low level of experience.

What I think would be better would be the sort of model that, with moderate power and the throws turned down, is "user-friendly" but once they're cranked up and its given a hotter power train can amuse the more "accomplished"

BEB

Good points there BEB.

That also highlights the appeal of something like a Galaxy kits mass build, since there is something for all like the Gazelle as a nice trainer, Wizard or Magician as good cheap sports planes and for those who want more of a build the Domino is there, as well as the Chipmunk and Mustang (although I can't see the Stang on the site at the moment) for those who want scale. The only hitch is that they are all designed for IC, but Electric conversions should be pretty easy (especially with help from the forum).

Oh, and Jeff, the Domino is a biplane!

That's my opinion anyway.smiley

CS

Have to say the Whizzer or the Tucano look like nice choices. I'm also very interested in the occasionally hinted at canard Nigel has in the works, any idea when that would be published?

BEB, couldn't agree more about the fun fighters, heavy wing loading and fast flying in my experience and not ideal for a first or second model. Having said that I am biased because I built one in spring, so I have a vested interest in something else being chosen for this years mass build, ahem

r.

Again neither of these interested me when they first appeared as have not the Galaxy ones over the last thirty odd years they have been around (apart from the gazelle/sorcerer as a retro build ) but a free choice on a NH,DB TN,TH etc would give that much more scope

It was meant as a tongue in cheek(y) comment BEB !blush

Is simply "retro" a bit vague? Last year we did a wide "theme" - ie vintage models. In the end it made picking a model (or even a group of models) everyone could get behind impossible! Which I thought was a bit of a pity and detracted from the experience a little. It certainly failed to encourage many new builders nor did it produce a larger participation - we had about the same number as the year before when it was just one model that everyone built.

BEB

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 21/09/2012 21:45:25:

Looks very nice, impressive that it crossed the channel, but an IC conversion may be quite tricky with the narrow fuselage (but I can not fully clarify that because I have not seen the plan). It could be the one though if it comes out on top when we do a vote!

So far there are 17 different suggestions, with a wide range of ideas.smiley Keep them coming!

CS

Could be a good point but I suspect that if the Whizza can take an I.C. then the Tucano probably can too. A look at the plans is called for I agree and I'll see if I can find mine after the weekend (I'm doing a static display at the Middlewich Wartime Weekend so I'm pretty busy at this moment).

Whizza or Tucano ar my favourite suggestions at the moment though I do prefer my aeroplanes to be some sort of representation of a full size aircraft hence my suggestion for the Tuc.

I've only flow a Cambrian Spit once, very nice it was too but it's true that it could catch a novice out.

To be honest the crunch smile o wink 2 factor for me would be speed of build, as taking part in the mass build will have to be as well as everything else I have planned for next year not instead of anything. I want to be involved so that's my plea - whatever it is, make it a quick 'un to to build.

Ian

well after much brain storming and deliberation at Anderson Aviation Co i think that the Nigel Hawes Tuccano would make a suitable model for all to have a go at.........simple/cheap to build and within the scope of everyone.....

ken anderson ne.1 .... change of plan dept.....

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/09/2012 18:12:02

I agree Ken, I think either the Tucano or the Whizza are the best proposals I've seen so far. Sheet wing, simple fuselage, low cost, fly well. Within everyone's compass.

But they do offer some scope to the more experienced in terms of; flying, colour schemes and even customised changes to the design. The question we need to bottom out is could they be done with IC? If so, one of them would get my vote. (When it comes to voting!)

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/09/2012 18:15:59

Of course Martyn, one of the benefits of, say, a Whizza or something similar is that as far as the more experienced builders are concerned is they have a choice:

1. They can muck about with the design; scale it up, fit a Vee tail, give the wings more sweep back - the scope is endless.

2. But if they already have a busy winter planned with a complex build they want to get on with then they can just "knock out" a bog-standard Whizza in a week - little loss of time on the main project. I know at least a couple of folks who have said that if this year's build is a long complex one they might not be able to do it because of other plans.

And of course we have all this and its fine for a first-time builder - not complicated, fast progress but covers all the basic skills.

BEB

The Whizza looks great. Although I would vote for Galaxy kits, primarily because I could submit my Domino because I can't start another project any time soon, too many planes as it is! And I like the Galaxy kits.

Martyn, I'm sure that would count, with the Webbits there were all sorts of modifications, including an autogyro one! And there is BEB comfirming that while I post!

CS

Thanks BEB.

I was probably joking although I have never actually seen a Whizza plan. My real contribution/change would be probably to build a built up wing, but keep it electric and use it as a winter hack for when the field is too rough for a proper IC powered take off.

Martyn

Hmmm, I like the look of both the Tucano and the Whizzza. I have no idea if the builds are similar or the "crash resistance" of either design wink

The Tucano seems good because it could be made to look "scale ish" with some detail or could be made with a very simple colour scheme by new buiders like me, and the wingspan is slightly larger (Ok only 2 inches).

I like the idea of the Whizzza as a tail dragger with an undercarriage for "proper" takeoffs, could the Tucano be built with a simple tricycle undercarriage?

The Whizzza certainly has details for building with a .25 IC up front, I guess the Tucano could also be modified by more experienced builders?

If this it the route taken I think I would be happy to give either build a go, I think they would cost about the same to build.

How about a choice of either build - they are both designed by Nigel Hawes.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 22/09/2012 19:40:21