Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan

Thanks everyone for your input. As a consequence I will test two options; one for a pair of 68mm fan and one for a single nose tractor. Fear not, i will be producing a spinner to match the true nose profile so in the air, it shouldn't notice too much. The twin pusher option I'm not so keen on but I will detail something at the jet pipes so a pair of in-runners can easily be mounted, should any one wish to try.....think i have covered all angles on that one now............just need that illusive thing called time now

Sign me up for the big one laugh

Blimey, only just starting out in RC and already I've got a list as long as my arm of future projects!

I'm currently working towards my A test with a Sky 40 trainer which I really enjoyed building and now flying.

For what it's worth, I think the EDF option will look so much better.

David.

As this is a model from a very reputable designer I would say it could be a shame to spoil / vary the deisgn too far from the full size so stick with the fans and do not convert to a pusher - the comments about the relative weight, hand launching and pusher props being "hungy for fingers" seem to reinforce this view.

I guess that there needs to be some rethink on how to take weight out of the design without compromising the required strength. Would it be too far fetched to try to get someone to do a proper finite stress model analysis of the current design to help identify where this could be done? Perhaps that could be a good undergraduate project for a local college / university that offers aeronautical engineering courses or perhaps someone in the forum could offer that service through their work contacts?

When I see lekky ducted fans I see massive jets outlets which completely alter the look of the thing, plus less thrust and lots of noise.

Small pusher props hidden away in the jet pipes seem more practical and preserve the line of the nose.

I think that it would be a popular model though

stu k

Hi Tony,

Love your work.

FWIW I scaled Graham’s plans down to 48nch span and used 6mm Depron for the wing and fuselage ribs and 1 mm ply for the root ribs/nacelle ribs. Skin is 3mm depron with ½ oz fibreglass and poly kote.
With the fans and ducts installed there’s a huge empty area in the wing root so as I was worried about strength, I made fibreglass fairings for the jet pipes

It has 4 AEO 30mm fans for 2s LiPos. It also has e-flite retracts!
I have it about ¾ finished and the weight is looking like it will be about 1600 – 1800 grm. For example the nose and canopy is 60 grm ready for paint.
if the weight stays as projected wing loading would be about 13oz/sq ft and there’s decent push from the donks (can't remember how much) so the thing should “fly” aerodynamically rather than by brute force.

that's my sixpence-worth, stick to the fans and try some depron

Good luck,

Alan

img_0068.jpg

Edited By BizJet Tech on 27/06/2012 23:32:47

Wow , I am so impresed with the inovation from my original model , I dont think I made a good -a - job and there are a lot of great model builders who can improve upon her . It was always screaming for someone to come along and do a really good job and am so pleased its sparked so much interest to produce other dimentions having new electric retracts and more powerful EDF s . Cant imagine trying to fly this design on four IC engins ? Fossel burning rubbish - eh .

Wayne has built her twice the size with 90mm fans to a cost now over 5 thousand pounds to your impresive dinky Vulcan with 30mm fans - would love to hear her go .

Knowing what I know now - maybe I would have designed it a bit smaller - about 50 in and four fans again and lighter . I had a good look at Tonys design with the 2 times 70 mm fans and it dosnt look too good under side with the fans bottoming out - but still a great jog and probably better than mine .

Hope I can see some of them flying at Barkston - on the evening electric slot free for all .

Thanks G

Excellent job Alan....I'm sure it will work as you clearly know what the target weight needs to be. With the light wing loading it should fly scale too...

As Graham said, the 68mm fans on mine do drop out the underside but I have accepted this model will have to have sufficient power to allow for the builder who always tend to build heavy. Form my years of experience designing a model and basing it on a marginal powered set will only cause failure for those builder who love to add detail (and weight)....so no disappointments I hope

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 18/09/2012 23:10:48:

They are on the stocks waiting for me to finish a new 1/5 scale Hurricane design. Once done I should be back on to it within a few weeks......

Ooo, Hurricane! Can't wait to see these Vulcans though, that bigger one will be one I may want to build in the future.

CS

PS. By the way, superb job on the Harvard, brilliant model and I love the scheme! Here's a full size one from Duxford...

Harvard

Yes Hugh, It is a scale up the smaller version. Gregg & John Veasy built the prototype one a couple of years ago and they loved the flying characterists so much that a proper production model was needed. Needless to say it needed to be more scale so it has scale tailplane build up, flaps, a bespoke set of retracts, F/G cowl, 3 part wings and a load more detail. TJD model will be promoting the model next year at the shows.......(now the Harvard is out the way)

Vulcans are next on the agenda after the Hurricane

Just a thought regarding the 48" span vulcan, would the losses be too great with a single, (much) larger fan in the fuselage with the inlet and, especially, the jet ducts carefully designed? YKWIM, smooth curves csa adjusted etc. The motor could have an extended shaft and hide underneath the cockpit away from the fan in an effort to reduce losses.

Edited By John Gibbs on 24/09/2012 15:47:23

• 8 months later...

A very successful test flight today on the No. 3 vulcan....the turbine powered version.

img_1960-1.jpg

powering up the Wren 100

img_1967-1.jpg

A vulcan take-off.....un-intensional but made a great photo. Only 3/4 throttle so the cheaper Wren 80 will easily power this beauty

img_1985-1.jpg

comming in for a low pass

img_2004-1.jpg

On finals....took three attemps as she was a little tail heavy so needed to slow her up. But what a peach......easier to fly than a high wing trainer.

The full-size may be destine for retirement but the VULCAN will live onyes

one happy bunnyface 1

Spec;

95" span

26lb AUW inc fuel

Wren 100......but would only need an 80