What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?

Just to expand on the options........smile

My other half is a flyer too! 
Great - I can spend and fly as much as I like  
Good - reasonable tollerance and understanding  
Not bad - but I need to be careful not to over-do things 
Restricted - I have to limit my activities  
Not good - I'm strictly monitored with reciprocal spending

Edited By David Ashby on 08/06/2012 11:11:30

I can go and fly as often as I want. I can't spend freely, got two young girls to bring up, but I am allowed a healthy budget. I guess I spend on my modelling what I used to spend on my motorbikes so it was just a case of spending on a different thing.

Andy

Budget is severely limited, but that applies to everything, not just modelling. Mrs Eck accompanies me to the field when she isn't working, takes some wonderful photos and helps out at Club Open Days. Lucky Me!

"Do You really need that radio?"

"Another plane?"

"why is it so expensive?"

... and many more. However, last time something changes and she even told me to buy some limited Cox or tools to service them... So the answer is "Good", but everything within the limits, as family life is more important...

I think I'm in the middle band - good. Generally she's pretty supportive. I think a lot of wives see flying model aeroplanes as quite a "harmless" hobby. After all we could be spending our money in the pub and chasing lose women - I think she sees models as the lesser of two evils. And there aren't many women about in the average flying club.

I do sometimes get the "what another plane" comment - but generally its OK. I do have to be a bit careful as she has definitely moved beyond "the red one" and "the blue one" stage. About two years ago I impulse bought an OS56FS, stuck it in a model and fired it up in the garden just to set up the needle etc. When I came in she said "When did you get the new 4 stroke?" I made a vague "What new 4 stroke" sort of regjoiner but she quickly put me in my place "I can tell - they make a different noise - the other 4 strokes are in the Chipmunk and the Pitts - this is new one". Since that day I've been very careful!

But as I say she's very good really - she (and the kids) are planning are coming to the Nats with me again this year - they say they love that weekend! I must be doing something right!

BEB

I can always point to the number of handbags and matching pairs of shoes the CiC has when the awkward subject of "how many models have you got?" comes up!

And the last time she saw me fly she said I had improved! She even congratulated me on passing the B test...I guess I am lucky.

My misses is ok but moans about buying stuff sometimes. She's off work on maternity leave so it's harder to hide things i buy now. Fortunately she has no interest in my hobby so i can escape to the flying club which is generally a wife free zone

I love the options...

'strictly monitored with reciprocal spending'... LOL.. Choke chain..!!

I'm a rare oddity on the board, in that i'm the SWMBO (still haven't figured that out)

Paul is, like me, good with his hands, but on a 'cupboard scale'.. He hasn't the patience for models.. We have loadsa tools together, but 99% of the model room is mine, and 99% of the garage is his.. Which suits..

He knows I go the the LMS and spend more than I admit to, but it's usually little bits I can hide..

New models do need prior warning, or teddies can be thrown depending on price, altho 'where the hell are you going to put it' sometime comes out too...

This is where building comes into it's own, as you can buy an innocent pile of wood / foam, and no-ones the wiser until it's too late..

Basically, he wouldn't stop me doing my hobby, and vica-versa.. He like's to see me happy, and not moaning, and after 18yrs together, we both appreciate that...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/06/2012 11:43:20:

she has definitely moved beyond "the red one" and "the blue one" stage.

I made a vague "What new 4 stroke" sort of regjoiner but she quickly put me in my place "I can tell - they make a different noise - the other 4 strokes are in the Chipmunk and the Pitts - this is new one". Since that day I've been very careful!

BEB

We're not all as green as we're cabbage looking..

That goes for all of you... Any 'out of the blue' help from the miss'es, is probably a sneaky 'stock check'... You've been warned.. !!

Luv

Secret agent Chrisie.. xx

Mrs L is generally pretty good, she doesn't complain if I get a new aeroplane and is happy to see the back of me on the occasions that I get out from under her feet and go to the flying field. Giving back the utility room to be a utility room, rather than a workbench was a good diplomatic move.

Just occasionally, if I push things a bit too far, like leaving lots of stuff just unloaded from the car all over the place, that might generate a negative comment .Still laughing at the reworked Battle of Britain line that she came up with the last time we invited her to the field " Nasty little shack full of dead flies"smiley

Posted by Major on 08/06/2012 11:07:07:

"Do You really need that radio?"

"Another plane?"

"why is it so expensive?"

... and many more. However, last time something changes and she even told me to buy some limited Cox or tools to service them... So the answer is "Good", but everything within the limits, as family life is more important...

Hey Tom - she has a point - what with you sending her out to work 7 days a week... wink 2

I've been with my wife since we were both 19 - some 30 years ago. Me and my best buddy used to be occasionally accompanied by the girls at the time.

But since we married over 25 years ago - it's just a case of respect and tolerance. My daughter's partner is an engineer - he's much more into them.