What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?

Posted by Graham Chadwick on 08/06/2012 15:04:31:

"Pack your bags if you are going to go on moaning!"

So she did,

And we are both much happier now.

Problem solved.

Thanks for the tip. Must try that one outwink

My trouble and strife thinks nothing of spending hundreds on clothes she never wears, shoes that are never worn and knick knacks for the house that have no discernible purpose. But that doesn't stop her sneering at me and my "toy" planesdisgust. I spend an afternoon soldering some connectors onto batteries and escs and that gives her carte blanche to storm out for a girl's night in revenge????

Sorry but why should we even care what they think? Do they ever stop and ask us what we think???????

Posted by Graham Chadwick on 08/06/2012 15:17:31:

If it was not moaning over the fling it was the brass banding or the motor bikes (plural), every man needs a hobby!

Women are so unreasonable.

Was the "fling" a slip of the typing finger for "flying", a probably quite justifiable reason for her to get a bit tetchy or a Freudian slip?

A couple of years ago I bought myself a 6-channel micro heli, which I test-flew in our garage. As I hovered it at about 5 ft, my wife thought it would be a huge joke to turn the garage lights off.
Amazingly we're still together, even after the barrage of intemperate language I hurled at her.

I Come into the Number Two on the poll, I am very lucky can virtualy spend and fly as much as i like on the hobby. A few years ago i spent £19.000 on a second hand flexwing microlight, So buying a few model planes is no problem.

She is a sound Lass very understanding and supportive, after 32 years being together i think she sort of knows the Weaz....

Weasel Very Lucky Department......NE66...teeth 2

I missed the question « Does your wife have a costlier hobby than you?”

Mine has… she loves and is expert with real sailboats. She can never quite understand how an “airlubber” like me seems to know how to set up sails quite well.

(Google “Arvel Gentry tufts” to answer that) If Arvel can apply fighter aircraft wing design from Douglas Aircraft to his ocean going sailboats I feel safe with my modest “model” ventures.

I should inform you that my wife considers balsa to be a worthy material and foam is not.

On the rating scale my wife is really happy to cut the grass while I balsa bash – definitely a keeper.

Happy balsa bashing smiley

Mark

FunnyFlyer

acctualy she works just 6 days per week, not 7... Boss says that everyone needs at least one day off during the week. But everything has its price - kids do not allow me to enter my workshop really, so everything moves on slooowly. I wish she just gives up this job, I start something and enjoy the hobby in normal way... And after few years I feel so stupid when SHE receives payslips....

It's been mentioned, but sometimes introducing "the better half" into the hobby might be a trap... My lady recognizes engines, props, planes, even the mags - by the quantity!

Edited By Major on 09/06/2012 00:00:19

As I use my real name in this forum, I'd just like to say that my wife is the most tolerant, patient, understanding and reasonable woman in the world.

I'd like to....

Actually, she puts up with my obsession pretty well but every so often I push the boundaries a bit too far and I'm left in no doubt that I need to pay her and the house a little more attention!

Well Im a family man so budget is limited. The mrs is good to a point when it comes to building in the house. Spending is ok on small things aka servos etc. A new model well that needs a bit more tact. The shoe and bag angle does not work as not her thing. However the cost of hair and nails every few months helps win the new plane.

She is very good, comes down the club and supports me.

I think SWMBO means 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' but I saw SWIMBO on here which had me puzzled, probably a typo. Back to the thread, my wife is not at all interested in model flying but she does tolerate it as long as I don't spend too much too often or want to go flying when she's arranged a family get together etc. Probably she's glad that I'm not a gambler, alcoholic, smoker or chasing other women. I'd vote 'Not Bad'.

Very tolerant, visited the field first time in 18 years and the only comment was, still the same cowboy???......i thought i was a better cowboy!

I work 14 hours a day in my own business, am fortunate to have a good income and a hobby budget i am never able to spend. Its the time i spend on family/hobby that i consider the most important thing to get right.There has been many a time i would have liked to finish off a model, but gone for a walk on the beach instead.

I have always considered it to be a selfish hobby if not balanced correctly

* Whistling smugly*............

My partner, Netty, has taken up the hobby in the last few years as many of you know. She builds and flies her own fleet of models (9 as of now), and passed her A test a couple of years ago.

Additionally, she's a massive source of encouragement in my own modelling projects.

Nobody said life was easy...wink 2