What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?

My wife used to come out and watch me flying but gave up after I had a lightweight glider totalled in a mid-air by an aerobatic model which had 2 minor dents. Her nerves couldn't stand waiting on the next mid-air. I declined her instructions to punch the other flier and get my money back!!

My wife thinks I have 20 model planes in the loft but in reality there is over 30 some donkeys years old!

I usually sneak into my garage to carry out covert modelling, the only time i have worked indoors recently was when I covered my Super 60 fuselage with Oratex during the winter before last. My excuse was that the covering exercise was no different to her 'doing the ironing'.

She has always 'had it in' for planes,her dad was a squadron leader at RAF Wittering during the war---I never met him.

MJE

I went for Not Bad. I can usually get an hour or so building of an evening while the soaps are on and I’m probably more conscious about over spending than the wife. It’s the flying time I miss but that’s more down to a young family and so Sunny Sundays were out and about, not at the field with the others at the club. I tend to get my flying in on a Saturday morning of after work in the week, at least we don’t have restriction on flying times.

My wife is a Golfer and cannot understand why any one would want to fly models when they could go golfing.

Then again, she limits her spending on equipment, she tells me. Apparently the same is true with clothing etc. She only has 4 wardrobes of clothing (2 in our bedroom and the two daughters wardrobes). I have one, well mostly my cloths. On the other hand i am permitted to store a limited amount of kits and models on the top of the said wardrobes.

As for my modelling purchases, mainly small value items, mainly from HK, being carefull to stay less than £15.

Our rule was I could have one more airframe than she had sewing machines....

Then I got some more from Alan....

She has the majority of the space in the craft room, mostly for sewing stuff, but at least a new model costs less than a new sewing machine or overlocker.....

Provided I pay the bills I get away with stuff. It's only if I buy a plane and am then short two weeks later when it comes to the mortgage that she gets snarky She also worries about lipo fires after a faulty charger ignited one, so I have to be doubly careful with where and how I charge them. She does mock me for being a nerd from time to time (fair enough really!), but I get a fairly easy ride.

Swissflyer

Until very recently I had considered Golf as quite boring. I had tried pitch and putt, very boring.

Whilst working I was always to busy with something, recreation for me was as chauffeur, when my daughters were at home. Then when they went to University, I was into classic cars, and driving the then current BL car of its day, always busy. Then my wife bought a Porsche, suddenly I found that cars did not always need repairing and actually went around corners and that 70 mph was no challenge, for however long. So I took up cycling. dumped BL, acquired my wives car as she had moved onto BMW.

When I retired, my wife got me onto a 9 hole course. In attempt to get me into the sport, she contrived for me to get a hole in 1. I think it was fudged somehow, as I just hit the ball as hard a I could, trusting to luck, where it went. I have come to understand that it requires a lot of skill and a lot of thought, as well as nerve. But still not really interested. Although I have gone to Royal Lytham to spectate at the UK national amateur championship. Where I found it really good, to watch.

Being old, lacking in skill and understanding of the requirements, I will never be a Golfer, that is beyond Erfolg, there will be no success.

Chrissy complained to me an hour or so ago that I don't fly enough & that she wants to learn . I "assembled" an Arising Star a few months ago and she's dying to fly it !She even bought it and a nice simple Tx /Rx combo with "proper" sliding trims, OS 52 Fs installed -- the lot. Beat that !

Mind you ,I am looking after 60 sheep, 40 plus chickens and their eggs ,11 cats ,5 goats ,4 ducks ,a family of pheasants that have taken up residency,feeding wild birds by the dozens ,herons about to settle and nest on the Derwent at the bottom of our garden .I won't mention rats and mice and minks and foxes that are dependant on what we're breeding .Can't complain though . We've been a bit damp underfoot for a while so havn't flown much .She's brilliant!

Posted by Eck on 08/06/2012 11:05:48:

Budget is severely limited, but that applies to everything, not just modelling. Mrs Eck accompanies me to the field when she isn't working, takes some wonderful photos and helps out at Club Open Days. Lucky Me!

Mr Eck, my wife is much the same - in fact without her help at our club's recent fly-in, we'd not have muffins, pumpkin soup, and invaluable help serving teas, coffes and the bacon butties i was busily cooking up. What's more she takes great photos too!

I know a chap on the other hand, who had to ask permission to go fly.

One afternoon he went flying without the wife knowing. 2-3 seconds (7 seconds + = a flight?!) and he yawed into the fence.

As he had not sought permission, he had to hide his misdemeanor for 2-3 weeks until he had a moment to fly legitimately. Thus he could then lay claim to the crash! Of course, all us club members knew about it,  but were sworn to secrecy lest divorce papers were served. For the greater good... tish tish!

Edited By Steve Fish on 24/06/2012 12:31:38

Edited By Steve Fish on 24/06/2012 12:44:46

• 4 weeks later...

My wife rekindled my flying, the model flying was a substitute after having flown k8 k13 k21 k23 full size gliders then slipping disc at work, I ended up not having the money to keep flying.

So one christmas the wot trainer appeared, wife also goes with me to the field when nice weather IE not this year!

As long as I tidy up and house chores are done for the wife she's happy.

Her indoors also goes with me to the air shows but goes mad if I hear a plane and rush to see what it is

Sounds a bit like me Steve, we're quite lucky I suppose in a sort of skewed manner. I solo'd in the K13 then joined the 'bottle neck' in the K8 until I gained enough hours for the K18, then once I got the Bronze C I qualified to full Silver in the Discus. After the instructors course I ended up either as 'talking ballast' or 'My God! He's trying to kill me!' sitting in the back until illness stopped it all.

Bless

• 6 years later...

Just found this!

A flyer in my own right (although not as good as Martin!). The first female member of the first club we joined that gained an A Test in any medium (A SFE). So far as aware, still only female member of existing club. Slightly a 'fair weather' pilot, but enjoy the trips with the water models (Twotter, Sealand, Piaggio and large FunCub). Just need to get confidence to have a go. The twin engine models more easy to handle than the FunCub as they have differential throttles which helps with the taxying.

I was the full size gliding 'crew chief' for a number of years, became quite adept at towing! Generally the trailer while Martin towed the caravan. HWMBO has Diamond C and over 2000 hours.

He retired from full size in 2009 to go back to modelling. For 26 years, I owned the tail plane and release hook of the SHK - after all he couldn't fly without them!

Mind you I am not the best of cooks, and hate shopping/shoes!

Sue