What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?

Posted by Doug Ireland on 21/06/2012 20:51:47:

My other half says she enjoys watching me build models from plans and has helped out on various occasions. As far as the cost is concerned, she never asks.

yes.....lucky me!laugh

Edited By cymaz on 26/01/2019 12:07:31

My wife of over 50 years and I have no separate money everything we have is jointly owned except , I guess, obvious things like my toy aeroplanes and her bike or our clothes etc. (she owns the back of our tandem ). She's always been positively encouraging about my hobbies and pastimes and often shares them from motor cycling, through sailing, cycling right to aeromodelling.

No problems at all. In fact I'm often puzzled by the comments some here make about sneaking a new kit into the workshop - though I suppose many of them are jokes.

Geoff

Both in our early 60s now and have known each other since age 17. Always share interests, my wife has been interested in aviation since a child, when her dad used to take her to London Airport's 'Queen's Buildings'. She enjoys all the modelling and full size events but is disappointed at not being able to spend more time over the club field because of the primitive facilities (not just a problem for the ladies, of course). Aircraft recognition and aviation general knowledge? I'd pit her against any bloke.

I am well set with my wife, she grew up with her father and brother flying RC and it was those two fine gentlemen who got me involved in model flying. Unluckily we live away from my in laws so getting to fly with them is an infrequent event. She has her hobbies too, gardening and paper / card crafting and that equally racks up the pounds, I am always amazed at how much quality paper and card stock costs as well as all the dies and embossing stamps. But then she is amazed at what balsa wood costs. What has turned out to be a useful cross fertilisation is she has a CNC cutter and I found I could use it for all the lettering and paint masks on the quarter scale Tiger Moth I completed last year.

Now in my 31st year of rc flying. My wife had never taken any interest in my hobby until i started flying water planes at Ullswater. She now has all the dates in her diary, I think it`s more of she can get a day out in the lakes, than a day flying planes. We sometimes come back to Yorkshire via Blackpool, so gets to the sea as well, if we come back via the Dales, we stop of at a very nice Pub in Austwick for Sunday lunch. I never tell her if i break a model, or buy something new. My view is the less they know the better.

Edited By CARPERFECT on 26/01/2019 16:37:20

My wife has no interest in model aeroplanes, but looks on in a kind of "yes dear" fashion.

I think she prefers me to be out flying than risking life and limb on one of my motorcycles or (my previous hobby / obsession) motor sport marshalling.

I guess when she starts to encourage me to go out on the 'bike I should start to worry!!dont know

As far as finance goes, she trusts me not to break the bank, although I always discuss any bigger purchases with her (such as a new kit, etc.).

All in all, a satisfactory arrangement that has served us well for over 40 years.yes

Kim

I have to say that my wife is brilliant (Yes, I have to say that) wink 2 ...........Seriously though, she's very happy and relaxed about my hobbies. I have both the utility room and a double bedroom exclusively for mogglin' and all she asks is that I keep within those limits and don't spread stuff to other rooms.

She's even tolerant of the smells from dope, thinners, resins, etc.......... As for spending, it's not an issue. Our finances are 100% combined and once the bills and living expenses are paid, the surplus is ours to enjoy. As long as she gets a couple of weeks holiday in the sun every year, away from all thoughts of work or hobbies, she's happy.

Yes, I'm very lucky.. Took me two attempts but this one's a keeper, lol. thumbs up heart

Posted by Stearman65 on 26/01/2019 14:19:58:

Iv'e had many hobbies over the 70 years since I started model aircraft, from scuba diving to ocean sailing, my current wife (24 years), knew what to expect when we married, so I have no complaints.yes

Now are you telling us you`re wife is 24 years old or that you have been married for 24 years dont know

Steve

Posted by Stephen Jones on 26/01/2019 19:20:31:

Iv'e had many hobbies over the 70 years since I started model aircraft, from scuba diving to ocean sailing, my current wife (24 years), knew what to expect when we married, so I have no complaints.yes

Now are you telling us you`re wife is 24 years old or that you have been married for 24 years dont know

Steve

I'm too much a gentleman to tell you her age, but she's 12 months younger than me.secret

Posted by Stephen Jones on 26/01/2019 19:20:31:

Steve

If his current wife is 24 years old, I'm surprised he's got any energy left for mogglin'.!! smile o smile p teeth 2