What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?

My wife has a horse so I hardly see her, she's always at the yard shoveling manure (please note the use of polite terminology). Also, having a horse is way more expensive than my aeromodelling budget as it requires fuel even when you are not using it and vets bills are a lot more expensive than balsa/ply and glue for repairs. Perhaps I should build her a life size wooden horse, any suggestions for IC or electric power? Any Greeks on the forum like to give me some construction tips?

Twenty five years ago my (then) wife delivered a stern ultimatum. Hands on hips she yelled, "It's me or the models."

I said, " I will help you pack."

That is when I discovered why divorce is expensive. ... It is because it is worth every penny.

It has been sheer bliss ever since. smiley

My spouse tolerates my modelling activities and has at times even indulged me by buying model related items as Christmas presents and that included my first ever R/C equipment - a single channel Mc Gregor set with rubber powered escapement.

When we first got together sixty years ago I was building a Hawker Fury from an Aeromodeller free plan. She liked what I was doing but later said that she thought I would soon grow out of building and flying. After nearly sixty years of marriage she is still waiting for that...

Malcolm

One of our moderators ladies relates, " not in a pub, chasing skirt, in a field in the middle of nowhere, with a load of other middle aged men."

I once made a big mistake. Day off, workshop in new house needed sorting. Now the house belonged to a serious kit car builder. Garage was, one generous car wide by 20 meters. So I needed a stud wall to close off a space. End of day, wall in, plasterboard done, finished, primed. Workshop in.

Beloved came home. Now beloved can be many things, but thick does not compute. She can recognise a wing disguised as a wall.

The Boss is pretty good about the hobby - as long as I don't let it get in the way of family commitments. I have also found that once you get to between 6 & 10 ( absolute maximum! ) airframes - a one in one out policy contributes to marital harmony, Also her tolerance of me sliding out anything up to five evenings a week during the season to fish the evening rise puts her in a class of her own.

My First wife was the daughter of a well known South African Modeller who loved giant scale WW1 aircraft. I thought this was the way to go as she was brought up with model aircraft. I think the years of exposure to paint and balsa dust had negativly impacted her and after 18 years of marriage we got divorced.

My second wife is very suportive of the hobby and loves the fact that she knows who I am with when not at home and also knows that I am in the workshop building or getting aircraft ready to fly when at home. She can also see how close I am with my son due to our common interest so she activly supports us and the hobby. Even the money I spend is not questioned as she knows that I do not spend what I cannot afford.

We met for the first time on 12th January so it's early days yet but Trish likes to be involved in club activities, thinks that my ability to build a model is marvelous, (my ability to bodge more like!) and she likes to carry my models down to the runway! laugh

One day I'll teach her how to fly!

trish and me at the ulster memorial on the somme 1st july 2019.jpg

Posted by David Davis on 10/07/2019 07:03:53:

We met for the first time on 12th January so it's early days yet but Trish likes to be involved in club activities, thinks that my ability to build a model is marvelous, (my ability to bodge more like!) and she likes to carry my models down to the runway! laugh

Looks like you are on to a winner yes

• 4 months later...
Posted by David Davis on 10/07/2019 07:03:53:

trish and me at the ulster memorial on the somme 1st july 2019.jpg

...and at La Coupe Des Barons 7th September 2019.

trish and me at the starting boxes..jpg

12th of January is a good date to meet. I first met daylight on that date a few (actually many!) more years ago So I'd say a good omen.

My wife's put up with my serial passions for well over 50 years (motorcycling, sailing, cycling, aeromodelling to name the main ones) with never a murmur and some degree of participation in some of them - though not the last.

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Encourages me to go flying. Likes to see me participating. It is my winter hobby, as I go single handed sailing for at least 15 weeks every year & that costs waaay more than a bunch of planes. She plays golf so as long as she can have unrestricted golfing she is happy.

This Xmas she spoke to our local hobby shop owner, who said that my planes were looking a bit tatty, so prezzie was a new ARTF. I bought her a golfing GPS watch with which she was delighted.

Happy days