Priory Models Silhouette

• 5 weeks later...

Same idea as all Priory Models, the fuselage was jig built at their factory, leaving you to finish the rest off, a quite quick kit build. The person didn't want it, so gave it to me - all complete - except undercarriage, but I had some spare. He might find it and give it to me. As engines, not sure, maybe a 60 two stroke, have 2 OS 60FP's...

revolution.jpg

Paul - you're a supernovastar - I've searched the net a few times for any info on the Supernova with virtually no success (not even a photo) but even this small amount of info might have avoided a model threatening incident with the one I acquired a couple of years ago.

I've been delighted with it - and it's interesting to see that the advert recommends up to 120 sized engines as the small amount of documentation that I got with it only mentioned 60s - I'm using an SC120FS which is perfect for the model.

The incident I referred to above was while doing a flat spin - it flatly refused to come out of it. It had needed a proper spin recovery previously on numerous occasions but nothing (including pulsing the throttle) would persuade it to drop its nose or stop rotating. Fortunately, there was a thick crop of maize between the air and the ground and the model suffered only minor damage.

After some thought, I made a new larger rudder (see the link for more info about why the rudder was just a guess) which is probably a very similar size to the one pictured in your advert and transformed its behaviour - spins now stop on command instead of after a turn or so...

I scanned the page in. Problem is that Priory were never tech savvy, and therefore had no on-line presence when they were trading. The last show they did was the Nats, about 6 years ago, and retiring from the company. I bought a Wombat then and built it - the last model from them..

Also, had a quick look through my pics files, there are more, maybe, but found a pic of their stand at Wings & Wheels in early 2000's

priorystandold.jpg

I have a super nova bought it at the nats must have been late 90s sat in the loft till end of 2016 when I had pneumonia. Had nothing to do sat about for 8 weeks so built it.

Flies really nicely with a 2 stroke sc108 have taken it to a ukcaa meeting but never flew it at one, but even though no one knew the model they where happy to let me fly it if I wanted to.

Not flown it for about a year now, might get it out Saturday and give it a go.

My original rudder doesn't look much smaller than the correct design but it's rounded at the top - perhaps that extra bit prevents blanking in a spin? How easily does yours recover?

This was the model before I enlarged the rudder...

super nova.jpg

and with the "improved" version...inverted due to trying to turn it through 90 degrees and the forum software doing the rest!

20190213_213138.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a part-built Silhouette if anyone is after one. Not fully checked parts against the build booklet yet, but most of it is certainly there. Wings have been joined so won't be able to post; I'm based in Glastonbury and am regularly in Liverpool.

No idea about price, so offers around, oooh let's say £10,000, but willing to haggle. laugh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have added a 3rd one to my models, i have my flyer which you can see earlier in this thread, an unbuilt kit and now a scruffy one picked up at a bring and buy a couple of weeks ago, no cowl on it and also unusually the front top decking is not foam but has been made from balsa. Thinking of making this one a wildly overpowered rocket ship on 6s party as i already have a great flying one on 4s..................