Priory Models Silhouette

Having looked back at the first page of this thread i was amazed to see the Silhouette owned by IanN in 2012, that is the airframe i picked up a couple of weeks ago. It is minus the cowl and had a stupid silver painted canopy fitted which as you can see quickly came off! As i say thinking of making this one a bit of a performer compared to my other one which is a great general sport flyer..........Mimg_20191205_091102_resized_20191205_091136820.jpg

IMO the Silhouette would look wrong with an engine mounted any other way than inverted.

Priory Silhouette

Priory Silhouette

Mine wore out a ringed Irvine 40 then flew for a year or two with the ABC version without any starting or running problems related to the engine orientation. In fact I can't remember any engine problems at all with this model.

To quote a reply I posted earlier in this thread :
"If you turn the engine over a couple of times by hand before attaching the glow battery & applying the starter you would be aware if it's been over-primed.

By doing this an inverted 2 stroke is less likely to suffer hydraulic lock problems than an upright one."

Here's a sketch of the tank layout I used :Fuel tube U bend

Note the fuel feed line is routed above the max fuel level.

If the model is filled when it's upright any overflow fuel finding it's way down the feed line will run out of the carb without entering the crankcase.

If the model is to be left standing between flights with fuel still in the tank, to prevent the fuel syphoning away the nose should be raised & the throttle fully opened (engine not running) so that the fuel line's contents drains back into the tank.

Edited By PatMc on 07/12/2019 22:18:51

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...