Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

Hello David

I see that you've a power 60 sitting idle, but may I ask, do you think an Eflite Power 46, or equivelant, is up to the job? I'm just daydreaming about future possiblities but the thought of the cost of 6 cell batteries is putting me off a bit. Power 46 on 4 cell, perhaps?

Ian

Posted by IanR on 23/06/2012 14:34:45:

Hello David

I see that you've a power 60 sitting idle, but may I ask, do you think an Eflite Power 46, or equivelant, is up to the job? I'm just daydreaming about future possiblities but the thought of the cost of 6 cell batteries is putting me off a bit. Power 46 on 4 cell, perhaps?

Ian

The Power 46 is a good motor. I've been using mine in a Hangar 9 Toledo Special which goes very nicely on 4 cell 20 4000 packs.

by IanR on 23/06/2012 14:34:45:

Hello David

Ian

I guess it depends on what you can get out of the system. The leccy auw will be around 7lbs approx? I seem to recall getting around 600 watts from my power 46 when swinging a 13x6.5 prop but I didn't really experiment with other props. The Toledo Special weighed just over 6lbs when I had my power 46 in it delivering 600 watts approx so it you can squeeze a bit more then it may be ok. It'll certainly fly it so it probably just depends on how much grunt you want.

Posted by Robin Kearney on 23/06/2012 16:45:23:

David thanks for the video, something about it sounds so nice with a FS upfront. Here I was planning to get a new OS55 to put in it and now you've got me thinking about a nice 70FS!

Am i right in thinking standard spec servos will suffice?

r.

Standards will be fine in it Richard, or even minis on the ailerons. Whatever you have to hand.

I have decided to use the same set up as my Wot 4 conversion ie Scorpion 3026-890KV with a Scorpion 70Amp ESC using a 12X6 APCE and a 4s Lipo battery I can get approx 1000W or 820W using 14X7 with 3S. I made up a small tray from some thin ply and can fit the battery pretty close to rear of fire wall . Will make up an adjustable one to sort out C o G.

A little hint - cover your canopy with cling film - stops scratches when working (not 100% foolproof - but does help)

Just read the excellent review (thanks Dave!) in the latest RCME of the Acro Wot ARTF. Looks good, although Mr Ashby had to add 8oz of lead up front (Shock horror!) with his ASP 70. This suggests to me that a slightly bigger engine would suit it more. Who reckons a Laser 80 (Best of British!) would be just about right?

CS

PS. I would still get the kit, I'm that sort of person. I wouldn't even get the kit, I'd get a Wot 4 kit, because I love Wot 4s.

David, I notice in your review you had to add quite a lot of nose weight, I'm considering a slightly lighter engine in mine so I expect I'll have to add about the same, if not more.

May I ask where you mounted the weight? To the FW or bolted to the front of the engine mount? Any pics of yours sans-cowl?

I was also pondering RX battery choice, did you manage to get yours under the tank and if so what did you put in there?

Reading the review has re-assured me I've made the right decision btw!

r.

Posted by Robin Kearney on 26/06/2012 19:13:24:

David, I notice in your review you had to add quite a lot of nose weight, I'm considering a slightly lighter engine in mine so I expect I'll have to add about the same, if not more.

May I ask where you mounted the weight? To the FW or bolted to the front of the engine mount? Any pics of yours sans-cowl?

I was also pondering RX battery choice, did you manage to get yours under the tank and if so what did you put in there?

Reading the review has re-assured me I've made the right decision btw!

r.

Hi Robin, Apart from a few dots of stick-on weights in the cowl (to fine-tune), it was a lump of church roof to the firewall below the motor extension. I use a two-cell LiFe battery which weighs very little so it sits inside the model albeit up front.

It's just a bit of a squeeze Stephen. Not impossible but I was left thinking I would rather pop the pushrod up through the hole (for fuel tubes) in the engine firewall. A task that's impossible after the engine is fitted and I wasn't inclined to remove the engine just to accomplish that task. I'll stand corrected if anyone thinks different. wink 2

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 26/06/2012 19:17:39:

Hmm, looks like the home for the laser 80 has arrived, descion time, trouble is, i get bored after 2 minutes with a wot 4, will the acrowot be any more scintalating,

Alan,

my AW has kept me amused for the last 25 years. New models distract me for a while but the AW is always kept airworthy. It's a rough weather model, a practise model, a weekend hack, a test bed - whatever you can think of.

It's been powered with various sizes  and types of engine, but it's current fitment of an SC52 4 stroke is as nice as any of it's higher powered incarnations have been.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 27/06/2012 10:52:04

Me being Mr Wot on the island, the new ARTF Acro Wot is a must to have. Some years ago I flew a friend's of mine Acro Wot powered by an MDS 61 and was fine. I do have a brand new MVVS 77, do you think that the MVVS 77 will be OK? I also have an SC 61 and a Thunder Tigre 46. I prefer the MVVS, what do you think?