Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

I cant, and never could understand the complaints about having to add ballast to the front of a model, specially a warbird, i see the mention of its bad enough having to add enough having to add 8oz of lead to a scale warbird, believe me, if its a scale warbird, getting away with 8oz is luxury!!

I am going to buy an acrowot at cosford, it will be having my laser 80, if it has to have weight up front, then it will get it, its going to be my heavy weather winter hack, i have even been known to ballast models up to make them fly solid, this is an aerobatic machine, not some flimsy 3D model, that needs to fly like a paper bag, the accy wot has a nice thick wing, ballast away, and enjoy it

OH, and sticking ballast weights to flimsy cowls may not be a good idea, they are held in place by tidgy screws, into wooden blocks, the vibration from the engine will shake those weights around, and this will get to the mounting points, dya not think??

Hello Alan

Take your point re weights on cowl - quite agree. I should have elaborated. . I normally beef up the the fixings on my cowl (I wouldn't describe the Acro wots cowl as flimsy !) in this case captives X 4 into fuselage using 3mm bolts and back of cowls reinforced with Carbon cloth. Max amount of weight epoxied into fuselage 60g. Rest is lead cast into 1.5cm steel tube and screwed into firewall - works pretty well.

Laser 80 sounds pretty good

Glad I've been reading this thread, as my original plan to put my Irvine .53 up front would have been a disaster. At the guts of 220g lighter than the ASP .91FS, I'd have needed practically the weight of the ASP up front in lead to get it to balance.

I can't believe that its been designed to need this much ballast up front, especially as the 2 stroke requirements are for a .40 to .55.

If the ASP 70 was a squeeze then I suspect the 91 will be even more so, as it 2mm wider.

I noticed the mount is identical to the latest Wot4 ARTF mount, and I had to drill the holes to move the mount closer together for my Irvine .53, so the same may be necessary to open slightly for the ASP 91.

I've offered up my Laser 80 to the fuselage and mount for a horizontal installation. It's all a bit tight and getting the engine/mount distance down to 120mm with the carb. and muffler missing the firewall is impossible. Making cut-outs in the edge of the firewall may be the way ahead.

If anyone else has installed a Laser 80 then I would be interested to know how you've done it ...

just a thought - has the fuselage been lengthened compared to the build kit? Could the fact that the rear fuse is 'less cut down' be adding weight as well?

Anyone compared the dimensions to the build kit?

(I just sold my built up Acrowot airframe - flew it for four years with an OS 55AX - it balanced & flew fine as built with that engine although I did reinforce the fuels tank area and inner firewall with glasscloth/epoxy....)

Jon

Have just completed mine and fitted OS60fx... but much better than the 46/55 recomended. but I still need 120gm nose weight to broing c of g..

Good luck everyone see you at the Chris foss fly in at Old Warden Sept. .I think there are plenty avaulable.. Geoff Stubbs Oundle I know has one. . The last of the old style model shops

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 02/07/2012 20:45:58:

My original Acro Wot had a Irvine 53 and flew very well with lots of power - so this new one must be a lot heavier !

acrowot

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 02/07/2012 20:57:53

The ARTF fuselage looks like it has been widened compared to your kit pic.