Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk from Traplet

Major

Hi all!

Just have found that kit - Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk Set.

I'd like to build this one, but have no building experience in warbirds, apart from very few Guillow's kits. Has anybody built this one and could tell me something about difficulty? Description says:

"This one-piece WWII fighter has been carefully designed by Robin Fowler for an easy build project and transportation in a small vehicle. Construction is of all wood from the well-detailed single sheet plan. Not for beginners. The set includes plan (MW3367), wood pack (WP3367) and ABS canopy (CA3367CY)."

Not for beginners... Does it mean "not for new pilots" or "not for new builders"?? From other side - "easy build project"...

I will be grateful if somebody will tell me some more about it...

Cheers

Tom

Hi Nev!

No, I have not... Firstly I wanted to find some info about it and as usual, seek advice on here. And, to avoid my House Manager getting really evil, I'll wait about a week or two more, before I order the set and all bits neededsmile p ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page....

About the size - it is bigger than my currently used plane, so I hope it'll be easier to fly as well, yet is not too big for another project.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom, my son Ben has had a couple of the GWS foam p-40s, same size as this, and with similar power systems. Very nice models, look the business in the air (there are some photos in my albums), but a terrible tendency to tip stall if slowed down. As this would normally happen when he was setting up for landing, there was no height to recover.....

This model MAY have wash-out incorporated in the wings to avoid tip stalling, but it may be a problem with the design (very tapered wing). Something to be wary of, at any rate!

Thank You for useful info Alex! Will keep that in mind.

I do expect some difficulties with building and flying as well. I never built that big model and of course never flown warbirs bigger than 375mm spanned foamy Spit... But CNC kit will make it much easier, for maiden I will go to some very grassy field and will just keep practicingwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. I searched for some other kits as well, but till now - this one beats everything...

• 8 years later...

I've just ordered the Guillows P-40 and will be trying to convert the plane to R/C. Being as this will be my very first kit to build, I'm going big with it and would ask anyone with help to assist me on any information I could find, perhaps alot of questions I have. Just needing the right information, doing my web searching now for parts, lots of you tube videos to watch. Great Hobby!