Macgregor Single Channel

Our club (SSA) was entirely FF & S/C when we joined, Macgregors were considered 'posh sets' - in fact anything commercial was!   I remember the MR200 style sets as extremely reliable - in fact I've several that still work fine after 50 years, though I wouldnt fly them - maybe a boat?  Most of the (non RF) capacitors are standard Mullard C280s. The soldering is excellent, unlike Fleets!   I do like my Moonbeam and OS Pixie though, as our very first commercial radio was a Pixie, and our first successful soarer was a Moonbeam, so the combination is super nostalgic - as is my Veron Impala on Remcon reeds - the exact combination from 1970something!

I had a set of MacGregor single channel radio 60 years ago when I was a boy.

It was utterly useless radio. . Range (or lack of it) was the main problem. On a good day, it probably worked as far away as 60 yards. . . Thank goodness for doing range checks. 

It went back for remedial work several times but the range never improved. 

Consequently it was a radio which never actually flew. 

The shop gave me my money back and I bought an RCS outfit..... which worked and was faultless.  

A year later, I bought anew RCS 10-channel reeds outfit.  It had over a mile of ground range.... considerably better than 60 yards.!!

• Like 1

It must have been over sixty years ago when I was given an ED single channel transmitter, a biscuit box which stood on the floor and transmitted through a tank aerial and a battered Mercury Monocoupe. I built a MacGregor receiver for it and was given an escapement. It had a range of about of about six feet but my soldering wasn't very good in those days!

The sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll years then intervened but three decades later I restored the model and covered it in silver Solartex. Powered by a PAW 19 and guided now by a Sanwa Conquest radio, it looked very smart. It survived one flight in my inexperienced hands. One of the wings parted company in the air! I burned the wreckage.

I still have the plan and it's a handsome model so you never know.

• Like 1