Chris Golds TB-3

Well - I did make my first foam cuts, and they where truly awful. That is going in thew bin.

I was thinking about putting this onto the back burner until the CNC HWC was finished, but as I am wrestling with the software/electronics interface at the moment, I'm thinking about doing it the other way round. in essence I'm going to cut some of the key ribs and cut foam in shorter sections, hopefully allowing me to keep a better control of the cutter. I'm also not going to cut the spars in initially, but add them afterwards.

Ah well, foam is cheap and experience is good.

Olly

• 6 months later...

Right. I am determined to make a proper start on this in the new year, so when I get home tonight I will be doing some sorting of the shed. I expect a tip run will be needed tomorrow. I just hope the weather forecast holds!

Once I have got the first bit of sorting done I will be able to wire in the outside light, and therefore do the next bit of sorting after dark/little one asleep....

Olly - aiming to leave the office by 3. I hope my boss doesn't have other ideas.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Olly - I was just thinking about this build as shortly I will be building a CNC foam cutter, as soon as I get my little CNC router finished off. Any progress or tips on the foam machine you can share? I was hoping to stick together a couple of those parasite fighters together to hitch a ride on your airframe too yes

• 6 months later...

I'm back!

I'm planning to do some foam cutting this week if i can get the time!

I have just checked and don't appear to have a complete wing plan sheet which I haven't cut at least some wing ribs out of. The problem is i appear to have taken ribs 1-6 from all of them (this is the only constant section) This plan is was published by Traplet, so getting another copy may be tricky. I have managed to find a traced copy of it, but need to make some photocopies I think.

I have just realised that in typing this out I have stumbled across a solution - the fuselage drawing side view has the wing shown for the purposes of fitment - this gives me the cutting template i will need!

Right, time to photocopy that part of the plan...

I have managed to selotape copy and cut a couple of outlines now. I am going to do the first foam cut tomorrow pm, hopefully. Need to see what I have in stock foam wise though, the centre section is over 60mm thick so need some thick foam. If not I might have to pick some up...

• 1 month later...

Not much to report I'm afraid. I had emergency surgery 6 weeks ago, and with my better half going back to uni i have had to take on more of the house/child related tasks so she can study.

I have a major DIY task to do in a few weeks, which requires me to clear the shed a bit (lot) to give drying room, so the result may be a workable space to do some modelling in!

Hopefully more updates by the end of November.......

Not much to report I'm afraid. I had emergency surgery 6 weeks ago, and with my better half going back to uni i have had to take on more of the house/child related tasks so she can study.

I have a major DIY task to do in a few weeks, which requires me to clear the shed a bit (lot) to give drying room, so the result may be a workable space to do some modelling in!