Autogyro Get togethers

Richard Harris

Considering the unknowns in these strange times we are in and the forecast I counted just under 100 model autogyros on the Saturday which most of flew, that's not to bad. We all had a great time as always and our thanks go out to Cali and his clubmates for inviting us for the 11th year on the trot at Winterton Model Flying Club.

There was a lot of laughs, plenty of flying, a bit of night flying and the odd repair under taken during the 3 days.

There was a BBQ on the Saturday and a  raffle on the Sunday of which, all told  we managed to raise around £440 for the local air ambulance which is great news.

Lets hope things take a turn for the better in 2021 giving us a little more time for folk to organise their trips over with confidence.

A bit of a video, will post some photos when I get chance.

Rich

• 1 month later...

A much belated thank you to everyone involved with the Winterton autogyro meet this year. What a brilliant weekend, first model aircraft do I've been to in years, and I had a blast. Mine is the Ken Wallis lookalike "Revolver" and although Richard test flew and trimmed it for me at the 2019 (I think, the last one, anyway) NATS and I managed to fly it myself, I have struggled to get it airborne since. He, and several others, spent a great deal of time over that weekend showing, and talking me through the take-off technique and today, the first opportunity since July, I successfully flew it at my home club site. It aroused a great deal of interest from my club mates, several of whom scuttled off home to dig out the relevant RCM&E back number!! It is going to be a regular flyer from now on. 

There were several examples of another pusher autogyro, the Mantis, I think, at Winterton. One of your designs, I believe, Richard? Was it ever published and are the plans available?

Thanks again, everyone, for a great weekend, see you next year.

David

12 hours ago, David Holland 2 said:

A much belated thank you to everyone involved with the Winterton autogyro meet this year. What a brilliant weekend, first model aircraft do I've been to in years, and I had a blast. Mine is the Ken Wallis lookalike "Revolver" and although Richard test flew and trimmed it for me at the 2019 (I think, the last one, anyway) NATS and I managed to fly it myself, I have struggled to get it airborne since. He, and several others, spent a great deal of time over that weekend showing, and talking me through the take-off technique and today, the first opportunity since July, I successfully flew it at my home club site. It aroused a great deal of interest from my club mates, several of whom scuttled off home to dig out the relevant RCM&E back number!! It is going to be a regular flyer from now on. 

There were several examples of another pusher autogyro, the Mantis, I think, at Winterton. One of your designs, I believe, Richard? Was it ever published and are the plans available?

Thanks again, everyone, for a great weekend, see you next year.

David

David,

Good to hear you have had a flight since we all met up.

We are meeting up again this Sunday in Warwickshire, Its advertised over on FB but oddly not here. Anyone interested PM Steve Jones 2 for further info.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 05/03/2022 at 17:03, Richard Harris said:

2022 UK International Gyro meet will once again be hosted at Winterton Model Flying club over the weekend of 17th -19th June. All required info is on the poster, any questions just ask here or give Cali a bell.

received_923497055034158.jpeg

Just bumping back up as we are 4 weeks away!

• 1 month later...

What a weekend, we were blessed with fine weather on every day with well over 100 model autogyros appearing of all shapes and sizes (and only one ARTF!).

The largest model there was Harold Booms own designed pusher, he travelled from Germany and managed to shoe horn 3 models into his 1980's VW Golf. This model has been developed over a couple of years with a few crashes along the way to get where it is today, it is now vice free and powered by a Moki 5 cylinder radial it's sports 4.5m rotors, he flew it many times over the weekend.

The ducting around the motor was added due to overheating of a couple of cylinders, this houses a fan unit which is incorporated onto the prop driver.

An outstanding model.

I will upload more videos and photos in the coming days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We will be having an Autogyro Fly In next Saturday the 6th August at a club in Peterborough, all are welcome. If you intend on flying then BMFA insurance is a must. 

Directions for Peterborough (parcs) new field. 

The nearest postcode is PE6 9AG From the village of Peakirk, take the road to Deeping Gate Called Peakirk road. This goes over a bridge which is over a river/stream, Then past the 1st turning on left (Church Street). Continue on another 800 yds or so and the field will be on the right, with a dirt track down the side. Park on the dirt track. We can fly from 10am until dusk.

Rich

• 1 year later...

Firstly, Im sorry about the short notice, I forgot to post this here.

I will be having a gyro day at my flying club in Kidderminster this  Sunday (15th October) with a back up day on the Sunday 22nd if the weather is poor.
Flying starts at 10.30am until 14.30 for ic and until 20.00 for electric. BMFA insurance is mandatory if you want to fly, we have an 82db limit @7m rule and a maximum span of 3m. 
If your interested in popping over to fly, get a gyro set up or just see what we do then send me a PM and I will forward the field location.
I will make a decision based on the weather forecast the Friday before and post here.

Rich

We were blessed with light winds and basking sun last Sunday, perfect for flying our gyros.

A big thanks  to all who turned up and helped out, especially Steve Jones who was busy all afternoon letting would be Gyronuts loose on the sticks (there was quite a queueat one stage). It certainly generated interest with some of the die hard fixed wingers to try something new.

I took a few photos and a bit of video footage.

Next Gyro day will hopefully be in November  sometime at The Heart of England Flying Club, not to far from Birmingham Airport. I will post the date once we known.

Rich

20231015_130909.jpg

20231015_130916.jpg

20231015_112337.jpg

20231015_144406.jpg

20231015_124724.jpg

Edited by Richard Harris
  • Like 1