'El Bandito'

Richard Harris

I have been having a clear out in my shed and came across my second ever OD autogyro (orange one), built back in 2006/2007. The first flew well (blue one)but was built light and used micro servos for the head control! every time it had a bump it was quite and effort to rebuild her. The original was scrapped and a second model soon followed, this was built stronger but lighter. Unfortunately the MK II never did fly great but it wasnt until recently that I realised the delta flapping head was around the wrong way!

my first.jpg

Mk I Bandit flew well

my second.jpg

MK II flew 'not s well'

Before the airframe is scrapped I decided to draw it up with some modifications to make it a 2 blade compatible. I flew my Panther on a 2 blade head as an experiment and it was rock solid in the air but the tail was just too close for comfort So ' El Bandito' as I have called it will be 2 blade friendly I hope!

img_1300.jpg

The electrics arrived a few weeks ago and building commensed soon after. Being just a box fuselage it has gone together very quickly and has turned oout surprisingly light for me.

A few photos of the build, as you can see the mast is removable and runs down slides built into the formers. Two 4mm bolts are built into the base of the mast and protrude through the bottom of the fuselage. A spread washer is added underneath to spread the load and the whole lot is in slight compression so as the fuselage and mast become 'as one'. This idea was used in the construction of the Panther and has proved durable and strong.

img_1302.jpg

Inner formers made up with an slide runners for mast fitment

img_1309.jpg

Fuselage after a couple of hours balsa bashing

img_1310.jpg

img_1312.jpg

img_1304.jpg

Battery hatch

img_1318.jpg

img_1323.jpg

Mast consists of a 6mm centre core, laminated each side with 1.5mm thick balsa with grain running 45 degrees and apposing each side. 4mm bolts are inset into ply wedges.

Ran out of room.

img_1319.jpg

Simple fuselage with mast slotted into position

img_1326.jpg

img_1328.jpg

Close up f the mast slotting into position.

The head has to move in all planes and is hinged accordingly. Three birch ply laminates, the centre having cut outs for big pin hinges was soon cut out and epoxied together.

img_1332.jpg

img_1333.jpg

Centre sections with cut outs for pin hinges.

img_1335.jpg

Fibre glass control arm made up and slotted into the top assembly.

And again!

Next I turned to the front end and built up thick soft balsa sheet around the electric motor.

img_1340.jpg

img_1341.jpg

img_1344.jpg

Hacked and sanded away until I was happy with a rough shape....and rough it is!!

img_1345.jpg

img_1348.jpg

Tail feathers are made from 6mm thick depron t keep weight down, mounted on a mount comprising of 13mm triangular section and a 1.5mm thick balasa mount slapped on the top.

img_1356.jpg

img_1357.jpg

Looks great! I keep threatening to build a gyro but never have ,now i'm retired i'll have a go at one Was you'rs a plan or kit?I would like to do an old design with the radial engin(plastic over the leky motor) Any ideas would be greatfully recived . Let me know how you'rs handels ? I't looks a load of fun .disgust

Bernie,

Mines just an Own Design, I will let you know how it goes when I am able to get out and try it.

One of Jaun del la Cierva designs would make an ideal candidate for what you are looking for, he did over 40 MK'S and 95% of them were fitted with radial engines.

Robotbirds do sell a styrofoam C30, its a little on the small side and because of the matrial used is a bit brittle 'in an event'. But I am told they do fly well. HobbyKing also sell a built up C30, these will only fly with some modifications as they are a touch on the heavy side.

Rich

Bernie..do it!thumbs up, if you are a fixed wing flier are sure to enjoy flight characteristics.

I have progressed a little further but not much due to work commiments. The spindle being used is an old master airscrew 500 gearbox, I have started making a bespoke spindle but will fly it as is for the time being.

2 pairs of blades have been cobbled up, the first smaller set uses Aerobalsa blades (see link)

AEROBALSA

These have had their tips faced with Glass Fibre sheet for added rigidity.

img_1386.jpg

Second set is a set I made up which are a little wider, these have already been test flown on a model and worked well.

img_1388.jpg

As you can see both sets have got weights added towards the tips, this is a must with any two bladed rotor.

img_1385.jpg

The plate to which the blades are mounted has to be flexible, I have made mine from 1.5mm Fibre Glass sheet though I may try some thinner stuff if i can locate some.

img_1383.jpg

You will aslo notice that the blade root ends are are angled, this alters the angle of attack of the blade into negative as the blade is pushed upwards. At the spin up stage this negative incidence helps rotor spin making it quicker.

And one last snap of it fitted with its blades, they need to be balanced and covered then its time to take it out for a crash test.

img_1384.jpg

Rich

Managed to get out this morning for some trimming flights but I ran out of right trim on my transmitter. So a bit of mechanical adjustments and I escaped out again this evening.

I did get a few flights in and it certainly shows potential but 'Sod's Law' came into effect as the camera started rolling and I ended up making a pilot error as I came round for a 'touch and go'. I entered it in a yaw turn and I was unable to correct resulting in a tip over to the right. Damage sustained was a broken roll servo out put arm plus the rudder pulled out and a bit of egg on my face!

Will make the repairs tomorrow and try again.

img_1479.jpg

img_1482.jpg

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Good morning I hope you are all wee and keeping sane

lock down is giving building time to finish my El bandito but I have a couple of questions please if anyone can help//

(1) The C of G position on the plan is the balance point at the point where the arrow is shown on the plan IE to balance on a point at the top of the hatch or can it be any vertical point down from that line(if you have the plan I hope that makes sense)

(2) was going to use an OS30 4Stroke but may make it a bit nose heavy. What electric motor can anyone recommend to suit.

Regards Richard Franks

Hi Richard,

To answer your first question, the balance point shown can be taken anywhere in its vertical plane just like a fixed wing, I did this as most who try autogyros are fixed wing pilots and they are more comfortable with this method.

Its been a few years since I built this model and it was moved to a new owner, when I get time later I will dig out the plan and see if I added any of the motor information I used at the time to which I will find suitable set up for you.

That said the OS 30 four stroke would sound nice in it, you could always move the receiver battery back to suit? or even shorten the nose.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...