'UnCanny'

Well I went out this aftermoon to test fly 'UnCanny', I would love to say it left my hand and flew straight as a die but unfrtunately it didn't.

I got my friend Martin to launch it for me and it climbed away then started yawing to the left and splat!..luckily it hit flat and no damage was sustained.

We had a hearty discussion as we do and decided to add some church roof, this improved thing 3 fold but there was still a tendancy to yaw left at lower speeds.

Third try saw a bit of 'tweeking' to the fins and adding a touch of right thrust to the motor, even better.

I plucked up the courage to open her up....it's a rocket ship! so smooth at speed but slow it right down and the yaw comes in.

So the plan, either make some larger fins or add a single fin at the rear of the cockpit and add a rudder.

More to come I hope but here is a video of attempt 2 & 3 please excuse the footage as it's not great.

Rich

Thank's boys, I am sure the larger fins will do the tricksmile

Now,

I have some 6mm and 3mm balsa sheet left over and this got me thinking again. What happens if I could use the same wing and almost the same foreplane and shuffle them about a bit?

Well again going back to the mass build I did fancy the Pushy cat, my vote was to build but it never did stand a chance. Sooooooo...the shuffling of the wing on solid works ended up being a twin boom thingy!

I will have a play some more as I dont like the fins, they just kept looking like a concorde fin and we can't be having that now!

Just sketching at the moment, i dont see why it shouldnt fly though? May be a good winter hack!

ricochet j peg.jpg

Rich

Stephen,

Surprisingly as it went faster it got smoother to fly, rolls were quite axial and loops looked...well odd as it came out of them what my mind thought was tail first! I didn't have the bottle to try it inverted but I will the weekend if I get these larger fins made.

There was one thing I was worried about on the first launch by myself and that was powering up and catching my hand in the prop. Luckily there was no pain or blood so perhaps I was worrying about nothing, only time will tell.

Rich

Yes Richard ,

Thats the problem with canards they have a narrow speed envelope in which they are happy flying in .

And why so many have problems landing as there air speed has to be kept up ,

However i think i have a way to slove that problem but as yet i have not put my theory to test , and one day soon for sure i will get around to it .

I think that yours is quite acceptable the way it is , although i haven't been on the sticks it looks ok in the video ,

Well, what can I say?

The fins have been made larger so off to the field I went this afteroon. Launched it and it peeled off to the right so a touch of left was added.

It flies like a dream now, what a transformation!!. Fast sweeping passes are really nice, tight figure of eights, loops, rolls,hestitation rolls and even a rolling circuit (at height of course).

Slow it right down and the whole model just waggles in roll with no real stall appartent, with non of the yawing it had last week what so ever.

All I can say is I am chuffed and I will certainly enjoy ringing this one outteeth 2, it's better than I expected by far and I think it looks pretty sleek as it whizzes past.

A video was made but as yet I havent had time to sift through it.

One happy bunny! can you tell?

Rich