'UnCanny'

• 7 months later...

Stephen,

'UnCanny' was taken down South 8 months ago to be photographed, unfortunately on that day the weather was not ideal for this so it was left down there for a more favourable light conditions. With Graham's heavy work load and far better models to publish I think it may well be a long time coming, but I am sure it will eventually.

I have been thinking about a larger version with an U/C fitted (maybe even retracts)

Rich

I see bad light wink .

Thats what i got told too .

Ar well , maybe stick to Gyro copter`s Ah face 22

Or maybe they is worried about that wizzy thing at the back .

I can imagine it at the field , no you throw it and i will fly it , No i`ll fly it and You throw it lol .

Maybe they will ask you to fit a hook on it and bungee it ah .

The thing is Will we ever get good light now summer only last two weeks of the year .

Only joking .

May be a bigger one with tricycle under carriage that retracts would favor the light better  .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 03/07/2013 14:46:08

Stephen,

It was very interesting actually, regarding the photography talk. Take for instance the winter months, Mr Average with his point a shoot camera would just take a snap of the model regardless and would end up being pretty pleased with his photo (like I was). Something I had never even thought about was the position and hieght of the sun until I asked Graham why he could only take photos up to a certain time.

Try taking a photo on a bright sunny day in the middle of winter later on in the day and see how long the shadows are. It does look ridiculus! but not obvious until someone who is skilled in that field points it out you.

So, despite the model not being photographed due to the weather it was quite an interesting conversation/lesson.

Rich

Some good news ,

Have you heard we are in for two weeks of sunshine .

So with any luck you might get you're model photos done and we can all look forward to seeing something Uncanny in the Mag .

Thats Providing the sun is lined up with the celestial body`s that be of course .

I think you should leave it at the size you have already done it and without wheels .

It would be too slow to enjoy if you did it any bigger .

No point in me submitting any further designs , It`s always grim up north , and i am on call just as the sun is due crying no fun for me in Sun .

Boo Hoo Hoo .

• 3 months later...

And finally, a few stills of the model flying, taken a few months back kindly by Foamie Dave. One day I hope to build a bigger version.

Unfortunately it did not make the grade to be published but the enjoyment for me has been the designing and building. I will, of course fly the canards off it. It is a very nice predictable flier and handles the wind very well, always good to have a model like this in our RC arsenal.

Rich

img_0033.jpg

img_0069.jpg

img_0168.jpg

img_0295.jpg

img_8994.jpg

img_9043.jpg

img_9101.jpg

img_9156.jpg

img_9262.jpg

That a really nice looking aeroplane, very well done! 👍

I guess the only reason it didn't make the grade is due to the fact that 'another' canard is being featured in a well know publication very soon.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but here's a picture of a free pull plan out from years ago, the Dranac. I covered the whole airframe in lightweight tissue, spray painted using car touch up paints, and then finally fuel proofed with Tufcoat. I can't remember which Cox motor I used, but I do remember that it flew very well.

Dranac

Bill,

Nice Dranac, clever use of the name Canard too!

Peter,

Yes I have been following the eGO for some time over on facebook. Infact, I contacted them asking if I could make a model of it 6 months ago, but never did get a reply.

There is another aircraft I have seen over in the US that is just up my street, I contacted them also and they replied the next day saying it would be fine to replicate their aircraft and to link them to the build when it gets started. They seem pretty keen.

It is top of my fixed wing list once I have completed a few autogyro projects. It is the ION and can be found HERE, what do you think?

Here is a video

Rich

• 1 month later...

You got me interested so I looked up the Japanese ww2 aircraft. Kyushu J-7W Shinden. As it is a prototype, the fins may be improved as J7W2 and that was a jet ! I liked tha canopy on that as well.

I know the Japanese liked to experiment and may go back to a pusher prop if that gives a better performance and reliability as the early jets may only last a few flights before replacing.

oh dear, That is another model on my wish list to build.

For me, an early jet would be a vampire to build as a model. Maybe a J7W2 Shinden as a depron model if the vampire is a success.

• 2 weeks later...

Final pics of the airframe build before I start covering....

sam_1954.jpg

sam_1955.jpg

Wing fins added with upturned tips...

sam_1956.jpg

Cockpit area with 2ltr pop bottle cut down for a canopy, no need to make a plug and vacform....

sam_1957.jpg

Rear 2mm ply bulkhead fitted , mountings for the motor and I decided to cut a slot for the motor wires to keep internal......

sam_1958.jpg

Elevator servo installed with simple link....

sam_1959.jpg

Main wing glued in position with mount for double servos, extra hole in fron former to pass radio wires into Bateeery/RX area..

sam_1960.jpg

Top hatch will be held on with front peg and magnets.... So onto the covering wink

Steve