'UnCanny'

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the weather gave us a fantastic day. A visit to Rich local field and all ready to go...

sam_1983.jpg

A helping hand for the launch and she was away - blimey quick. Some up trim and right at half power and I thought I was dialed in.. Open the powe for a fast pass and ..Oh no a sharp dive without control and a suddent stop ..frown

Not sure why but a bit of rebuilding and soon will try again. Looking forward tho as looked fantastic in the air.cheeky

Steve

Not sure really, radio lock out maybe, dont think for a second it was the model.... Oh well

So, after the unfortunate events of yesterday - Dispicable !!!

.. onward and upward. Quick reference to the plan and in the words of Rolf Harris... " Can you tell what it is yet ????cheeky

sam_1984.jpg

New foreplane, complete new front end..... The model had a bit of lead in so I'm not bothered about front end weight in the rebuild..... And they said RTF was the way to go....laugh

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 17/02/2014 21:49:00

Steve,

I have been thinking about it and it all happened when you opened the throttle to full, it was like all signal was lost at that point. Maybe a drop in voltage caused the loss of signal, for me I would bin the receiver for what its worth.

You have my total respect at even attempting to rebuild her! the nose was at least 10" in the ground!

Rich

Steve

I've done a bit of digging on the battery to esc lead extending as mentioned yesterday.See this thread

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=25355

It seems to point to a possible cause, that motor just sounded odd from the start

Glad you are rebuilding......It was too good looking to throw in the bin.

Cheers

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Right, all done and back in the game !!cheekysam_1991.jpg

So giving consideration to the flick left at full power up from half throttle:

1. Torque roll which caught me out then I didnt recovery - Pilot error

2. Radio issue with esc as I lengthened the battery wires - New ESC fitted with battery wires as supplied and slightly longer motor wires.

3. RX issue with Orange 615 Rx - new one fitted but a 620 with additional sat rx.

4. New front canard servo fitted as old was damaged in crash

5. Finally motor moved down 3 mm to try and get on wing centreline (almost). trimming out on first flight needed all my down trim.

Fingers crossed for another attempt next weekendsurprise

Steve

Steve,

I take my hat off to you mate, a great rebuild in such a short space of time.

Mine flies with everything inline, if you hang the model from the motor shaft the wing and foreplane should hang perfectly vertical. The thrust line,wing and fore plane should all be parallel with each other, mine flies with no trim added.

You are more than welcome to pop over again?

Rich

• 2 months later...

A bit of a gap but today, after the 4th nose and foreplane re build I tried again. Since the maiden and the 3 attempted take offs,  the model consistently rolled left and Icould not recover.

This time I thought... right last chance !

As I was loading the battery and checking the controls I suddenly noticed the black trim stripe on the left wing loose at the front edge. Examination showed the rear edge was stuck firmly to the white part of the wing but the front was not stuck to the red.

So, effectively it is allowed to flap up and stayed at 90 degrees to the wing, acting like an airbrake fence !!!!! See below. No wonder it yawed and rolled left !!

sam_2062.jpg

So I taped the whole strip and went for the flight....

The result... arrow straight and a joy to fly. second flight I adjusted the controls to my liking and .. what a fantastic model!!!!

Amazing, this must have been the cause of the maiden crash and in all the rebuilds, I did not notice and it stayed flat.

30 yrs of modelling and you never stop learningfrownfrown

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 01/06/2014 21:18:23

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 26/01/2014 at 10:53, Richard Harris said:

Steve,

Great work on the covering and I do like the pilot teeth 2

Steve A,

Let me have a look, I think I may have got a couple of plans printed at the time I built the prototype, if I can find one you can have one on me. But don't expect an all singing all dancing plan, it is just enough to build from.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Is there any chance you may still have a drawing of Uncanny I can purchase off you please? I still think it would be great to see published in RCM&E in the future also.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards 

Steve Adam's 

10 hours ago, Steve Adams said:

Hi Rich,

Is there any chance you may still have a drawing of Uncanny I can purchase off you please? I still think it would be great to see published in RCM&E in the future also.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards 

Steve Adam's 

Steve,

I will look through my memory sticks and see if its there but I've got a feeling I didn't hang on to it due to lack of interest from the mag.

I've not long  joined a like minded  group on FB which has renewed my interest in canards, enough to have scribbled up a new design around the same size as UnCanny,  I need to transfer it from paper to CAD in the near future. 

Rich

• Thanks 1

Thankyou Rich,

What was the reason RCM&E rejected Uncanny as it looked so good and flew so well? A twice size version could be even better received,but tbh at the size it was is convenient and having a boot full of small models like these that seem to penetrate easily through our windy UK weather appeals greatly to me. Anyway thankyou for all your wonderful designs(particularly your Autogyros) over the years,you are a terrific designer,builder,flyer and I'm sure I speak for many other RCM&E readers I look forward to seeing many more designs of yours in print in the future regardless of what they are. Thankyou again for responding to me on what was a very dormant thread.

Kindest Regards 

Steve ??

Edited by Steve Adams

28 minutes ago, Steve Adams said:

Thankyou Rich,

What was the reason RCM&E rejected Uncanny as it looked so good and flew so well? A twice size version could be even better received,but tbh at the size it was is convenient and having a boot full of small models like these that seem to penetrate easily through our windy UK weather appeals greatly to me. Anyway thankyou for all your wonderful designs(particularly your Autogyros) over the years,you are a terrific designer,builder,flyer and I'm sure I speak for many other RCM&E readers I look forward to seeing many more designs of yours in print in the future regardless of what they are. Thankyou again for responding to me on what was a very dormant thread.

Kindest Regards 

Steve ??

It was a while ago now but I think it coincided with Nigel Hawes's 'Can Do'. It is well worth taking a look at that, plenty of excellent build logs on here if memory serves me correctly. I would think that the plan is also easy to get hold of from Sarik.