PB Models Bean - Any Tips

Tony H

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a PB Models Bean from the unfortunate demise of Galaxy Models. I am using a Irvine 40 in it, I wondered if anyone had any hint's or tips for me?

I'm planning to make it a quick plane either with retracts or very thin wheels for less drag. Covering it in Florescent Orange and Black.

Anyone flown one? It will be one of three winter builds for me, Magician, Bean and Jester.

Hi Tony,

I built one earlier this year but it hasn't been up yet.sarcastic

Check through the instructions & drawings before starting the build as

they don't quite match up with all the bits in the kit.

If you use them, I'd also rake the legs forward a bit as nose overs look

likely to happen if they aren't & check that the sections of the U/C wires

which enter the wing aren't slightly too long & make a dent in the top

wing surface!

Good luck with the kit, I enjoyed building it.

Edited By Richard Wood on 18/10/2012 16:02:50

Thanks Steve and Richard,

Like your work Richard nice and colourfull I hope it flies well, when's the maiden?? You don't get much in the kit for your money do you, Luckily I got it half price from Galaxy's closing down sale, just £50. I intend to use a 10x8 Prop on her to make her quick.

Did i hear my name......... ahhh the bean, stupid name ...great plane.

Wish they would have left it at the skyliner, it is far more descriptive of what a fantastic flyer this baby is, the irvine 40 is ok although a some lead in the bum area will prob be needed, the irvine is a wonderful thing, but lightweight she is not, so think carefully about where you put the rx battery

To be honest i did not find the u/c needed raking forward but then again i suppose it depends on the landing style, my model now resides with another member of my club and he loves her to bits and he has said he will put bigger wheels on her... hey ho!!

the model is very groovy and perfect for passing your A and B certs on, i passed my B on her!! a real delight to fly and she is a toughie in the real trad model style. perfect for these winter days.

ok i know what you are saying about extra bits in the kit, but remember the cost of a plan pack from our very own my hobby store, we do not live in vietnam, we live in the UK, and this kit is made in the UK. a plan complete pack for the harliquin for example is 120 quid broadly in line with the bullet and bean.... this is the real cost of kits i am afraid !!!

Thanks Lee,

I shall no doubt put close coupled servos in the tail and the rx battery towards the back, plus I'll use a plastic black spinner to save weight at the nose.

I have a fairly large round dowel shaped channel down the center or each wing from the joining parts am I missing an Aluminium joining spar or is it for something else?

I see what you mean Lee, maybe I should try plan B and put the servo's a few inches behind the T.E of the wing with the Rx batt further down the tail.

Did you find the Bean quite a quick plane it looks like it would fly as if on rails like a Pattern.

• 2 months later...

As the original designer of the "BEAN" some insight from me may help.

Wheels should be on leading edge of wing for ground handling.

Spinners were origianally Fox Slim Jin Ali 21/4" dia.

Dave Mason built the original version, covered in metallic green Kwik kote.

Very fast with HP 40, but great allround flight envelope, smooth stayed where you put it and landed really slow nose up dragging it in on power.

You can read about more of this in my book, see avatar

Agreed a stupid name for such a sleek quick plane.

Thanks Brian and Lee, I was thinking of putting electric retracts on it with extra lightweight thin wheels like on my Magician. The design has a long moment arm so I would expect an almost pattern ship style perfomance smooth and staying where you put it.

• 4 weeks later...

This came about from Paul Bardoes request for me to design a bi plane for his PB Models range.

It is based on my old Skydancer design, as that lends its self to a bi plane configuration, also being retro design has lots of room in the fuselage for radio gear and old servos in particular.

Model is 38 inches span, power Tornado Thumper motor, 4 cell 4200 Lipo battery, has not flown yet due to lousy weather, but will keep post updates as and when